Dreading going outside today!!

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The last few days here have been very cold, in the -25C range, but this morning it is well below -40C with the windchill!! I forgot to plug in my car last night and it is definately is not going to start if it was not plugged in, so I ran out to plug it in at 6 this morning and it was so cold the my eyelashes froze my eyes shut and my fingers were frozen right to the bone in the five minutes I was out there even through my little gloves. I hate the cold so much!! I refuse to get cold anymore and freeze like I used to when I was younger and stupid, so now I have been wearing longjohns, so many layers of wool, -40C mukluks, thick mittens, warm hats and I wrap my whole head in a scarf for the last month already. I do not want to have to come home everyday after work and feeding the horses and have to unthaw myself for like three hours! I know its not even Christmas yet but when is Spring gonna come, cause I am sick of the cold!!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AMEN Sister!
I froze my butt off walking to work this morning. My parking garage is 2.5 blocks from my office and it was the longest 2.5 blocks EVER! The wind chill was near 0F (-18C) and it was so windy I couldn't walk straight. I couldn't imagine a -40C windchill. I wouldn't leave the house unless I had to and you better beliebe I'd look like an eskimo.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday our temperature dropped from 60F (16C) to -25F (-32C) with the wind chill. We woke up to 2F (-17C) without the wind chill.

And its not officially winter yet.

I think it's time to stay warm by snuggling with our cats.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have the brutal cold yet.....however we have the dreaded ice, it is really slippery here, I just got back from running a couple of errands and I am sure glad to be home. I certainly don't plan on going outside again anytime soon.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would dread going outside too, that is soo cold

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is too cold

Sending you some of our CA sunshine

It's 30F here today at 1pm but that is okay cuz we desperately need snow, which we're getting. Our drought is terrible - on our drive to CO, I saw many wild horse herds but few young ones - they are the first to perish. Few rabbits as well, which means starving coyotes & bobcats

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Can I ask a silly question?
Why do you have to plug in your car? Is it electric?
You plug in a heater that goes under the hood. If you don't do it when it's really cold, the engine freezes up and you can't start it.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
And here I was complaining because it was only 37 degrees when I got home from work this morning.

I'm still going to light a fire in my woodburning stove this afternoon so my heat won't be running all the time. It's the only evening this week I'll be home and able to keep an eye on the kittens. They may end up shut in my bedroom if they don't stay away from the stove.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup its official, I think Hell may have frozen over!! It was below -41C and -50C with the windchill this afternoon. I was worried about my goats and horses freezing outside so I went out to check on them, and everyone is tucked into their sheds huddled together but they all look fine. I fed early and I fed really heavy today. I was bad and brought my pig Pickles into the house from the barn because she looked cold and was complaining to me when I went to check on her! That makes everyone happy, when they come home and their is a pig sleeping on the livingroom floor!! If this is how cold it is now in December, how cold is it gonna be when winter really hits it January and February!!

Its supposed to be +3C next week though so I guess the weather is still planning on jerking us around! Hot, Cold, Hot, Cold!!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I just had to show my DH that one!
I remember when I first came to Canada and saw cars with plugs sticking out the front. I was like "what? Seriously, you have to plug a car in to keep it warm"? What a foreign concept.

Originally Posted by Ewa

Yup its official, I think Hell may have frozen over!! It was below -41C and -50C with the windchill this afternoon.

I was bad and brought my pig Pickles into the house from the barn because she looked cold and was complaining to me when I went to check on her! That makes everyone happy, when they come home and their is a pig sleeping on the livingroom floor
OMG, I don't know how anyone lives up there in Alberta! Holy smokes, I'd be cuddling the pig just to stay warm!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ewa

Its supposed to be +3C next week though so I guess the weather is still planning on jerking us around! Hot, Cold, Hot, Cold!!!
I'm not sure I'd call +3 "hot"!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a balmy 0(F) with the windchill right now, but we're getting hit with sleet/snow. DH just called to tell me to stay home today. He's been on the road for an hour and has driven 10 miles. There are cars in the ditch everywhere. We both have about a 30 mile drive to work.

Oh darn, I guess I get to stay in my jammies today.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

You plug in a heater that goes under the hood. If you don't do it when it's really cold, the engine freezes up and you can't start it.
Ha, I just posted this on another thread about the cold. I had to do that with the old car I had in high school. Good times

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not a silly question at all...I was wondering the same thing. I never knew some places you had to have a heater for your engine...but then again I don't live in a place with those insane temps (*knocks on wood*). Although, it was 60 here yesterday, and today it's supposed to get down in the low 20's with freezing rain and sleet. Oh fun. Looks like we're going to be getting the same weather the midwest got yesterday. Looks like DH is building a fire tonight.