Well, it looks like I have a new kitty!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my MIL's barn cats, Morris, apparently got into a fight with another tom or some kind of animal and his back leg was ripped open down to the bone. So, MIL took him to the vet and they cleaned up his leg, neutered him and gave him his boosters. He has to kept quiet for 2 weeks, and MIL doesn't have room so guess who is taking care of him.
hehe.

He is the SWEETEST cat! We have to rinse his leg off for 10 minutes twice a day and he is so good, I was amazed. We also have to put ointment on it and give him antibiotics which he takes without too much of a fuss. No scars yet, at least! We've been taking care of him for almost a week and he is probably the calmest cat I've ever met.

In the evening it's cuddle time. The first few days he wouldn't get off my lap and just laid there and purred and kneaded, but now he does get down and go exploring a little. My other cats seem to be fine with him and he already knows the dogs from them being outside. The other night I showed him where the litterbox was, and now he uses it on his own! And last night while he was on my lap, he rolled over on his back so I could rub his tummy. I could even hold his paws and get his claws out....I was so tempted to try to trim them but the clippers were in the bathroom and I just didn't want to move.

He just seems so happy to be indoors, warm and safe. Yeah, he crawled into my heart. So, I guess I now have 7 cats.
Good grief! Oh, he's a light orange tabby (hence "Morris"...MIL named him). I'll try to get pics of him soon. I haven't yet because I was afraid the flash might freak him out but I'll try today.

Anyway, just wanted to share!

nil4664

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also adopted a barn cat from my mother about 3 months ago. She has one bad hock joint which keeps her from climbing trees, and we were afraid she would get into trouble. I've not regretted it so far. She loves it in the house. Almost runs from the door when I open it.

She spent 2 years out there and was a very nervous, needy type cat, always yelling. Now she is very calm and seems to have much more confidence---sort of like a normal spoiled cat.

Years ago I adopted an abandoned cat who had spent a rough couple of years on her own. She also loved it indoors. I think most cats that get a chance to spend time outside in less than ideal conditions appreciate indoors quickly.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awwwww...he sounds very content now with you!!
Also reminds me of a orange stray around here we call "Morris" - who is also one sweet cat!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is such a sweet story. Thanks for sharing. I am amazed too that he is so easily adapting to indoor life. He knows he is one lucky spoiled kitty now
He ain't going nowhere!
Congrats! I can't wait for pics.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh he sounds so sweet
you are great for taking him in

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Him letting you rub his belly shows that he trusts you.
He's probably verrrryyyy happy to have a loving meowmy!

Congratulations!
We want

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nil4664

I think most cats that get a chance to spend time outside in less than ideal conditions appreciate indoors quickly.
Zane must be an exception. He was a stray my father took in about six years ago and he still tries to get out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I'll try to get pics up tonight.

Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

Zane must be an exception. He was a stray my father took in about six years ago and he still tries to get out.
I think a lot of it depends on how "alpha" the kitty is. Last winter when it was really cold we let some of the barn cats in our basement with food, water and warm beds. Most of them snuggled right down, but 3 of them (2 males, 1 female) literally climbed the walls trying to get out. They were the "alphas" in the group, as in they ate first and everyone else waited or else there would be a fight.

I've watched Morris outside while feeding them, and he is DEFINITELY not an alpha. He apparently could hold his own in a fight, but he's definitely a lover not a fighter. A lot of it depends on the cats personality.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow sounds like he's settling in great! He's probably one of those who always knew he wanted to be an indoors kitty and be spoiled rotten.. Such a love!