Cable or Dish?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby and I have Cable and are getting less and less satisfied with our cable service because of reduced channels and increased prices.
What are your opinions on Cable or The Dish?
If you have a Dish, do you get good reception in rain and snow?
Any other opinions or observations would be good.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a Dish and love it.
it messed up when it hailed the other night but it works much better then cable.
My dad retired from Comcast and he has cable and a dish.
The reception is alot better with a dish.
For us its worth it.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have both. I have very few, if ever, any problems with DirecTV, except when it rains really hard and that bothers me because when we have weather THAT bad, I want to see whats going on with the weather on TV.
Cable I have issues with all of the time, but issues with the DVR boxes, not doing everything we pay for them to do.

If I didnt have any issues with DirecTV when we have bad weather, thats what I would use all of the time. Cable, Im on the phone with an issue with them at least 1 x a month but thats with several DVR boxes, but it gets so old.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have cable and internet together and I haven't had any problems since I got the DVR box. I had to have the box I had before the DVR one replaced twice. Maybe two or three times I have had to reboot the box, no big deal just unplug it for a minute or two and plug it back in, so far that has fixed the problem. Cable probably depends on the company you have. They do have two companies here so the competition probably helps a lot with service and reliability.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cable and live in a little town in rural Nebraska. We have had terrible service in the past and it was non stop issues with them almost every month! I was on them everytime the service went down. It got to the point I turned them into the FCC for charging for services they couldn't deliver! Where I live it seems like if the cow kicks the bucket over and it hits the cable wire we are done

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

I have cable and internet together and I haven't had any problems since I got the DVR box. I had to have the box I had before the DVR one replaced twice. Maybe two or three times I have had to reboot the box, no big deal just unplug it for a minute or two and plug it back in, so far that has fixed the problem. Cable probably depends on the company you have. They do have two companies here so the competition probably helps a lot with service and reliability.
There is only one cable company here. At least once a week, the cable box has to reboot which is completely too often IMO.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have Bell express-vu . Our cable We live in a small town. one cable company and they are horrible. The only weather that really causes us problems, Is freezing rain.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

Maybe two or three times I have had to reboot the box, no big deal just unplug it for a minute or two and plug it back in, so far that has fixed the problem.
I have to reboot my DVR boxes several times, its the first thing Charter suggests with all issues and it does resolve a lot of the issues, but whatever Im watching or recording gets lost because I had to reboot, whereas with DirecTV that never happens at all.

It iritates me that I know with Tivo I am never rebooting the boxes but with the DVR boxes I am always. I have also had to have several of the DVR boxes replaced and lose all of my recorded programs.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Same here..I feel like the dish wouldn't work in certain weather?
My parents have a dish & its awful in the bad winter weather & rainy, stormy summer weather

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dish here! I rarely watch TV though, I wish we would get rid of the whole thing

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are not allowed to have a dish at our apartment complex unless we get a very expensive insurance policy, so we have cable.

We haven't had that many problems but tonight, the cable was off for about an hour.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a dish from DirectTV, & i'm relatively pleased with it - had it for several years. i much prefer it to the cable i had previously. i don't get good [if any] reception when there are storms to the south of me, but otherwise it works well.

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had horrible internet service with cable, and increased prices after my promotional rate on the basic expanded cable. The customer service was horrendous!! I could rant and rave all day about it but I'll spare you the details.
I have internet through AT&T and it has yet to go down; with cable, no lie--20 to 30 times a day it would go out.

But, I have more time to read, do crafts, play games now. But I do get two channels for now without cable but otherwise, I just watch tv episodes on my computer.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BOTH seem to have billing issues ... direct had better service and picture but you had to pay extra every month for the service or it was a 70$ call.... Cable no issues with storm s but less options ....

I am debating going back to direct since I can get a locked in rate about 30$ less a month with more channels , but dish in the winter truely stinks when it rains or snows

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a rooftop antenna. So far it works just fine. I don't have time to watch all the extra channels I could get with cable or dish so why pay for something I'd rarely use?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

We have cable and never have issues
They have always been really good about coming out and repairing/checking when we did have problems. We've had a couple modems go bad (pretty normal for how long we've been using cable internet), but since we usually rent them from the cable company it just get replaced for free. Our last apartment was kind of weird location-wise, so the line into the building sometimes had issues. At our house, no problems at all. We had to downgrade our cable, but we got an amplified antenna for our HD tv and that kind of makes up for it. We can still watch HD tv without paying the cable co. extra.

We've had billing issues before, but nothing like my Mom's with her dish service (I can't remember which one she has). They had a promotional deal to install on 2 tvs for free and the equipment was supposed to be free, but she's been charged on every bill for them. She's not happy but that's all that's available where she lives.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Dish Network. We had some problems in the past with charges on our bill we did not make but they did take care of it. They also gave us a free month we called to cancel because my husband lost his job last year. And they were helpful with giving us a cheaper package later. So I guess the good and bad cross each other out.

The only time weather really effects the dish is if it is really bad out. Otherwise no complaints or problems.