Hmm just thought about something

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have been gone since the day after thanksgiving.

I'm picking them back up the day after Christmas.

what are the chances they will forget who i am?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once they smell you, you shouldn't have any problem. Remember, cats work more by sound and smell than by vision. Take something that hasn't been washed since they left, like a blanket or some such thing. Maybe a jacket you wore and haven't cleaned. Something like that.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

My cats have been gone since the day after thanksgiving.

I'm picking them back up the day after Christmas.

what are the chances they will forget who i am?
Just curious...where have you arranged to meet them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. I've got the blanket that they slept on as babies. I haven't washed it. I'll take that.

I was HOPING to meet them in OK City but I found out they aren't going that way. So i'm back to Wichita.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Too bad. I'll be in OKC on Christmas, as will my brother from Waldron, AR. He could have gotten the cats within an hour of Hot Springs.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man
bummer.

I have this blanket i'll take with me. man it's going to break my heart if they don't remember me

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, they'll remember you. You might be surprised.

Think of how strong a memory some smells can evoke. For a cat, smells are even stronger emotional cues.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember that story I told you about the older kitten named Pitsy who remembered me after 8 weeks of separation.. and I was just his weekly or bi-weekly caretaker... not his meowmy. They know. And they will remember you. They may be a little confused because of everything they have been through and their journey is not yet over. But rest assured they will know you. I would put money on it.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you're right. Just concerned. It's going to be bad enough that i have to lock them in this room. Thankfully it's not TINY. but it's not big either. walk in closet and half bath in the room do help.

I just want them to relax and feel safe. I know they'll hide under the bed for a few days once they're here.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They will remember you for sure! People go away on vacation and come back a few weeks or a month later, and their babies still remember them.

I was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and when I got home both of my cats ran to me, and were pasted up against me for weeks afterwards because they "missed" me.

I'm so happy you are going to see them soon! 13 days and counting!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbors' cats remember me and I only catsit them a few times a year. I was just over there a few minutes ago and they came running and swarming all over me and and my husband.

You have NOTHING to worry about! They may seem timid and a little freaked at all the changes (or not!), but they'll settle in very quickly after that.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They'll remember you.
There have been times I've been away from home for a length of time (like when I had back surgery) and my babies were always glad to see me - so much so that they'd follow me around for the next few weeks.

How come you don't have your cats right now? Have you been sick or something?

I'm glad you're getting them back!