Canned only?--wellness or what?

lovemypets81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive been reading and researching bout cat urinary problems such as with my cat sweetie. From what ive gathered,it seems cats like that with stones and crystals should be kept on wet food only diet. Now my question to you all is,what about my other cat? She has no urinary problems at all. She has had hairball issues though. Since we have switched to pro plan wet and dry,her hairball issues seemed to have gone away. But Sweeties urinary problems started. So im thinking we need to get them off of pro plan and onto something better. The vet will probably give us a rx diet for him,most likely canned. I was looking at different natural cat foods online. Is wellness a good one to try? I know my cats will eat out of each others bowls at some point so i want her to be on something that wont have a potentially negative effect on his kidneys. I know I should ask the vet this as well,but just curious what you all thought.

This might be a tough one since they are used to always having a bowl of dry around. It seems a bit controversial whether it should be just wet or a combo. But if thats what my boy needs,then wet it is. My mom will have a tough time with this too. She will be like but they are hungry! For awhile though neither cat would eat wet food. At least a couple months or so. They are very finicky so im not even sure if sweetie will eat rx food lol. How would i transition them to wet only? Also,how much can are you supposed to feed them anyways....Half a can each? full can? i was never sure.

Anywho sorry so long. If there is another canned natural food out there that would be good to try as well,please let me know. Ive looked at so many that I am completely lost now. Thanks!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sharky will find this and will offer you sound advice as far as what foods are best.

I agree to feed as much wet as you can. My chronic bladder problem boy (Muddy) refuses to eat any of the prescription food, so he takes medication (Urikare) to supplement his diet. With that medication, it gives me more options on what I can feed, but I still avoid all fish flavors (they are hard on the bladder), and everyone can share each others food (as they like to swap bowels as they eat).

I honestly feed mine what they will eat. We tried every last grain free wet that I could find, and none of mine liked them. If they won't eat it, I'm a believer in giving them a lesser quality wet that they will eat, than giving them a good quality that they won't. Mine will eat Authority, Science Diet, Maxcat, and the occassional Friskies. I know, junk food.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wet food would be great for both of them, it's good for any cat that will eat it and actually can prevent crystals, UTI's etc. from ever happening.
wellness IMO is one of the most expensive wet foods out there, even compared to foods as good and better. Of course compared to prescription foods i don't know.
Some cats will transition onto wet food easily, just put it down and they eat it, some take a LOT of work, depends on the cat. I've been trying for a year and JUST found a wet Willie seems to like, Neko won't eat any. I gave them a low quality wet once, Willie got about 1 oz. (and loved it) and then had diarrhea across three rooms of the house. So I have a dilemma, hopefully your cats will be easier.
Split the can into 2-3 meals and feed a total of about a 5.5 oz. can per cat. That's just an estimate, each cat will very, but generally the recommendation on the can is WAY too much.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My opinion is dry food isn't needed and canned is good for them both. Canned can be left down all day too. Wellness, merrick ior any othe canned with no grains and byproducts are top quality and good ones to try

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please ask your vet for specific % ages of magnesium, calcium and phosphorus .... as well as the %ages for fiber( wet food has very little so you may have to get a supplement, I personally have found butter to work for hairballs
)

the "best" foods available often ARE NOT good for this issues... the "best" is a very figurative and opinionated issue... lol.. IMHO there is no such for all cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemypets81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! So,anything they will eat basically haha. Sweetie ate some of the prescription wet food so far,but i dont know if he actually likes it. I think its more a im so hungry ill eat anything right about now thing. We are going to take back the pro plan to petsmart,as thats what they have been eating all this time and thats when this problem arose. So off i will find something else that hopefully wont harm his system. He so badly wants dry food,but cant have any. I feel so bad. Plus my other cat is like um wheres the food. Neither are happy heh. Yeah thats a good idea to get percentages. I will take a look at this prescription food and maybe something thats close to that perhaps. I think i read the food labeled senior seems to be lower in those areas,so maybe one of those. Ill let ya know what i find and what she will eat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemypets81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well if ya read my other post on Sweetie,you know that Proplan apparently has 40% protein! Holy cow. So there ya go. I returned all the proplan and got Nutro Max wet and dry. So far so good lol. Sweetie even tested it so cant be that bad. Trust me we have tried many many brands of cat food already. They are so finicky bout food. Dry food not too much obviously but wet oh yeah. Lol. I will probably try some of the other nutro wet food other than the max for variety,would that be okay? I mean its the same brand and all just bout. We are trying the gourmet classics right now. Wish us luck lol!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lovemypets81

Well if ya read my other post on Sweetie,you know that Proplan apparently has 40% protein! Holy cow. So there ya go. I returned all the proplan and got Nutro Max wet and dry. So far so good lol. Sweetie even tested it so cant be that bad. Trust me we have tried many many brands of cat food already. They are so finicky bout food. Dry food not too much obviously but wet oh yeah. Lol. I will probably try some of the other nutro wet food other than the max for variety,would that be okay? I mean its the same brand and all just bout. We are trying the gourmet classics right now. Wish us luck lol!
should be ... lol.. key word SHOULD... that is why even though I say it over and over ... ask the vet

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MY boys have done great on Nutro max wet and dry. They absolutely adore the 3 oz chunky cans--my last purchase was of 60 cans...I think I bought every flavor, although only a few each of the fish cans.

Leslie