Emergency--can't contact my vet--need adivce!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Maybe I'm over-reacting, but I don't know:

Willi seems to have been constipated for about 2 daty. Tried cat lax last night. Don't know if he went--don't think he did, except for peeing (?) 2x on the sofa overnight (he's never done this before, EVER). He looks very sick- Was cryin in pain past night + straining in the litter )didn't go). Now, he's just excreted 2 pools of blood from the rectum/or penis (not sure--thinks it's the rectum). Paged vet; still have not hear from her. Any advice as to what his problem is? Seems very serious to me. Thanks.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to find an emergecy vet ASAP, there is no waiting. It sounds he has some kind of blockage going on. Dont wait you have to get him into an emergency vet NOW!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

You need to find an emergecy vet ASAP, there is no waiting. It sounds he has some kind of blockage going on. Dont wait you have to get him into an emergency vet NOW!
I would start calling any other vets in the area and find out where the closest emergency vet is.

Good Luck!

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can call your vet's regular office and check if there is a recording listing emergency hospitals in your area. Both of my vets have answering messages like that and both also post signs on their doors with the same information during closed hours.

Where do you live? I would definitely try to find an emergency vet.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet's answering service gives out the number for the local emergency vet, and most of the vets I've had in the past have as well. If yours doesn't, I'd start calling all the vets in the phone book until you find one you can get a hold of. Bleeding like that is serious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I finally got ahold of my vet, who sent us to an emergency clinic. Willi has an urinary infection, and needs special food, re-hydration (he had an entire IV), etc. He already seems better! He did finally pee and drink. On top of all of this, my in-laws had just arrived for our Xmas--we were making breakfast, and I still had lots of cooking (for 12 Noon lunch--which is our "dinner"). They were so helpful while DH took Willi to the vet--me scrambled up gingerbread mix and brownie mix (I was to bake 2 pies this morning) for dessert. It all turned out just fine--and now I can eat, now that I know Willi is ok. We thought he had a blockage. Thanks for all of your help and good wishes!!!!

simon07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Look for an emergency vet anywhere in your surrounding county. There has to be one someone. It may be far away. Even if you have to drive 50 miles you need to get him there immediately. Best of luck.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phew! I just read this thread and was so worried for you and Willie! Poor little guy, hope he gets better soon!

simon07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would suggest you make adaptations to Willi's diet. Our cat had the same problem three months ago. Three days ago I had to take her to the vet because she was exhibiting the same problems. You don't want this to recur. It is very costly, so I would suggest if you feed him dry food to switch to wet food entirely and make sure that he drinks enough water. It might also be wise to get a cat water fountain. I am also making a switch to a different type of litter. It is actually for senior cats with problems such as this and is expensive. It is called Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Senior Litter. I have not tried it yet ,but an going to be getting it asap. PetSmart should carry it and a number of on-line retailers. I posted something two days ago regarding my cat that people have responded to that you might be interested in. It is in the same category.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Coco has had on and off probkems for 2 years.
What med did he get?
Did they do a culture?
My sisters cat had surgey for bladder crystals about a month ago because they were oxide.
What did the vet say they are?
Is he on C/D?
Did he have a ultrasound?
Sorry for all the questions but I learned alot dealing with Coco.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by simon07

I would suggest you make adaptations to Willi's diet. Our cat had the same problem three months ago. Three days ago I had to take her to the vet because she was exhibiting the same problems. You don't want this to recur. It is very costly, so I would suggest if you feed him dry food to switch to wet food entirely and make sure that he drinks enough water. It might also be wise to get a cat water fountain. I am also making a switch to a different type of litter. It is actually for senior cats with problems such as this and is expensive. It is called Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Senior Litter. I have not tried it yet ,but an going to be getting it asap. PetSmart should carry it and a number of on-line retailers. I posted something two days ago regarding my cat that people have responded to that you might be interested in. It is in the same category.
Hi Simon07,

This is exactly what the vet said to do. She gave up Royal Canin wet food, and we'll get the fountain ASAP. She didn't mention the litter, but I will look into it. Thanks!

Sorry I had to cut the post off--my in-laws were leaving, so I had to go:

Willi had no crystals in his urine, thankfully. He nibbled a tiny bit of the special canned food (then Smudge pushed in, and scared him off--have to do something about feeding time). I haven't seen Willi at the litter box for a few hours, but he has been resting on our bed (I cuddled with hime for about 45 mins., and he seemed his old self, and looks back to normal. I gave him a good cuddle, he needed it!) We'll work on getting him to eat and drink later tonight, and give him the rest of his meds (something in his ear stuff). I also haven't seen any blood on anything for a few hours, and Willi has been cleaning himself down below. He really seems just about back to normal, just tuckered out.

Again, thank you all for you advice and good wishes (and Jcat, the "get well" pic was so cute!)!!!