Poll: Feeding Quantity ?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Based on another post of mine, I was wondering how much dry food everyone feeds their cats....

I didn't do an actual poll, because there are too many variables... so I was hoping ya'll could copy and paste the info below? I would appreciate it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Age of Cat:

Quantity of Dry food:

Do you feed wet as well, if so, how much :

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you

I'm well aware that these answers will vary greatly, with age of kitty, food brands, etc. Also there will be variation due to the animal itself.....just because our kitties get fed more, doesn't nessecarily mean they will be obese...some kitties have higher metabolisms than others.

Of course, obesity is a concern of mine, in the long run. Right now it is not, because I believe kittens should be allowed to eat what they want... similiar to a baby, when my daughters were under a year old, I would not cut them off of nursing because they did it for hours at a time and people said my one daughter would get fat. Yes she was chubby, but as my BF coach said, she started off her life weighing 11lbs, she needs to eat alot to keep up to her grow curves... now she is a well built healthy 8yr old

I'm going to start keeping a feeding diary... it would be neat to see if I can see the kitties growth spurts

Thx.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Age of Cat: 4
Quantity of Dry food: about 1/2 cup
Do you feed wet as well, if so, how much : 1 small (3 oz) can

Harley gets wet food in the morning; usually she finishes the whole can, sometimes she leaves a tablespoon or so. I split her dry into two meals over the course of the day. She doesn't get the second 1/4 cup of dry until her bowl is empty; which takes her quite a while because she's a nibbler. The second 1/4 cup she gets usually lasts her all night. She's 8lbs and fairly petite.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
age 4.75 years eats measured free feed dry food about 5/8 cup a day plus a little raw of homemade , till age 4 at about 1 1/4 cups per day .. she is perfect wt now and always was on the lighter side of normal.. wt 8.5 lbs to 9lbs female

Age 4 yrs dry food free feed measured given 3/4 cup a day eats 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup.. get homemade "snacks".. recent rescue needing to "beef" up.. appr 10 lbs female

Age 19 months measure free feed dry food 3/4 cup times two ( brothers ) ... they get 3 oz each of wet food a day ... one is 14 lb s and perfect , the other is 13.5lbs and perfect both male

age 12 months eats about 3/4 cup to 1 cup per day ( measured 1 cup ) and 3 oz wet per day ... male weighs 13 lbs still growing

darling poodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
3 years old, He has a bowl of dry food left out at all times. If I limit his food he goes crazy like he is starving but if I leave it out he doesn't really eat much, he just likes to know it's there if he gets hungry
He gets an occasional pouch of wet food as a treat, maybe once a week. He tends to be on the heavy side so he doesn't get wet very often....

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
9 1/2 months old - in between 1/2 and 2/3 of a cup. No Wet - I tried everything, numerous brands, even baby food - nothing. +- 9-10lbs

jscole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Age of Cat: 14 weeks, hasn't been weighed since we got him on Dec 3 where he weighed 3.2 lbs
Quantity of Dry food: free fed 1 cup of dry kitten food per day as per package directions
Do you feed wet as well, if so, how much: no wet... not yet anyway...

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Age of Cat:
8 months

Quantity of Dry food:
Free feeding. I fill his bowls whenever they're empty. I'm guessing he eats 1 to 1.5 cups per day.

Do you feed wet as well, if so, how much :
I try to. Just a teaspoon or two once a day but he's not eating it. I'm still trying to find a wet food he likes. I guess he's picky!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my 5 share about a cup of dry kibble each day - somedays they eat it all, somedays not. i feed dry in the mornings.

if i'm feeling ok [been having a LOT of headaches lately
] my 3 wet eaters share a can of wet w/about 3 tablespoons of homemade added to it at night - again, some mornings it's all gone, some mornings it's not.

Pixel's a bit pudgy - Chip could stand to lose a couple of pounds - but the rest are just right. Firefox & Java are downright svelte!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the responses please keep em coming.

Originally Posted by jscole

Age of Cat: 14 weeks, hasn't been weighed since we got him on Dec 3 where he weighed 3.2 lbs
Quantity of Dry food: free fed 1 cup of dry kitten food per day as per package directions
Do you feed wet as well, if so, how much: no wet... not yet anyway...
This response really helps me as did the one by lovemykitty3, as in my other posts, some people thought 1 cup was too much and I didn't have the kitten food bag to doublecheck.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Age of Cats: Two this September

Quantity of Dry food: None

Do you feed wet as well, if so, how much: 16.5 ounces a day total

Allen weighs 9lbs, 6.5ozs and is in perfect condition. Rachel weighs 9lbs and is a little thin. Meghan weighs 9lbs, 14.5ozs and she's a little chunky (she would tell you she's "heavy-boned"
).

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Age of cats, five cats aged 4, 7, 9, 11 & 14

Quantity of dry food: 1/2 cup each, sometimes 2 cups between them

Do you feed wet as well, if so, how much: yes, they get 100g between them - Bumper does not eat wet and Magnum only eats it if he feels like it

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have nine cats that are free fed dry food. I have two bowls that I refill once daily. They hold approximately 3 cups of food each.

Ages, genders and weights of the cats. All are perfect weights for their size.
8 years, male, 15 pounds
5 years, female, 9 pounds
2 years, male, 7 pounds
1 year, male, 10 pounds
1 year, male, 10 pounds
9 months, female, 7 pounds
6 months, male, 5 pounds
6 months, male, 6 pounds
5 months, male, 4 pounds

I also put wet down for them all, but only a few times a week is as often as I can give it right now.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Age of Cat:5 yrs

Quantity of Dry food: 1 3/4 cup a day

Do you feed wet as well, if so, how much : wet food gives him the runs

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 Cats ages 14yrs, 1yr and 9mos
I free feed dry and they split a 6oz can of wet every evening.

No one is overweight and all are still very active.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
oops! i forgot ages for mine! got an 11 year old, a [approximate] 5.5 year old, a 4 year old, a 3.5 year old & a 1.3 year old...

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Age of cats: Two of them are two years and four months old, one is just over two years

Qty. of dry food: 1/3 cup each per day

Wet food: Yes, about 2.75 ounces - or half a can - each per day

One of my cats is just a bit overweight (he's a big, muscular cat, but he could stand to lose a pound or two). The other two are at a good weight. One is smaller than the others and won't finish his dry food; it's my job to be vigilant and make sure the others don't get whatever dry food he leaves in the bowl!

nil4664

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Age of cats: One 3yo female (8.5lbs) and one 7mo female (6lbs)
Dry food: none
Wet food: slighty over 1/2 cup per day (1/4c in am, 1/3c in pm) each.

Fed separately because the older one's a slow eater. The young one seems to have stopped her growth spurt, so I may have to cut her down to 1/2c for awhile cause she seems to be getting a little heavy and not as active.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I think Kizzy is perfectly normal now..... I've come to realise that for a kitten, feeding is basically as much as they will eat, similar to human babies

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both cats eat the same amount, even though Neko is larger, he is less active and Willie very active.

They both get 1/2 cup daily which is split into two meals. on a day when they get wet food they get their 1/4 cup in the morning and half of a 5.5 oz. can at night (each).