How to know how much Marshmallow root to give?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As many of you know Jordan has chronic constipation. I stoped giving him lactulose because I'm convinced that, the medication is what caused his blood calcium to spike. So I've been able to control the constipation mostly through diet, however; once in a while he still has some difficulty. I remember reading that Marshmallow root works, but my question is does anyone know how much to give him? I know that slipery elm root works too, but I remember reading that there was some sort of shortage of slipery elm root, so I want to go with the one that is not in short supply. Any ideas?

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

As many of you know Jordan has chronic constipation. I stoped giving him lactulose because I'm convinced that, the medication is what caused his blood calcium to spike. So I've been able to control the constipation mostly through diet, however; once in a while he still has some difficulty. I remember reading that Marshmallow root works, but my question is does anyone know how much to give him? I know that slipery elm root works too, but I remember reading that there was some sort of shortage of slipery elm root, so I want to go with the one that is not in short supply. Any ideas?
Hey Rang_27!
Since you and I last "spoke", I discovered that Slippery Elm is also high in calcium and is contraindicated in cats with hypercalcaemia tendencies. (felinecrf.org - see "Cautions")

So, I just did a search for marshmallow root - it seems that it, too, has a high calcium content!

felinecrf.org suggests Miralax as a safe alternative.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I beleive it was half a cap but double check that with the vet ... Yes slippery elm is getting to be a endangered species ...

IMHO I would not TOUCH Miralax

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Is Jordan an older kitty?

My 16 yr old kitty Tigger occasionally gets constipated; partly due to age but also because she is not a big canned food eater (eats more dry than canned, though she is given canned twice a day). What I do now is give her some SubQ fluids every 2-3 weeks, about 100cc's. This seems to do the trick! I can usually tell when she's starting to get constipated because she insists on snuggling up on the couch with me and she'll pass gas LOL

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried canned pumpkin? Not the spiced kind that's used for pies, but just the plain stuff. It's supposed to work well for constipation and diarrhea.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check with your vet first, of course - the dose may vary, as well as whether or not that particular herb is appropriate in his case. The dose I use for Felixia is 1/2 capsule mixed with 2 cc of water, and it's really seemed to help her a lot. I love that the taste of mashmallow doesn't bother her - she doesn't fight me when I give it to her, but she would spit out the slippery elm.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, pumpkin is also high in Calcium....

The requirement here is for a calcium neutral stool softener.

Originally Posted by sharky

...IMHO I would not TOUCH Miralax
Sharky - what is that opinion based on?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

Unfortunately, pumpkin is also high in Calcium....

The requirement here is for a calcium neutral stool softener.

Sharky - what is that opinion based on?
the base ingredient and my knowledge of drugs...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

Hey Rang_27!
Since you and I last "spoke", I discovered that Slippery Elm is also high in calcium and is contraindicated in cats with hypercalcaemia tendencies. (felinecrf.org - see "Cautions")

So, I just did a search for marshmallow root - it seems that it, too, has a high calcium content!

felinecrf.org suggests Miralax as a safe alternative.
Thankyou for that information. Jordan is doing so much better I don't want to add anything that will increase his calcium. I had tried canned pumpkin in the past and he would not eat it. I did try sub-q in the past, but he is not a good paitient, he will not sit still for that. He has not been constipated enough to require another vet visit, so I guess continueing with the wet food only diet and monitering him closely is the best way to go for him.

For those that don't know Jordan is 5 & has struggled with constipation and idopathic hypercalcimia for over a year and a half now. He had been on 5 mg of prednisone every day until a couple weeks ago. I was able to drop him down to 5 mg everyother day. I will take him in this weekend to have his blood calcium rechecked. If it is still low enough, I will wait until after the holidays & drop it down again (He & I are traveling for the holidays so I don't want to be messing with his medication while we are out of town.) He is doing so well, I am just working to find the best possible balance for him. I want him off the pred, but the vet isn't sure that will ever happen.

sugarwookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may be a late reply to your thread, but I've discovered a new supplement that has my cat going daily, after a few trips for enemas and obvious constipation. I sprinkle a pinch in her food at each meal and she went from every three days of spitting out a couple of knuckles to a log daily. It's called Lax-eze by Vet Select.