Safty vs Break Away Collars

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they equally safe? I currently have Break Away collars on all three of my kitties, but I want to get new ones for Christmas for all three of them. I've fallen in love with some really cute safty collers... but are they as safe as break aways???

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i've always thought that breakaway collars=safety collars... maybe post a link or a pic of the ones you're thinking of getting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By breakaway collar I mean the ones with the snap that breaks open with force

By safty collar I mean the ones that hook like regular "bad" collars but have that little elastic bit

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl

By breakaway collar I mean the ones with the snap that breaks open with force

By safty collar I mean the ones that hook like regular "bad" collars but have that little elastic bit
oic
well, i've used stretchy collars in the past [Beastie Bands] with no issues... but mine are all indoor only kitties. currently, they have breakaway collars from ragtime collars [altho Pixel doesn't wear hers, because it causes problems for her].

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about one like this, with just the bit of elastic, instead of the whole thing being elastic.... do you think its safe?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the ones like this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3195382
that say "Safe Cat" on the breakaway part. I've had bad experiences with the elastic type collars like the one you posted (kitties getting them stuck in their mouths). I usually buy my cats' collars at Shopko because the same collar is literally 1/2 the price. Lola's I had to get at Petsmart. She has a really small neck so her size I could only find at the pet store.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer a breakaway collar. Even though that would stretch if your kitty was caught on a bush or something on the ground, it may not let her loose if she was caught hanging on something in the air.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For my money the best collar for cats is the Tenth Life Reflective Collar (scroll down a little to see it). The fabric is lightweight and durable, but stretchy; it has a reflector strip for visibility; and it has an excellent breakaway catch. I realy don't trust the ones with only that little thin elastic insert.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My parents' cats wear the stretch-away kind (like this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3195379 )and have no problems with them, though the elastic bit tends to break a lot more frequently than the break-away buckle kind I use. In the past they have both been able to remove their collars by snagging them on something and pulling their head free - though once it was by breaking the elastic bit, rather than just stretching it.

My boys intentionally remove that kind of collar and chew on the end of the fabric that goes through the metal buckle, so they wear the breakaway type. I just ordered some ragtime collars for my boys and am awaiting arrival (those have the breakaway buckle also).