come sit on my lap

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi everybody, i tot cats are lap-sitters. u koe- loving to sit on laps to be stroked to sleep...

but no matter how affectionate, attention-seeking, love touch my BSH kitten is, she is just not sitting in our lap.

hmm, does she not know how to sit-in-lap? or do u tink she dow not like to sit-in-lap??

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your post was cute... Lucky has never sat on my lap either - not by choice anyways... Probably it doesn't help that a lot of times we sit them on our laps to clean up, force meds, flea hunt, cut nails...

I think it is the cat's personality... Your is also so young - kittens have a lot of energy, and they rather be playing around than snuggling on someones lap...
She will be ok - just her personality... It doesn't stop the fact that you can take her into your lap!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Your post was cute... Lucky has never sat on my lap either - not by choice anyways... Probably it doesn't help that a lot of times we sit them on our laps to clean up, force meds, flea hunt, cut nails...

I think it is the cat's personality... Your is also so young - kittens have a lot of energy, and they rather be playing around than snuggling on someones lap...
She will be ok - just her personality... It doesn't stop the fact that you can take her into your lap!!
hehe, i muz hv sounded really comical saying things like those. contribute it to inexperience with cats
shd get better with age (kimi aging).

tonite will airlift her into my lap, n feed her fom my lap... ... we'll see if she starts loving lap then, or is it a genetic thingie

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you sit?

Kizzy couldn't care bout my lap, unless I'm sitting crossed legged on the floor, then he INSISTS on curling up in the middle of it.... ( the warmest area
)

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I first got Harley, the woman I got her from swore that she was a lap kitty. I brought home a terrified, shaking little kitty who wanted nothing more than to hide under my bed. However....about a week later I discovered that she really was a lap kitty. She somehow managed to get up the nerve to invite herself into my lap and it was like she just melted instantly. Now she loves to curl up on me no matter where I'm sitting - she even comes when I call her to come sit with me. She'll even stand there and "yell" at me if I don't ask her to get on the couch or the chair.

Give your little kitty some time - you never know, you might find her in your lap unexpectedly one day.

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

How do you sit?

Kizzy couldn't care bout my lap, unless I'm sitting crossed legged on the floor, then he INSISTS on curling up in the middle of it.... ( the warmest area
)
i sit on sofa, two feets planted on the floor...

but kimi dun even know how to curl!! when she lie down, its either all stretched out like a roll of carpet (see foto), or equally long but on her side.

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyLoneWolf

When I first got Harley, the woman I got her from swore that she was a lap kitty. I brought home a terrified, shaking little kitty who wanted nothing more than to hide under my bed. However....about a week later I discovered that she really was a lap kitty. She somehow managed to get up the nerve to invite herself into my lap and it was like she just melted instantly. Now she loves to curl up on me no matter where I'm sitting - she even comes when I call her to come sit with me. She'll even stand there and "yell" at me if I don't ask her to get on the couch or the chair.

Give your little kitty some time - you never know, you might find her in your lap unexpectedly one day.
sweet harley

how do u sit when harley lies on ur lap? tis question proceeds snake_lady's cue.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How incredibly cute !! What a doll she is!

Maybe the food will make for a great bribe. I have kittens that I raised from one week old orphans and they will not sit in my lap. I carried them everywhere and held them, all those cuddlie things. They will not be lap-cats.

Luck of the draw on kittie personality/attitude. (cat-titude)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
something else that helped me was this: I would several times a day, for very short periods of time, take her in my arms, talk to her gently, give her a treat, then put her back EXACTLY where she was before I got her, in same position she was. I.E.: if she was laying down, i would pick her up, bla bla bla, than put her laying down on the floor on the same spot.
In the beginning I couldn't even touch her with my hands.... now she is all over me!!!!

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rummi

sweet harley

how do u sit when harley lies on ur lap? tis question proceeds snake_lady's cue.
Sometimes I'll sit cross-legged and she'll get in the middle of my legs and curl up. Usually, though, it doesn't matter how I'm sitting - she likes to sit with her paws on my chest, facing me, and as long as she can get into that position, she's happy.

Harley also lays on top of me when I'm lying down on the couch. My hip seems to be a popular place to curl up.

I love that picture you posted. Your Kimi's so cute with her little fuzzy feet all sprawled out behind her on the floor.

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

How incredibly cute !! What a doll she is!

Maybe the food will make for a great bribe. I have kittens that I raised from one week old orphans and they will not sit in my lap. I carried them everywhere and held them, all those cuddlie things. They will not be lap-cats.

Luck of the draw on kittie personality/attitude. (cat-titude)
useful clue, thanks

tis dinner (= couple of hours ago), i fed her on my lap. she sat on my thigh. attempt number 1 successfull

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

something else that helped me was this: I would several times a day, for very short periods of time, take her in my arms, talk to her gently, give her a treat, then put her back EXACTLY where she was before I got her, in same position she was. I.E.: if she was laying down, i would pick her up, bla bla bla, than put her laying down on the floor on the same spot.
In the beginning I couldn't even touch her with my hands.... now she is all over me!!!!
tis very useful clue too!

kimi usually 'swims in the air' when i pick her up. u koe, indication of desire to walk on ground instead.

earlier, i tried ur blahblahblah-back-to-same-spot. GREAT. she seems to tink its fun play.

now she's really agreaable with being picked up n transported to other location.

hmm, i hv a feeling she probably thinks she is harry-porter, or i am a broom!

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyLoneWolf

Sometimes I'll sit cross-legged and she'll get in the middle of my legs and curl up. Usually, though, it doesn't matter how I'm sitting - she likes to sit with her paws on my chest, facing me, and as long as she can get into that position, she's happy.

Harley also lays on top of me when I'm lying down on the couch. My hip seems to be a popular place to curl up.

I love that picture you posted. Your Kimi's so cute with her little fuzzy feet all sprawled out behind her on the floor.
oh ya, hips r popular resting spots - appeals to cats, children n men alike

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

oh ya, hips r popular resting spots - appeals to cats, children n men alike
You are so right!

I just have to say that Kimi is beautiful! What a sweet girl she is. I agree that kittens want to play more than snuggle. Keep working with her and she will calm down eventually and you probably won't get her off your lap then.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The British cats I know do not sit on laps, they will sit next to their owners and like to be near them but not on the lap.

I know a breeder who calls that the froggy pose
Fairly common for Brits to do that.

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

You are so right!

I just have to say that Kimi is beautiful! What a sweet girl she is. I agree that kittens want to play more than snuggle. Keep working with her and she will calm down eventually and you probably won't get her off your lap then.
thks for the compliments, but i wun let her koe, in case she starts gettg cattitude.

for now, everytime she sits in/on my lap, i'll reward myself

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

The British cats I know do not sit on laps, they will sit next to their owners and like to be near them but not on the lap. I know a breeder who calls that the froggy pose
Fairly common for Brits to do that.
i'll call tat e carpet-roll pose. or hotdog bun pose.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kimi's so cute!!!

I have one cat who has sat on my lap a grand total of twice in eight years. My other, cat, on the other hand, is glued to my thigh about 50% of the time.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh now I can see the pic :0 He is gorgeous.
I love how he just sprawls, feetz pointed in different directions... adorable.