Serious Internet Explorer Flaw?

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped using IE about a month ago because I updated to their newest version and had nothing but problems.

Firefox runs a lot smoother, quicker and is more secure

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Microsoft is now pushing a fix to computers now so you should have a Windows update. If you don't have it set up to automatically update, make sure you do a manual update.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Microsoft is now pushing a fix to computers now so you should have a Windows update. If you don't have it set up to automatically update, make sure you do a manual update.
I did do the update, as soon as it came out and I heard about it.

Regarding Firefox, I read that they had some kind of problem, too. I guess it really doesn't matter just which browser it is that you use: the "bad" people are out there everywhere..

I did have a freaky thing happen to me the day after I read about the IE flaw. My computer suddenly shut down when I logged online.
I sent an error report, and Microsoft "blamed" the error onto my antivirus software. I checked into it, and nothing seemed to be amiss. Of course I can't be sure, but I think it had something to do with the IE flaw thingy.

Everything seems to be okay now.
I had a friend of mine double-check some things, and she seems to think that everything is okay.
I'm still gonna check with my antivirus software program though, just to be on the safe side...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To all Windows users - go through your services and make sure there aren't any unnecessary ones on, set to automatic, or set to otherwise cause problems. Past viruses, and maybe even some more current ones, have used default settings in these to cause problems. One of the things that is most noticeable is a service that is set to restart or shutdown the computer when the service fails.

If you don't like Firefox, try Opera or Chrome.

KittKatt - look up "HijackThis". If you have a more computer savvy friend, let them look at the report from it. This can be used to look for things running that should not be - such as viruses, worms, and trojans.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

To all Windows users - go through your services and make sure there aren't any unnecessary ones on, set to automatic, or set to otherwise cause problems. Past viruses, and maybe even some more current ones, have used default settings in these to cause problems. One of the things that is most noticeable is a service that is set to restart or shutdown the computer when the service fails.

If you don't like Firefox, try Opera or Chrome.

KittKatt - look up "HijackThis". If you have a more computer savvy friend, let them look at the report from it. This can be used to look for things running that should not be - such as viruses, worms, and trojans.
How would you look up "HijackThis"? On a web search like Yahoo?

On a different note, I was checking into my antivirus program and came across something called a "virus chest". Isn't that supposed to be the thing you click on to find out if you have any viruses?

One of the things that is most noticeable is a service that is set to restart or shutdown the computer when the service fails.
That worries me.
When my computer suddenly shut down the other day, it automatically started back up again on its own. And I have no idea as to how I should check it out, or how to correct anything if something's amiss, either.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you'd use a search engine to look it up. You can actually find the solution to a lot of computer problems simply by looking them up in a search engine. Tech forums being large source of information and fixes.

What antivirus are you using? I remember avast had the virus chest, this was just where it quarantined the ones that it couldn't delete until the computer was restarted. I suggest you also try booting into safe mode and running the antivirus that way if you're having problems - there are less things running in safe mode to interfere with the antivirus removing virus.

And yes, I mentioned how services can restart your computer because your's did that. Sometimes it doesn't take a virus to do that, though, to make a service fail. It's a simple fix if a person looks up "turn off windows services" and uses the correct guide for what they use their computer for.
A general basic user does not need remote pc stuff turned on for example. Doing this can also make your computer run a little faster as there's less useless stuff on.

What I don't get is how people get infected or get hit by big flaws in the first place? Put some safety nets in place, avoid poor programs (IE), and don't do stupid stuff online - a good portion of viruses require the user to do something that should be common sense not to. Such as clicking on things they shouldn't...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, you'd use a search engine to look it up. You can actually find the solution to a lot of computer problems simply by looking them up in a search engine. Tech forums being large source of information and fixes.
Okay - gotcha! (I think!
).

What antivirus are you using? I remember avast had the virus chest, this was just where it quarantined the ones that it couldn't delete until the computer was restarted. I suggest you also try booting into safe mode and running the antivirus that way if you're having problems - there are less things running in safe mode to interfere with the antivirus removing virus.
I'm using avast.

What's "safe mode"? I'm still fairly new to a lot of this.

And yes, I mentioned how services can restart your computer because your's did that. Sometimes it doesn't take a virus to do that, though, to make a service fail. It's a simple fix if a person looks up "turn off windows services" and uses the correct guide for what they use their computer for.
A general basic user does not need remote pc stuff turned on for example. Doing this can also make your computer run a little faster as there's less useless stuff on.
Huh??

I'm assuming that the computer shutting down like it did was a good thing??

What I don't get is how people get infected or get hit by big flaws in the first place? Put some safety nets in place, avoid poor programs (IE), and don't do stupid stuff online - a good portion of viruses require the user to do something that should be common sense not to. Such as clicking on things they shouldn't...
I don't get it, either.
I take all the precautions I possibly can (to the best of my knowledge, that is), and I never go to websites that I don't know & trust, or click on a "blind" link. I also never open any emails with attachments - even if it's coming from someone I know & trust - b/c I know that's probably the best way to get infected. If I'm ordering online, I never do so unless the website displays a secure page thingy.

I guess the creeps are out there everywhere, and if they want to badly enough, they're gonna find a way to screw something up.
It's sad that something so wonderful like the internet & computers have to be sabotaged by peeps who have nothing better to do with their time.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

What's "safe mode"? I'm still fairly new to a lot of this.
That's when you boot up into windows but don't have all the normal services, settings, drivers, and programs running. It's used to fix things.

You do this by holding down the F8 key on your keyboard as you boot up your computer.

I'm assuming that the computer shutting down like it did was a good thing??
Not at all. You wouldn't want your car suddenly stalling while you're driving it. Likewise, your computer restarting itself says something went wrong.

For the most part, your problem is that you're using XP - a popular and very much targeted OS. You're still a novice user so you don't know where or how to look for particular problems. As you fix things, over and over in windows, you should pick up more knowledge.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's when you boot up into windows but don't have all the normal services, settings, drivers, and programs running. It's used to fix things.

You do this by holding down the F8 key on your keyboard as you boot up your computer.
I rarely ever turn the computer off - it's usually in "standby" mode. If I do boot it back up, I've never done it while holding down the F8 key: no one ever informed me that I should do it that way.
So I'm assuming it's not in a safe mode then?? Am I supposed to hold down the F8 key everytime I go on the computer - even if it's on standby??

Not at all. You wouldn't want your car suddenly stalling while you're driving it. Likewise, your computer restarting itself says something went wrong.
That doesn't make me feel any better. I'm probably messing something up every time I use the computer, w/o even knowing I'm doing it.

For the most part, your problem is that you're using XP - a popular and very much targeted OS. You're still a novice user so you don't know where or how to look for particular problems. As you fix things, over and over in windows, you should pick up more knowledge.
I am learning things as I go along, but I'm still a loooong ways away from knowing everything I should. I'm almost afraid to turn the darn thing on anymore, for fear of something getting messed up.

Everything seems to be okay: the computer has been running smoothly, and I haven't had any shut-downs or anything since that fatal error thing occured. But what do I know?

I wish I knew how to check everything out to make sure it's all okay....

Thanks for all your help, StrangeWings!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I rarely ever turn the computer off - it's usually in "standby" mode. If I do boot it back up, I've never done it while holding down the F8 key: no one ever informed me that I should do it that way.
So I'm assuming it's not in a safe mode then?? Am I supposed to hold down the F8 key everytime I go on the computer - even if it's on standby??
You should reboot your computer. Programs and windows itself doesn't clear ram perfectly so from time to time you need to restart. If you install anything, run your virus scanner (and it finds a virus), remove spyware, etc - you need to reboot your computer so settings can be applied properly and so viruses can be fully removed.

Safe mode is only if there is a problem that you need to fix - such as a tough virus. You don't need to use this for anything else. And no, standby is just standby, you're not rebooting your computer so F8 would be useless.

I wouldn't be too afraid. As long as the physical parts are not damaged, your computer's fine. You can always reinstall software.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember checking into a motel once and they were having real problems because their computer wasn't working properly. Seeing their room management app was just running on a regular PC I offered to take a look at it. I found the OS was only recognizing 640KB of RAM. Yet the machine had something like 512MB installed. I asked if they ever rebooted the computer and was told they never did. I rebooted it and it worked fine. The desk clerk thought I was a genius. I know better, but got a room discount out of it anyway.
PC's don't have error-correcting memory and if left on, random errors can pop up in RAM that get written out to disk. Then they end up corrupting files. In this case, apparently one or another of the system .ini files (pre-32 bit Windows) which were probably living in the page file (or system cache, don't remember what they called it back then) because the app they were running was a memory hog.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... but I'm still a loooong ways away from knowing everything I should. ...
Oh, good heavens, nobody does, don't feel bad. Even Microsoft tech support doesn't know everything they should know about Windows. It's just way too complicated these days. Even Macs aren't what they used to be. You can live with computers your whole life without knowing everything you need to know to keep them running yourself. That's what the Geek Squad is for. You pay people you take car of your car nowadays; they're too complicated and inaccessible for the ordinary person; same with computers. I used to do routine maintenance and minor repairs when I had my '65 Mustang; now I don't even change my own oil. I wrote my first "hello world" in Fortran IV on punch cards in 1967 and after using Windows XP for, what, eight years? I'm finally comfortable enough with it to solve most problems on my own (knock on plastic) and here they come out with a new version. I tell ya, it's a conspiracy!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

That's what the Geek Squad is for. You pay people you take car of your car nowadays; they're too complicated and inaccessible for the ordinary person; same with computers.
I've stumped a couple people working at a BestBuy's Geek Squad - they didn't have an answer for something I pointed out and where trying to push my MIL into buying software she didn't need.

I agree with you about vehicles - depending on what you have, you can't do a single thing on it yourself. Mainly the sports cars are the biggest pain.

As for inaccessible, try opening an Xbox 360 sometime! I want to smash the thing to pieces already.
Microsoft had to use a size 8 torx - the one size I don't have in any of the sets around here which means I have to wait till Monday to fix the stupid thing. Then I get to pop the other 360 open, goody.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the Geek Squad is for consumer users, not "power users."

Really, you'd think that by now computers should be as easy to use as a toaster. I think Moore's Law should be put on hold for a few years and instead of concentrating on making the technology more powerful, they should concentrate on making it easier to use and more reliable.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

I tell ya, it's a conspiracy!!

Thanks again for all your help, y'all.
Sometimes I pick things up just by reading what others have posted.
Every little bit helps!

So I'm assuming that keeping it in standby mode is all right, and I should reboot it once in awhile by using the f8 key?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So I'm assuming that keeping it in standby mode is all right, and I should reboot it once in awhile by using the f8 key?
No. I think I confused you. You do need to restart your computer from time to time, normal restart. You tell it to restart, walk off and go do something - go get something to drink, use the bathroom, watch some tv, ect (usually takes a couple minutes for XP to shut everything down and restart everything again anyways
).

Booting into safe mode is only if you have a problem that cannot be fix in normal mode.
You should restart your computer, into normal mode, after running your virus software or spyware remover - if it finds anything.
Avast should give you a little message saying it moved the virus to the quarantine chest and that it will be deleted after you restart your computer. You can't click ok and ignore this, you need to restart so the anti virus program can finish.

All standby mode does is save some power by shutting of the monitor and shuts down a few other things. It does not restart your computer and it does not clear out memory like restarting your computer will. If you do not restart your computer every now and then you'll have errors, stuff will corrupt, and you may find yourself needing to completely reinstall windows or at the very least going back to restore points sooner then you'd like.

That said, I've left a computer on for 3 months straight without problems but I took measures to clear out memory. (And to anyone else reading, did you know you can throw off some of the trial timers on software that way?
)