TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Herb safety
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Herb safety

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I am looking at products to try to treat my cat's ongoing loose stool issues caused by the TF they have. As long as they have the TF they will have loose stools. Diet is one area I am working on but I need something safe when they have issues. Does anyone know where I can get reliable information on cat safe herbs? I am looking at a Product from Pet-Alive called RunnyPoo. It has the herbs Plantain and Lady's Mantle and 3 homeopathic remedies. I know the Plantain is okay but I don't know about the Lady's Mantle. Does anyone use this, know about the product or company or know a good link? Right now I use a pet Kaopectin product from Lambert Kay that is safe and Metronidazole when things get bad, I really want to find something better.
post #2 of 8
Other than talking to a holistic vet, I don't have any good advice for you. All of the herbs I got for Maggie were prescribed by my holistic vet. I don't think there is much information or research out there on these and cats, at least not that I've found.

Just out of curiousity, have you tried any digestive enzymes or probiotics? I know Maggie no longer has TF, but she still had diarrhea until I started her on Dr. Goodpet Digestive Enzymes (with acidophilus). It would be a good idea to keep your kitties on a probiotic anyways to try and keep their guts as balanced as possible, and hopefully the symptoms of TF will eventually reside as their immune systems build.

Let us know if you try this supplement out!
post #3 of 8
talk to a holistic or oriental medicine vet
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
talk to a holistic or oriental medicine vet
Unfortunately a holistic vet is no longer an option for me as the one I went to won't see the girls because I wouldn't do things her way 100% and not use regular medicine when needed. There is only one in the area.

They have been on probiotics for over two years but they did not tolerate the digestive enzymes at all. As my vet says everything that is supposed to be good for them makes them sick.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by twokatz View Post
Unfortunately a holistic vet is no longer an option for me as the one I went to won't see the girls because I wouldn't do things her way 100% and not use regular medicine when needed. There is only one in the area.

They have been on probiotics for over two years but they did not tolerate the digestive enzymes at all. As my vet says everything that is supposed to be good for them makes them sick.
Do you have a helpful conventional vet?? Ie my secondary clinic is conventional but they were the ones who gave me the lysine for herpes that the cats readily take and are more than willing to aid me with herbs by looking up or asking the local vets with expertise... I will tell you that I have to treat my 15lb dog with the doses for under 10 lb s for them not to make her sick ...

look up slippery elm , marshmallow and apple pectin ...
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Do you have a helpful conventional vet?? Ie my secondary clinic is conventional but they were the ones who gave me the lysine for herpes that the cats readily take and are more than willing to aid me with herbs by looking up or asking the local vets with expertise... I will tell you that I have to treat my 15lb dog with the doses for under 10 lb s for them not to make her sick ...

look up slippery elm , marshmallow and apple pectin ...
Actually my regular vet also does Chinese herbs and she has called the Vet I mentioned for help but not even she gets a response most of the time. My vet is the only one in the area that is competent in more than one modality but nothing she has tryed has helped. She is very good to look stuff up but she has limited knowledge on western herbs. I had the girls on Sleppery Elm for two years but had to take them off a couple of months ago.
post #7 of 8
western herbs there are lots of books ( of course I amsick sick at themoment and names elude me)... IMHO western is easier to do than eastern since they are items that u and I commonly use ...
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
western herbs there are lots of books ( of course I amsick sick at themoment and names elude me)... IMHO western is easier to do than eastern since they are items that u and I commonly use ...
This is why I thought maybe the RunnyPoo product might be good, I know about Plantain but the only thing I can find on the Lady's Mantle mentions possible Liver damage in people. I have learned that just because a company makes a product for animals does not mean it is safe. I appreciate your help, hope you get feeling better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Herb safety