What is a Savanna

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband's boss has a Savanna and I have never heard of it. Does anyone know about them?

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

Savannah's resulted from crossbreeding Servals (wild cats) and domestic cats...

Big cats, long legs, they hiss like snakes... I've only seen them on television.

Here's the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_(cat)
I want one real bad.....the F1's cost between 7-22 thousand each. An F5 Savannah can be had for about $1,000 but they are not as big as an F1 which can reach 30 pounds. Here is another site http://www.a1savannahs.com/studs.htm

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You may want to check the listings for that new program from Animal Planet, "Cats 101." The first episode featured the Savanna. Apparently they are illegal in some states; I had never heard that. I did know that they are very expensive!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

You may want to check the listings for that new program from Animal Planet, "Cats 101." The first episode featured the Savanna. Apparently they are illegal in some states; I had never heard that. I did know that they are very expensive!
I was just going to post that, Cats 101 was really neat, I enjoyed learning more about the breed

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a similar look, cheaper price and NO wild blood you could have an Ocicat

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yours are certainly gorgeous! I haven't seen too many up close, but they seem like lovely cats to me. The Savanna is too big - I don't want to be bullied any more than I already am by my bossy Siamese!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen the cat but my husband has when he went to his boss's house.
He said it decided it liked him and jumped right up on his chest
It scared the heck out of him but he caught the cat and it started purring and checking him out
His boss told him the cat likes him, she said he is extremely loving and friendly and enjoys kids and her Bengal. She said he weighs about 25 lbs. I would love to see it, I will check out the site you have posted. I don't want one, it's as big as my Cocker

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a very cool F1 Savannah in this video clip. Gives you a good idea how they look and what they are capable of. This one isn't all that big.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

This is a very cool F1 Savannah in this video clip. Gives you a good idea how they look and what they are capable of. This one isn't all that big.

Awesome, thanks,

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have enough cat on my hands with 2 Oris and a Cornie cross - I don't honestly believe that domestic cats need to be any bigger or wilder than they already are! I mean just look at any domestic cat stalking a fly, you have a thing of the wild in your home already. If you want a wild looking cat, Bengals are a good option.

I am not in favour of creating more hybrids - I am ok with the Bengal as they were produced by breeding cats of different species but similar size. But do we really need to go further than that? Not in my opinion.