I need some TCS strength! I have to stand up to my boss!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh....It's been one of those weeks. Finals started last Friday and I've been working 26+ hours a week. I told my boss almost two months ago that I couldn't handle any more hours. Back then I was working about 20-22 hours a week, and going to school full time. I work two different jobs for the same company. I work in a group home of sorts most of the time and work in the community with a young gal who I teach cooking, social, etc skills to. Well, my community gal lost her job so her parents decided that I should TRIPLE my hours with her, so I went from 2 hours to 6 hours with her, even though the only reason I took that community girl was because she only needed someone for 2 hours once a week. Her parents are very rude and couldn't believe that my schedule wouldn't work to add 4 more hours, and got upset. I told my boss I couldn't do it. A month goes by and my boss tells me she's bumping up my hours with the girl and taking 1 hour away from me working at the group home. NOT an even trade as you might have guessed!
I let her walk all over me and now I'm working way more than I want to. The only day I get off is Sunday.

Now I've been working and not complaining, but I go out to the girl's house last Tuesday and almost died. The parent's live on a 1/2 mile lane of the highway that goes straight up then straight down to the house. The lane was PURE ice because they had not done anything with it, nor do they ever plan to take care of it. I slid three times sideways towards the highway trying to get up the lane. I called the parents and they told me to back up on the highway and drive as fast as I could to get up. I didn't bother calling my boss because I knew she would tell me to try (although she tells me she would never let her staff risk their lives)
Anyway, I get up the hill and stop before it starts going back down to the house. But the drive was pure ice and the car just kept going down the hill, spun completely around in a circle and stopped ONE FOOT from where the driveway stopped, then a drop off, then a hill, then a POND! I was freaking out. I wanted to cry and was all shaky. The family just made a joke about it!!!!!

I called my boss told her I was done Tuesday night. I will keep working at the group home, but not with that girl in the community anymore. My boss never calls me back, so I email her Thursday morning and she tells me she didn't call me beck because we should have talked in person
Shouldn't she have called me back to tell me that?!!!!
Then I make and appointment of sorts to meet with her this afternoon. She didn't answer the phone so I called and talked to the next boss up. Apparently she "forgot" that she had a doctor's appointment.

I'm really upset that my boss thinks this issue can be solved. I'm done with it. I told her that several times. It's too stressful, not enjoyable, the parents are rude, and the girl doesn't have any ambition to work on any of her goals. I literally dred every day I have to meet with that girl.

Does my boss think I'm just going to forget about the situation and keep going???? I WILL NOT!

Please give me the strength to stand up to my boss and tell her no!
I have a problem with letting people walk all over me till I get a back bone and put an end to it. My boss tells me there are solutions other than just giving up and quitting. I don't care what solutions there are. I'm done with it!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Sending lots of to you. You can do it (remember the icy driveway to inspire you).

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG, what a horrible situation!

I believe it is time to go over your bosses head. Whoever is over your boss, send an e-mail stating what you have stated in your original thread, about how dangerous the location of that house is. Not only is it a threat to your personal health & welfare, but what about any damages to your vehicle if in fact, you had an accident! Would your employer pay any hospital/doctor expenses if you were injured trying to get to that house? [I would seriously doubt it seeing as how you are a part time employee only]. Do NOT let your boss push you around like that.

Stand up for yourself and please let us know how it goes, 'kay?

Here's some magic 'vibes' especially for YOU
!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by PookieBoy

I believe it is time to go over your bosses head. Whoever is over your boss, send an e-mail stating what you have stated in your original thread, about how dangerous the location of that house is. Not only is it a threat to your personal health & welfare, but what about any damages to your vehicle if in fact, you had an accident! Would your employer pay any hospital/doctor expenses if you were injured trying to get to that house? [I would seriously doubt it seeing as how you are a part time employee only]. Do NOT let your boss push you around like that.

!
Agreed

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds awful. I had a boss like that once... on campus. Students aren't supposed to work more than 20 hours on campus because at some point we're supposed to study and do homework too
After I quit, she hired 3 students to do the job I had been doing. It made me angry. Anyhow, don't let her walk all over you. Your time is worth more than whatever they're paying you...it's time you can't ever get back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the support everyone! I feel like I have every right to say no and I spoke with my mom about it yesterday. I'm the fourth staff that has worked with this girl in the last year. It really says something that three people have already quit on this girl. My mom said "what makes you any different than all the other staff that have worked with her and quit?" You know, she's right! Why should I have fight my boss to quit when they obviously know that staff don't like working with her and quit when they can't handle it anymore.

Originally Posted by PookieBoy

!
Thanks for the support. I actually did get a chance to talk with the boss above all everyone in this county. She's a bit less confrontational and almost seems more understanding, but she probably is since she's been here for several years and the boss I've been dealing with just started a couple months ago. I just started the end of August and I've been there longer than her! Anyway, I talked to the boss higher up about the situation and she was very understanding and she told me she does understand that it's hard and that the "solutions" are going to be hard.

Originally Posted by Going Nova

That sounds awful. I had a boss like that once... on campus. Students aren't supposed to work more than 20 hours on campus because at some point we're supposed to study and do homework too
After I quit, she hired 3 students to do the job I had been doing. It made me angry. Anyhow, don't let her walk all over you. Your time is worth more than whatever they're paying you...it's time you can't ever get back.
You're right. That's time I'm not going to get back. I'm not keeping the job once I graduate, all you need is a high school diploma to work there. What would be the purpose of me getting a BA in Sociology and spending all that money just to stay there and work for $9/hour??? I'll stick to my guns and tell her no, I'm done. And if she keeps pushing it I'll just tell her she'll have to fire me then, because I'm not quitting the group home. I love it there and I only work a little over 20 hours a week.