What's a good cat toy for Christmas?

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for something that will entertain our 9 month-old male -- something he can play with by himself.

I remember seeing this battery operated ball toy that shoots a ball around in circles.

Also, why doesn't catnip do anything for our kitty? He could care less about it.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, knowing cats, any toy not bought will be the one that will entertain them.

Some respond to honeysuckle over catnip. You can buy toys with that scent.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I plan to get my cats the round thing with the ball they can push around, a corrugated card board scratching post with cat nip to sprinkle on it, some balls and mice, and maybe a cat house or tree.

It is genetic if a cat will react to cat nip or not. There are some that do not. All of the cats I have had always do.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
cats dont sart liking catnip until they are older, Im not sure about the age, but I know mine didnt start liking it at all, until they were over 1 years old.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would recommend a turbo scratcher for a present, most of mine really enjoy that thing

if your cat doesn't like nip, try honeysuckle, some cats like that instead

miss purrypot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the very best cat toys I've ever bought was a HUGE (over 200 pieces!) of "milk-jug-ring"-type things. They're made of super-sturdy plastic and are invincible when it comes to the roughest play my kitties can dish out--much better/safer than actual milk jug rings.

My kitties go wild for these rings--they like to shoot them across our tiled floors and will play with them together or alone. My little Siamese girl, Clementine, will hide hers under our dryer when playtime's over. You can get a bag of these at any Dollar Tree (for 1.00$, of course!) in the US. They ALWAYS have them in stock at our 3 local stores, and they come in red, blue, yellow, and green.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought Harley a TurboScratcher for Xmas (with the light-up ball)....she absolutely goes crazy over it. She'll start by swatting the ball around, and then she winds up upside-down trying to get it out of the track with both paws.
It's about the only toy she has that she actually wants to play with by herself. Everything else I have to throw or wiggle (fuzzy mice, jingle balls, etc.) - not that I mind, of course!

I also got her this big, pink catnip mouse...she's going to go nuts over that, since fuzzy mice are her favorite toy.

And like others have said, some cats react to catnip and some don't. Out of the 3 cats I've had (Harley included), they've all had different reactions to it. Spooky didn't care about it at all, Snickers got super-stoned (for lack of a better way to put it), and Harley just gets very silly.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've a theory that the more it costs the less they like it. I usually give mine cardboard boxes. I cut holes in the sides that I call "smacking holes" so they can poke their paws out and swat at each other. Of course, for this game to work for your cat you'd need a second cat sooooooooooo how about a little kitty brother or sister for Christmas? Nine months is a great age to add a second cat!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

cats dont sart liking catnip until they are older, Im not sure about the age, but I know mine didnt start liking it at all, until they were over 1 years old.
Nora is 7 months and Milo is 13 weeks, and they both go crazy for cat nip like I've never seen before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I plan to get my cats the round thing with the ball they can push around
That's it. Thanks.

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I would recommend a turbo scratcher for a present, most of mine really enjoy that thing
I checked it out. I think I'll get one for him. Purrfect.

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

you'd need a second cat sooooooooooo how about a little kitty brother or sister for Christmas? Nine months is a great age to add a second cat!
Not a chance. One is enough for now.

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got my cat a bergen turbo scratcher and a da bird with refills because knowing him the feathers will last a day at most

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a cat tree from ebay. A really big one they come with some toys to attach to the tree

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

a cat tree from ebay. A really big one they come with some toys to attach to the tree
I hadn't thought about ebay. maybe i'll find some stuff there. i gotta spoil my boy for his first xmas

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyLoneWolf

I bought Harley a TurboScratcher for Xmas (with the light-up ball)....she absolutely goes crazy over it. She'll start by swatting the ball around, and then she winds up upside-down trying to get it out of the track with both paws.
It's about the only toy she has that she actually wants to play with by herself. Everything else I have to throw or wiggle (fuzzy mice, jingle balls, etc.) - not that I mind, of course!
Same here - Lucky loooooves that thing!!!! I need to buy the light-up ball though; maybe that's going to be her X-mas gift. She plays alone with the turboscratcher all the time... Her second favotirte is the furry mouse hanging from her scratch post/tree...

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recently got a mouse toy with a big feather tail at Target and I couldn't resist giving him one gift early. He loves that thing! He carries is around all the time and drops it by my feet and waits for me to throw it across the room

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
'Flinga-ma-string'. Battery operated. Brought every cat out of hiding and napping. Super fun to watch them play.

dogstar5988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got Panther her own stocking full of goodies this year. Plus she just got a Turboscratcher and LOVES it so far, shes been playing with it non-stop. Her stocking is full of small furry mice and fur puffs plus a lazer toy. We also just got her one of those balls that you put treats in and when they play with it they come out, although she hasn't gotten the point of that one yet (or at least refuses to eat the food thats fallen on the floor):p.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley's absolute favorite toys, that he NEVER gets bored with are:

1. Da Bird

2. His new Cat Dancer

3. Springs! (the wide ones)

Any other toys, he will play with a bit, then quickly loses interest. These are a hit every single time. He has been spring obsessed since last Christmas