Multicat Households, How many do you have?

autumnblueangel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

People call me the "Crazy Cat Lady", I call myself the "Psychotic Cat Lady", lol. I'm a Professional 24 y.o in Australia, and I have 21 cats currently living with me, 1 (my eldest) living with my mom & 2 beloved angel kitties that I lost in the last 2 years due to health issues I couldn't prevent or foresee.

I'm curious to know, if I'm the only one to have this many? I know that a lot of you on these forums have many cats, but people gawp at me when I tell them how many I have. It wasn't planned, half of them are of the same family line, but I'm interested to know if anyone is in the same boat as me lol

I don't think I'd have it any other way, although it's stressful, costly, and exhausting at times, I love them to bits.

Anyone else care to share?

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had two cats for ten years and I just loved it. It was so much fun watching the cats play, chase each other and cuddle. Plus they didn't get so lonely when we were away during the day.

Unfortunately both my cats have passed away and are now at the Rainbow Bridge. Midnight left us 7 1/2 years ago, and yesterday was the third month anniversary of Snowball's passing.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
WOW! 21 cats!? Thats crazy!!
Then again I have been known as the crazy rat lady for having 30+ rats at a time.

I just have the one kitty at the moment.
But my cousin (who I no longer talk to...long story,not for these boards) has 9 cats.I thought she had alot.

Are all of your cats fixed?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My largest gang consisted of 17 cats and 5 (large) dogs, but that didn't count the feral colony that lived outside my house. I am down to 10 cats and 3 dogs (large) now. Most of my cats are probably related, as they came from the feral cats that roamed the neighborhood. Yes, every last one of mine was born feral.

The costly part comes in when a lot of them hit their senior years at the same time. I have 5 senior cats right now, and a youngster (5) with health problems. If your cats are all youngsters, start saving money for them now!

You're not entirely crazy.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3, and that is my limit as I currently live in a small trailer.
If and when I get into a house, I do plan on rescuing as many as I can, though my personal limit is 8.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 indoor cats, take care of 2 strays, and 1 semi feral...he has recently started staying inside and has no desire to go out...so I guess that actually makes it 4 indoor.

I'm afraid he is in his last days though.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have three, and if I lived in a bigger place and could afford it, I'd have more. When I was looking to adopt Rocky, he was fostered at a home with 17 cats. I suspect most were most former fosters the family couldn't let go, which I fully understand. I was impressed that there was no evidence one cat lived in that house, let alone 17!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to see this thread come up - I know there must be others but I couldn't find them and the search function didn't render any either (which I thought was weird).

I currently have three sibling cats I rescued two years ago as feral kittens (there was another kitten, but he died from last year's pet food poisoning). I am struggling right now about adding another litter of kittens I rescued five weeks ago. This litter also has four kittens, so that would bring my total up to seven.

Of the three I have, Allen, the male, is an attention hog (he's the cat in my siggy), Meghan is very shy and Rachel has a strong, fearless, and kinda demanding personality. The single male in the new litter is showing signs of becoming a very affectionate cat - similar to Allen; one of the females is a very intelligent, go-go-go kinda kitty - similar to Rachel; and the other two girls haven't relaxed enough to give me a good idea of their personality, but I think they are both probably more on the shyer side of things.

Financially, I can handle a 7-cat household. I am concerned, however, with the mix of personalities, especially with both the boys wanting to be lap-hogs; I don't want an unhappy family. Also, finding landlords who allow three cats is difficult, I can only imagine the search to find one who would accept seven. Finally, after being alone for many years, I have finally begun thinking about finding someone to share life with again and, I'm kinda embarrassed to admit this, but I have to wonder - who would want to get to know a woman with seven cats, never mind actually contemplate marrying her?

So, I'm as interested in responses to this thread as the OP is.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 3 indoor only cats. We adopted Zachary last Sunday as a friend for Forrest. It is a terrific match and they act like best friends already. Zach is very athletic like Forrest and watching the two of them together leaping around like grasshoppers is hysterical
. They race through the house together until they are panting and then lay next to one another to relax.

Lilly is grateful for Zach coming to live with us cause she no longer has to endure Forrest always wanting to play with her. She's more of a "lay around and be comfortable & lazy" sort of girl. Forrest was always bothering her and now that he has a new friend she's back to her old self.

Adding a third cat actually made everyone (including us people) much happier.

jscole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only have one at the moment, but would love to have 3 or 4... the problem is convincing the hubby lol he's not a cat person, but he loves our little Maximus, so I may not have to much trouble lol

knottygirlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have 2 indoors and feed and care for 3 outside. We are currently trying to capture the 2 girls that are outside and bring them in for the winter so our indoor population is about to double!

darling poodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

I'm kinda embarrassed to admit this, but I have to wonder - who would want to get to know a woman with seven cats, never mind actually contemplate marrying her?

So, I'm as interested in responses to this thread as the OP is.
Cough Cough...you could be talking about me, only I'm considered the crazy dog lady
I'm 26, almost 27 and we won't mention number of dogs but my dad has often said that nobody will want to marry me with all my dogs....I'm sure he's probably right but I guess I want the dogs more than i want a guy, LOL!!!

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

(AudioCat, just had to tell you - love your siggy!
)
Awww..thanks. Forrest does look so cute in that infant beanie knit bear hat - and Lilly (miss tortitude) makes the perfect Santa.

bubbles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two right now, and am in the process of adding a third. In the past I've had as many as seven at once!

Gotta love em!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got my 5th cat a few days ago.
Cleo the Sphynx is the new kitten.
My friend in Sd has 60 cats and alot of other animals.
The most we ever had was 10 cats.
When I was younger we all had our own pets.
I had 4 cats, my sister had 1 and my brother had 5.
He has 7 or 8 now but he will get evicted if they fine out.
He wants to buy a house.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 little girls.

When I was growing up, we had 2 mamas. Bones (long story on her name) had 5 kittens, her daughter had 6 which were born on the same day as Bones. Along with another couple of cats and at least one dog.

jessiecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have 21, too. Eleven are inside the house, 7 are in 2 rooms (with access to outside enclosures) in the garage, 2 are ferals who live in our yard and sometimes come in the garage (but are separated from the "garage cats"), and 1 is an outside/sometimes-garage-cat who was given to us 3 months ago by his owner who was moving.

Most of our cats are related also. The youngest 2 are 4 yrs old and the oldest is 14/15 yrs; the rest are between 8 and 13 yrs. We love them all to pieces, but it is an enormous amount of work (I love it, though, when someone comes to my home and says they would never know we have that many cats, because there is no oder).

As the majority of my babies are senior cats, we have encountered a fair number of health issues. The most serious right now is Baby (a garage cat), who was diagnosed on 8/25/08 with kidney failure. She is doing very well right now and I pray she will continue to for a long time, but I am preparing myself for the inevitable down-turn. Two years ago, we lost our Freckles to cancer. I still miss her terribly.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I have 14 right now
My personal limit is 9 and I haven't seen that in a long time
all of them are FeLV positive and 100% indoors. I also have a dog with an identity crisis

As far as anyone wanting to get to know and/or marry me cause of my cats
on them if they don't! they're not the kind of person I'd want to get to know and marry
Besides, my cats make me a lot happier than any guy has ever been able to, and if that makes me the crazy cat lady, then coo coo kachoo! I am the cat lady!!!