eczema itchies/burnies

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys
I'm up at 6:00am with a bad case of the eczema burnies and itchies. I get this occasionally all over my face, and it is usually stress related, but this is the worst case of it that I've had in a long time.
I've been putting cream on it that adds moisture to the skin (takes it from the air apparently) and then putting a layer of vasoline over the worst spots...it's helping but not fast enough.
Any ideas on how to make me more comfortable as i try to de-stress and wait this out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, but evening primrose oil can mess with your hormones, and I already have a hormone condition so I have been told not to take evening primrose actually.

Was thinking about getting some vitamin E and maybe some fish oil to take, those usually heal from the inside out too

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get it on my hands from the cold weather. About the only thing that works is a 2.5% prescription hydrocortisone cream.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some, but have been warned from the doc that it thins the skin so to be careful as to how much I use it.
I've brought my skin back to normal from this stage before, so I don't want to jump the gun.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

Thanks, but evening primrose oil can mess with your hormones, and I already have a hormone condition so I have been told not to take evening primrose actually.

Was thinking about getting some vitamin E and maybe some fish oil to take, those usually heal from the inside out too
Fish oil has worked wonders for mine. If you take high doses like I do you may also need to take a vitamin E supplement. Ask your doc about it.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never tried calamine on my hands, but i know it's for bites and rash, it might do well on your face. I had a cream with manuka honey in it, it's a medicinal one that calms down the redness.

There's so many options.

The thing that's actually reduced the eczema is definately alot less stress.

Of course that's going to change when i start uni next year

jscole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have eczema and have never suffered from it... so I'm not sure if my suggestion is going to help at all... but maybe try a cold compress, like just run a facecloth under some cold water and put it on your face and as your body heat warms up the facecloth, just run it under cold water again, sorta like rinse and repeat lol
... I know that it helps relieve itchys from bug bites and hives (I get hives really bad) so it might help to at least relieve the itchyness

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this is stress induced. I have special cream that the pharmacist suggested, which takes water out of the air and puts it in the skin. It really helps.
I actually slept with a cold compress on my one eye last night, so good suggestion!!!

My sister suggested some allergy meds and some pain killers (she gets a lot of eczema and recently came down with scorisis of the head). Those have worked quite a bit.
it's a bit like witchcraft
making all these combinations and concoctions

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What is the special cream you use? Is it a prescription thing?

I'm not sure if you'd call it eczema or not, but I get bad patches on my wrists/hands sometimes from having them in soapy water all day. The absolute best thing I've found for these patches is Res-Q Ointment and Hand Salve by Burt's Bees. But I still need to find a better lotion that can be used anytime.. both those are greasy and so I tend to just use them before bed.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sylorna, I have eczema/psoriasis (different doctors, different diagnoses) and I love my prescription strength corticosteroid creams. I think it makes sense to use them whenever and wherever I have discolored and scaly patches. Corticosteriods do have bad side effects, but that's mostly important when you take them systemically (orally or injection). The side effects aren't nearly as bad when you take them topically, because they don't get to high concentrations in your blood and just do the work where you put them. Because chronic inflammation can cause health problems further down the road, I figure it makes sense to use the topic corticosteroids every time I have bothersome eczema/psoriasis symptoms.

You do use eucerin (or a generic equivalent) lotion, yes? It is my darling, my sweetheart, my first line of defense, and a moisturizer I'll love to the ends of the earth.

Note: I am not, and never will be, a doctor, so take my medical advice with a very large grain of salt.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to get eczema on my legs every winter. It was a pain very itchy and painful.

I even went to the doc and they said I had both eczema and a SKIN COLD! (I didn't know that your skin can get the common cold)

Anyway they put me on this prescription cream and I have managed to stave off any new eczema attacks by keeping my skin super moisterized. (my doc suggestion) Afer much experimentation I have found that a really heavy body lotion like works wonders in PREVENTING outbreaks. (even my doc was happy as i haven't had an outbreak in YEARS now) In the summer i still moisterize like mad...only I use a lighter cream my fav. is Victoria's secret strawberries and champange for the summer and in the winter I head back to the really heavy Shea Butter. (I use bath and body works lay it on thick intense moisture body cream with shea butter from their true blue spa collection) So far its been working great for me
but i know everyone is different.

umm have you ever tried an oatmeal bath? Someone said it was good but i have never tried it since i prefer to EAT my oatmeal not bath in it!

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, I pulled out my cortisone and it has made things livable again. I forgot how quickly it kicks in! It still feels dry but it doesn't hurt or itch nearly as much and the spot around my eye went away last night

I have not heard of eucerin before, could it be an american product? I'll look when I go to the drugstore today.

I can't use heavy cream because I naturally have oily skin on my face, but I do use a facial moisturizer for people with oily skin every day after I wash. Also, if my skin starts getting dryer I use a slightly heavier facial moisturizer with vitamin E in it. Oily skin + eczema makes no sense to me but I promise it can happen.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is the appropriate product page for Eucerin Canada. The brand name is pretty expensive, so, depending on alternatives, it might not be worth it. It's just a super-thick lotion. If you don't use heavy creams, then Eucerin is not for you. I suggest, however, putting heavy creams on your affected areas, and, when you are medicating, putting a heavy cream over your medication. Yes, it's oily, yes, it takes a lot time to soak in, but for the parts of your skin that are dry (the rashy parts) you need all of that oil.

The ingredients of the original Eucerin cream are just: Water, Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolineone and Methylisothiazonlineone.

I've never used Shea Butter, but vampcow suggested it, and I think the idea is the same. It's just that I love Eucerin, and have spread it among my colleagues.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enuja

I've never used Shea Butter, but vampcow suggested it, and I think the idea is the same. It's just that I love Eucerin, and have spread it among my colleagues.
before i found Shea Butter (suggested by one of my college friends) I always used Eucerin and my mom swears by it.
I like the smell of Shea Butter.