Update on Kizmet ( diarrhea question)

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Kizzy seems to be doing better. No more wheezing so the antibiotics must be doing there trick

Only prob, is today I was in the room when Kizzy went poo. BOY did it ever stink....whewwwwwww weeee. Peeee Ewwwwwww.

I noticed him really licking himself afterwards and investigated. His fur around his bum was covered in poo. I tried wiping it off with a towel but couldn't quite get it... so I gave him a bath...yah, that was real fun. NOT.

Got him all cleaned up, the was meowing quite forcefully the whole time. I was upstairs in the bathroom with the door shut, my dog was downstairs and heard him. Dog started going nuts, especially since she's not allowed upstairs. It was kinda funny LOL.

Anyways, I scooped the litter box after he went and it was fairly solid... a little wetter and softer than normal, but not what I'd call full diarrhea. (I'm assuming cat diarrhea is runny ?)

I'm assuming the softer stool is from one of two things: I'm changing his food: right now it is mixed 1/2 and 1/2 ( 5 days now he's been on this food mix, and only today was a poo prob)

or

from the antibiotics. ( they warned me it could cause vomiting and diarrhea...No vomiting....only tonights instance of poo). ( he's been on it: 1 dose on Thurs. 2 Friday, 1 Sat, 1 Sun.... we were away from sat. afternoon to Sunday)

So I guess my questions are:

1. is there anything I should do? Aside from watching to make sure it doesn't get worse?

2. If it's caused by the antibiotics, I really don't want to stop them as it is making him feel better....and if they are just going to cause a softer/messier stool, I'm ok with that BUT.... should I go get his hair trimmed in that area to prevent him from tracking poo all over? (if it continues to happen that is)

Thanks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He likely is reacting to the antibiotics .. call and ask if you can add some plain pumpkin to his food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

He likely is reacting to the antibiotics .. call and ask if you can add some plain pumpkin to his food
pumpkin? Never heard that one before. What does it do?

thanks

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is likely getting a double whammy, new food , antibiotics and being sick. I would wait until his system is calmed down to change food if possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twokatz

He is likely getting a double whammy, new food , antibiotics and being sick. I would wait until his system is calmed down to change food if possible.
I did ask my vet about the food change. She highly recommended it because he was being fed an adult food and needs kitten nutrient enriched food. It's a tough one, because he needs the food nutrients especially when he's fighting off the RI. I know that it can have an affect on his digestion, that's why I've mixed 50/50...(actually more like 60 old food/40 new food).

I guess if it is the food, it should be stabalizing in his system soon

Thanks tho.