Haven't felt right since I had teeth pulled

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not that I feel sick or anything i just feel off, not myself. I am not taking any of the pain killers the doctor gave me because I really don't need them. I take my antibiotic and an ibuprofen in the morning and that is it. I just sit around without having any desire to get up, when I drive somewhere I just kinda slump there, mentally I just feel off. I know I am not upset that I had to have this done. It was something I have wanted to do for years so why do I feel so off now. Why do I feel not like myself? Anyone that had a bunch of teeth pulled at once had a similar feeling?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To some extent, the pain is there no matter how much you think it isn't affecting you. Just as a cat goes "off" a little when it's ill, you're displaying the symptoms of illness, or at least a lack of wellness.

It often takes a while for that sort of feeling to go away.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had my teeth pulled about five years ago and it took about 10 days before I felt right again. I did take Vicodin the first few days and I also was on antibiotics. I know it isn't major surgery but it is still physical trauma involving both pain and pretty significant blood loss. It takes a while for the body to recover.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you had any type of infection at all when they pulled your teeth it would have been released into your bloodstream. Even now that your taking antibiotics you could still be feeling the affects of that. Here's hoping you feel better in a few days.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The antibiotics themselves could be doing that. Not that they're making you sick, just making you feel not yourself. I'm definitely not saying don't take them! But, they could be part of the problem. There are some antibiotics I just can't take at all because they DO make me physically sick.

It's also a big adjustment. I had 5 teeth pulled at once, and learning how to chew, eat again is hard. Also, as minor as teeth extraction is, it's still a shock to the system. Give yourself time to adjust.

Mega feel better soon headed your way.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call your dentist tomorrow morning - if they don't call you (I think most good ones will do a follow up call?). If the dentist feels like this is a bit abnormal or if the feeling persists for another day or two, get yourself to the doctor. The main worry would be that the antibiotics may not be enough to combat the infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strange_Wings I would have never thought to call the doctor about the feeling. If I still feel this way in the morning I probably will call her just to be on the safe side. The other day I had a bad headache, I ended up back in bed as soon as I got the kids to school, and just kept that headache all day. That is something that is just not me. We just figured it was my sinuses acting up because it was the front teeth that were pulled.

I made myself get up and clean the house today. It was something I just really did not want to do, partly because I just feel so off. Thank Gosh he bought me a crock pot a few weeks back, that thing has been a life saver, I don't have to stand around and cook. I just hate feeling so abnormal from mhy normal self.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may not be what's happening with you, but... I had just one tooth pulled when I broke it a few months ago, and it's really depressed me. The dentist thought he could probably save it, but I couldn't afford the price, so I just had him pull it... and to me, that felt like the first step on the road to death! All of a sudden, I could envision myself getting old and broken-down, with missing teeth and thinning hair, and it really upset me.

It's silly to think that way, I know... but I think it may be driven by the fact that, deep in our genetic memory, we still have our ancient animal instincts. To an animal in the wild, losing teeth means it can't hunt and it can't defend itself -- it's a serious threat to survival. So maybe our subconscious minds are reacting to that and dragging us down emotionally.

Just a theory. I've got a million of 'em!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good theroy but in my case I don't think thats it. I have wanted and needed this for years. I never really had it done because I could not afford to get all of them done at one time and then afford the dentures. Plus I came in knowing that this was happening. Other than the antobotics not being strong enough (maybe) the only thing I can think of is its an adjustment issue.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have one other possible theory - but I doubt it. You could have picked up a virus and the added stress on your body lowered you immune system. The last virus I had caused a really bad headache and fatigue for 3 days straight.

Chances are it's just your body fighting through the trauma, though. Definitely call your doctor and set up a follow up appointment (if you haven't made one already). At the very least you need to have the healing checked out soon.

that you get to feeling better.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Mother responds like that for a few weeks after anesthesia, after a few weeks, she's fine.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's probably just a normal reaction to the teeth being pulled, plus the infection and antibiotics. It's only been a few days, and you presumably need more time to recover.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go back Friday to check healing and to get 7 more pulled. Regardless to if I am feeling better or not I will bring this up with the doctor. I mean I have had teeth pulled before and I have never felt this way before so this is totally new to me.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you been eating well and drinking water after this?? If your diet has undergone big changes with your extractions this may also be contributing to your sense of feeling "off".

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eating has been a challenge I admit that. Mainly because once I sit down and start eating it becomes to much work to by-pass the front and only chew on the right (I have no bottom molars on the left. But I still try to eat a little something several times a day.

Water intake is fine, thats all I drink.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had all four of my wisfom teeth taken out recently and I felt fine afterwards. Maybe you should call yourdentist to see if what you're experiencing is normal?

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Eating has been a challenge I admit that. Mainly because once I sit down and start eating it becomes to much work to by-pass the front and only chew on the right (I have no bottom molars on the left. But I still try to eat a little something several times a day.

Water intake is fine, thats all I drink.
One of the ladies at work had all her teeth pulled a few months ago and the doctor prescribed Ensure drinks for her because of the difficulty eating. I don`t know if you have a similar drink in the US? It`s like a build up drink with all the nutrients and calories you need?

I hope you feel better soon

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^We have Ensure here. I don't know about the other flavors, but the chocolate tastes a bit like the milk leftover from coco cereals.

Feeling any better today? or did you call to see if this was normal or not?

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^We have Ensure here. I don't know about the other flavors, but the chocolate tastes a bit like the milk leftover from coco cereals.
Ewww!
Yeah, I had it for a while and the only flavours I liked were strawberry and banana. The 'natural' flavour was
!

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine is a Spiritual counsellor and she said that she is very surprised how emotionally traumatized so many people are by having teeth pulled and various other mouth pain. I know personally I had a very bad experience with having my wisdom teeth and two other molars pulled all at the same time. I ended up with a huge anxiety complex about the dentist. Now every time I have to go to the dentist I shake and hyperventilate! Last time I was so freaked out I actually threw up in the office!! Even though you were prepared for having your teeth pulled it may be more upsetting to you on a emotional level than you think?!