Will she hate me forever?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky need a bath... She came back a few days ago from our adventure outside with fleas... While they are pretty much all dead, I did find one on her today (alive), and also she has a little wound on her chin that looks like flea allergy. It is not acne - it started like it was an insect bite - really red, a little swollen, and now it's gotten a pretty big crust... He fur feels a little oily for me too, and since I haven't showered her since I got her from the rescue house.... Now the time has come - and it is tomorrow!

I bought Dawn Original for it, and I am dreading the possibility of traumatizing her...

She was a shy cat forever, and now she shows that she trusts me a lot... She sleeps with me, follows me around the house, etc. She still has some of her old "shy traits" - whenever something scares her she runs to under the bed, and stays there for a LOOOOONG time...

I just don't know... Is she going to hate me forever? Poor baby...
For you who have Ragdolls: How do your kitty react to baths??

Thank you so much.... Appreciate it!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL...she may hate you for a couple hours, but I think cats are generally pretty forgiving...

I would imagine that she would let you know pretty early in whether she hates it or not. If she really doesn't like it, and you're attempting to bathe her by yourself, it might get a little tricky.

I'm not saying don't try, but you also may want to look into getting a waterless shampoo. I used this with Zoey to get the shelter-funk off of her when we brought her home and while she didn't enjoy it, I was able to get her cleaner without traumatizing her with the water in the bathtub.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

LOL...she may hate you for a couple hours, but I think cats are generally pretty forgiving...

I would imagine that she would let you know pretty early in whether she hates it or not. If she really doesn't like it, and you're attempting to bathe her by yourself, it might get a little tricky.

I'm not saying don't try, but you also may want to look into getting a waterless shampoo. I used this with Zoey to get the shelter-funk off of her when we brought her home and while she didn't enjoy it, I was able to get her cleaner without traumatizing her with the water in the bathtub.
What waterless shampoo did you use?

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I got mine from Walmart...it's just a foam. I don't know the exact brand name, but I took a look on Petsmart's website and they appear to have several waterless/dry shampoos, including Furminator and Blue Buffalo brands.

As I said, mine was a foam (liquid in the bottle, came out a foam, actually) and it worked pretty well. It lathered just like as if I was actually bathing her and seemed to get her clean enough!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bathed Kizzy today...no shampoo, just water.
He make quite the ruckus.

I drained the water, grabbed a towel and swaddled him like a baby...stroking him gently to dry him off.

He didn't like the bath at all, but is laying here in my lap an hour later... He seems to forgive quite easily

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, bathing in Dawn or in a waterless foam bath doesn't help much with irritation from fleas/allergies or for getting rid of fleas for that matter. It sounds like it's time to check in with the vet!

Your cat won't hate you forever if you bathe it. Maybe a bit irritated for a couple of hours but then all is forgotten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

In my experience, bathing in Dawn or in a waterless foam bath doesn't help much with irritation from fleas/allergies or for getting rid of fleas for that matter. It sounds like it's time to check in with the vet!

Your cat won't hate you forever if you bathe it. Maybe a bit irritated for a couple of hours but then all is forgotten!
Already checked in with the vet.... Lucky is treated with Revolution; she just came back with fleas on these two days I took her outside... Most of them died within a day or two, but still.... I want to be absolutely sure she has no fleas at all, as she does have allergies to it... Another thing is: I never bathed her after I brought her home from the rescuer... She was very shy, and I didn't want to traumatize her.

Oh well - I think her day will be tomorrow - she is under the bed now - ran away when saw me filling up the bath tub!