The temperature dropped 85 degrees here today

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I knew it was warm this morning when I woke up and I know the temperature kept dropping all day long. I didn't get out but for a quick trip on our deck to BBQ. I just caught the weather and was amazed at how much it actually dropped.

This morning's 5AM temperature: 60 degrees. Currently it's 7 degrees, but with a wind chill of up to 25 below zero with the strong wind gusts.

We've had extreme weather changes in the midwest, but I'm not sure that I've ever seen such an extreme temperature change in a single day.

And its not even officially winter yet!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WHAT??!! That is absolutely crazy!!!! Not sure where you are, but glad I'm not there
...... I thought the weather here in NYC has been crazy the past couple weeks, but that definitely takes the cake!
That's "The Day After Tomorrow" weather!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Not sure where you are, but glad I'm not there
Welcome to Kansas. When I moved here, the locals taught me the saying: "if you don't like the weather, just wait a half an hour and it will change".

It's really nuts. I'm so glad I live in a snug house.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Welcome to Kansas. When I moved here, the locals taught me the saying: "if you don't like the weather, just wait a half an hour and it will change".

I Knew it was Kansas!!!!!!! That is the only place I got a drop like that.... It was Wichita - I went into a Meeting 8:30 am, it was 70F; I got out at 11:30am, it was 25!!!!!! And because it was not expected by the weather channel, I hadn't packed ANYTHING for cold weather.... BRRRRRR

I live in Dallas - Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma are notorious for this kind of changes - they say the same 1/2hr thing in Texas too...

Thank goodness I am going back to California!!!!!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Eric is from Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas to be exact. I have definitely heard many stories of extreme weather conditions there, tornadoes, snow storms...... but 60 degree temperature drop? This is the first! I'm sure it's the last thing he wants to hear since he's leaving for Kansas on Thursday.......

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Omaha, Nebraska. Our temps were the same way. We started at around 57 degrees early this morning, and it is now 2, yes that is TWO, degrees out with a windchill is -32 degrees!! YIKES!!

Tomorrow at 8am it is supposed to be around -3 degrees real temp, who knows what the wind chill will be like.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I Knew it was Kansas!!!!!!! That is the only place I got a drop like that.... It was Wichita - I went into a Meeting 8:30 am, it was 70F; I got out at 11:30am, it was 25!!!!!! And because it was not expected by the weather channel, I hadn't packed ANYTHING for cold weather.... BRRRRRR

I live in Dallas - Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma are notorious for this kind of changes - they say the same 1/2hr thing in Texas too...

Thank goodness I am going back to California!!!!!
We went through something similar this last March. We went down to Kansas City for a couple days for hubby's work. Technically we stayed in Blue Springs, but close enough. Anyway, on Sunday we drove to down town KC to take some pictures and it was 72 degrees and we were wearing tshirts. It gradually got colder and started to sprinkle so we decided to just head back home. It started snowing on our way up, and we ended up in a blizzard. It started snowing in St Joe, and we were in a blizzard 10 miles north of that. Yes, a REAL blizzard. We probably should have pulled off the road, but we were in the middle of nowhere and needed to get home. I'm surprised we didn't die. We did see about 40 cars shoot off the road and a guy was tailgating us the whole time and about knocked us off the road a few times.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

That's because the same fronts cross over all of us.

It's a little warmer here... 14F, wind chill is -1F. I want our 70 degree weather back. Though to make things odder yet, it did snow here a few days ago.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is -13 with wind chills of -30. God it's cold!!!! I have to go to work today and am dreading it.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you guys seen that the "global warming" people are starting to re-think it all? No?

Here in Dallas, in the winter, if we have a south wind, we have used Houston weather (yesterday, for example), and if we have a north wind, we have used North Dakota weather. So, it was 75+ yesterday and I had the hot rod out. Today it's 31 and still going down.

"In the summer, there's nothing between Dallas and Hell but a screen door, and it's open. In the winter, there's nothing between Dallas and the North Pole but a barbed wire fence, and it's down!"

(Old Texas saying)

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I grew up in Missouri and Oklahoma so I know exactly what you mean. One day it would be 70, the next we would have a foot of snow!

clarets14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow that's a big drop in such a short time. i thought it was bad enough here lastweek in one day we had snow. rain and sunshine and the temperatire was -4 that was bad enough

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alberta is the same way! In one day it will start out sunny and above above zero and by noon it will be three more feet of snow and -40!! You can experience more than one season all in a single day!!! LOL! It really gives you no time for your body to adjust to the weather. Your hot, your cold, your wet, then your hot again!! Auugghh!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Eric is from Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas to be exact. I'm sure it's the last thing he wants to hear since he's leaving for Kansas on Thursday.......
I live about 20 minutes east of Lawrence. The weather predicted for Thursday is upper 20's/lower 30's, but with sleet, freezing rain and snow all day.

Originally Posted by kara_leigh

We went through something similar this last March. We went down to Kansas City for a couple days for hubby's work. Technically we stayed in Blue Springs, but close enough. Anyway, on Sunday we drove to down town KC to take some pictures and it was 72 degrees and we were wearing tshirts. It gradually got colder and started to sprinkle so we decided to just head back home. It started snowing on our way up, and we ended up in a blizzard. It started snowing in St Joe, and we were in a blizzard 10 miles north of that. Yes, a REAL blizzard. We probably should have pulled off the road, but we were in the middle of nowhere and needed to get home. I'm surprised we didn't die. We did see about 40 cars shoot off the road and a guy was tailgating us the whole time and about knocked us off the road a few times.
I remember that storm. Technically I'm in Olathe, but close enough to call it Kansas City.

Originally Posted by mrblanche

"In the summer, there's nothing between Dallas and Hell but a screen door, and it's open.
I lived in Houston for a few years. Add the humidity factor of 95% to Dallas's heat and you get the picture on how miserably hot it can get down there.

It got down to about 2 degrees overnight, and it's not supposed to get above about 12 today. I'm sending my boss an e-mail that I'm working from home today. I'm a whimp.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I lived in Houston for a few years. Add the humidity factor of 95% to Dallas's heat and you get the picture on how miserably hot it can get down there.
Ah, but when it's 110 and 20% humidity in Wichita Falls, it's 100 and 40% here in Dallas, but only 90 and 80% in Houston. And down in Galveston, it's 85 and 100%.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is 3 degrees still right now.
-15 winchill

Do I REALLY have to pick my son up from school??? Someone want to do it for me?? Come on, you know you want to!!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Have you guys seen that the "global warming" people are starting to re-think it all? No?
Global warming doesn't exist, but it will take them some time to be convinced of that. I'm sure in a few years they will get past it and start freaking out about something else. Just like the whole "hole in the ozone" thing. They freaked out about that for a LONG time, but eventually realized that our ozone naturally has a hole in it that gets bigger and then shrinks down, does it over again. It grows to let all the bad stuff in our atmosphere out, and when our atmosphere is down to a decent level again it shrinks back down. We haven't heard about it since they figured that out.

Our earth goes through long cycles of warming and cooling. It has happened since long before we were here. It has nothing to do with what humans are doing. We may be in a "warming" pattern right now, but eventually we will start to cool down again...and then start warming again...but these cycles are years and years and years long.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

Global warming doesn't exist, but it will take them some time to be convinced of that.
But what do you make of scientific data? Here's one recent article that is simple enough - http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...climate-change
Do you think they're lying about CO2 levels? or problems with sinks?

It exists, we've definitely made our presence known, and if we don't slow down there will be problems. Though, as it says in the article, it's not us in the developed countries that are causing the biggest problems. And of course there's natural cycles, but we're not helping matters.

It's cold here today, but at least it's not windy - a small relief.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with y'all - the weather has been insane!
Last Wednesday we had snow, then it warmed up again. Yesterday it was in the 70's: right now it's 30-something, and we're supposed to get freezing rain.
But it's supposed to be in the 70's again by Thursday!

But I'm not gonna complain too much. I really feel sorry for those poor peeps in New England who got all that ice, and are still w/o power.
I'd rather deal with no power after a hurricane like we did after Ike blew through. At least it wasn't freezing cold like it is up north...

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

But what do you make of scientific data? Here's one recent article that is simple enough - http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...climate-change
Do you think they're lying about CO2 levels? or problems with sinks?

It exists, we've definitely made our presence known, and if we don't slow down there will be problems. Though, as it says in the article, it's not us in the developed countries that are causing the biggest problems. And of course there's natural cycles, but we're not helping matters.

It's cold here today, but at least it's not windy - a small relief.
I don't want to get into a big argument, as this isn't what the thread was about, but they had "scientific data" for the hole in the ozone layer also.