I got engaged!! ring pics!

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was a total surprise. I was in the shower and he got home from work and just walked in and asked me. haha.

Now I need an honest opinion on the ring. (since my mom is out of town!)
It's a rare Kashmir sapphire with two emerald cut diamonds on the side.
I never imagined having a colored stone for an engagement ring, but it's REALLY beautiful, and he's always loved blue jewelry on me since I have blue eyes.
I can tell he put a lot of thought into picking it out.

Does it look enough like an engagement ring?
Is it too big?

We still have time to return it and went to look at pure diamond solitaires and three-stone rings, which are gorgeous and sparkly, but they seem sort of plain and unoriginal next to mine. Though they do look more classic.
I don't know, I can't decide.....

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I love it! It might "catch" on things, but is certainly a lot more eye-catching than a diamond solataire. on your engagement.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abnihon

I can tell he put a lot of thought into picking it out.

Does it look enough like an engagement ring?
Is it too big?

We still have time to return it and went to look at pure diamond solitaires and three-stone rings, which are gorgeous and sparkly, but they seem sort of plain and unoriginal next to mine. Though they do look more classic.
I don't know, I can't decide.....
He bought it for you as an engagement ring. It's perfect! I think it's gorgeous.

Try not to fall into "traditional" or "typical".. because there is no such thing. Some want diamonds, others rubies, some emeralds. Who cares what stone is in the engagement ring, so long as it was given to you in the spirit it was meant.

There is no law that says all engagement rings have to be solitaire diamonds. If you like it, and he likes it, then it's absolutely perfect.

Take Princess Diana's ring for example. She had a blue stone surrounded by diamonds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Princess Diana actually had the exact same type of stone as mine! (Kashmir sapphire) Though honestly I like my setting and side stones better. hehe.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, Congratulations!!!!

Now, if you love the ring and he loves the ring, then why question if you should get something else! My goodness, it is so pretty!
How special is it that he picked it out just for you! If you took it back and got something else I think you would feel bad. I wouldn't trade my engagement ring for anything. It is so special and means so much to me because he picked it out for me.

I think it is beautiful and you should keep it!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are already in love with it. Congratulations and best wishes.

Cally

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

He bought it for you as an engagement ring. It's perfect! I think it's gorgeous.

Try not to fall into "traditional" or "typical".. because there is no such thing. Some want diamonds, others rubies, some emeralds. Who cares what stone is in the engagement ring, so long as it was given to you in the spirit it was meant.

There is no law that says all engagement rings have to be solitaire diamonds. If you like it, and he likes it, then it's absolutely perfect.

Take Princess Diana's ring for example. She had a blue stone surrounded by diamonds.
Exactly - It's about the engagement, the promise of a future together, the moment... not about the ring... Besides, it is GORGEOUS!
Congratulations!

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

My engagement ring is a dark saphire with a tiny diamond on each side and I got it on our first wedding anniversary
I think whatever makes YOU happy is best.

Originally Posted by carolinalima

Exactly - It's about the engagement, the promise of a future together, the moment... not about the ring... Besides, it is GORGEOUS!
Congratulations!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wildfire203

My engagement ring is a dark saphire with a tiny diamond on each side and I got it on our first wedding anniversary
I think whatever makes YOU happy is best.

When I was engaged my ring was a ruby surrounded by diamonds. Very pretty!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sapphire is a symbol of loyalty and fidelity... diamonds of love.. .what more could you want???? It's stunning!!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I love the ring! Congratulations

Sapphire engagement rings are so pretty. I know a girl with a huge emerald engagement ring. She said that most people realize it's an engagement ring, so that shouldn't be an issue. Princess Diana's engagement ring was a sapphire wasn't it?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having an engagement ring that you think might be too big is like worrying that you can't close your wallet because you have too much money in it.

It's a gorgeous ring. Enjoy it.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Having an engagement ring that you think might be too big is like worrying that you can't close your wallet because you have too much money in it.

I think it's gorgeous! And if put that much thought into it, why would you ever want to change it unless you really hate it??

My engagement ring is a sapphire with diamonds on each side as well
The style is not one I would have picked out myself, but it's my husband's mother's who died when he was a baby, so it means a lot to us, and I wouldn't change it for the world!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like that your ring is atypical. I think you ought to keep the one he picked out for you, since he gave that to you from his

(And congratulations!
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

I am having more second thoughts today though and am now leaning towards exchanging it for a diamond.
I LOVE the sapphire ring, but I just feel like I want my engagement ring to be diamonds.
And I worry that with this ring, it's too big and fancy and either I'll look stupid wearing it with jeans or scrubs (I'm a nurse) or people will just assume that it's a costume jewelry ring and won't even know I'm engaged!
A diamond also just goes with more stuff and I really could wear it every day.

I'm confused.....

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abnihon

Thanks!

I am having more second thoughts today though and am now leaning towards exchanging it for a diamond.
I LOVE the sapphire ring, but I just feel like I want my engagement ring to be diamonds.
And I worry that with this ring, it's too big and fancy and either I'll look stupid wearing it with jeans or scrubs (I'm a nurse) or people will just assume that it's a costume jewelry ring and won't even know I'm engaged!
A diamond also just goes with more stuff and I really could wear it every day.

I'm confused.....
First of all, congratulations!! and the ring is GORGEOUS

HOWEVER, clearly you have thought long and hard, and in your heart just want something a little difference. At the end of the day it is your engagment right, that YOU are going to wear for the rest of YOUR life, and I personally think it should be exactly what YOU want. For the money that is spent on an engagment ring, if you are having second thoughts, get exactly what you want, and what is practical for you and your lifestyle...... I would not be able to wear a big ring like that for reasons similar to what you stated.... I need stones set inside the ring because I wear latex gloves ALL day, so I understand when you're coming from. I'm sure you're fiance will be understanding, as long as you make sure he knows you still love it and know how much effort he put into it