cafe owner skips town??

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need advice!! Has anyone ever been employed and had the owner of the business suddenly lock the doors and skip town without pryor notice to the employees, thus leaving them without a job and their final paycheck? If so, what can the employees do about it?? Would there be any point of legal consultation??

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was there a note on the door or anything?

All of the employees should get together and contact the board of Labor. They should be able to try to find the owner and get your paychecks at least.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG, what a nasty shock for you!
I hope you can track him down and get some of what he owes you.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't, but my brother in law has. But he knew the owner well enough that he showed up on the guy's doorstep and demanded his money. The guy just forked over cash.

I would definitely either do what catkiki suggested or see if there's a free legal advice number for your location.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had that happen but I did know some people that worked at a local chain pizza store few years ago. They showed up for work a week before Christmas and there was a sign saying they were closed permenantly. No warning, no paycheck, nothing. They did contact the labor board and since it was a franchise that the owner bought, the mother company was nice enough to make up their last paycheck, but I don't think they were required to. From what I hear, the owner took off with all the money and left the state. Last I heard there were criminal charges facing him, but I don't know if he was ever found.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

Was there a note on the door or anything?

All of the employees should get together and contact the board of Labor. They should be able to try to find the owner and get your paychecks at least.
Nope!! There was no note and no phone calls. Our floor manager finally got him on the phone and he told her he was shutting it down and he couldn't pay the employees because the bank had frozen his assets! He's heading to another state this afternoon. He didn't want the manager to tell the employees anything just yet....but she did.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Nope!! There was no note and no phone calls. Our floor manager finally got him on the phone and he told her he was shutting it down and he couldn't pay the employees because the bank had frozen his assets! He's heading to another state this afternoon. He didn't want the manager to tell the employees anything just yet....but she did.
Ok, if that's the case, maybe a call to the police?

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

OMG, what a nasty shock for you!
I hope you can track him down and get some of what he owes you.
Thank you. So do I! Especially since it's almost Christmas!

Originally Posted by emrldsky

Ok, if that's the case, maybe a call to the police?
That's a good idea, but the managers still have the keys to the place, and the are talking about raiding the place if we can't get him to pay up before he leaves. But I'm not comfortable with that. Some employees want to consult a lawyer, but the others don't want to wait that long!! It's such a mess!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CALL THE LABOR AUTHORITY IN YOUR STATE. No raiding... one person in trouble with the law is enough!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anyone who raids the store will have made themselves a criminal, and there's certainly no point in that! I would call the labor board as suggested, and I would also call the police to see if they can help you in any way.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Hopefully, I can persuade the others to reconsider raiding the place.
I'm no thief and I'm sure the others aren't either, but frustration can bring out the worst in people. I've done a bit of research with the labor board, and now have a few numbers and info to share this afternoon!
Wish us luck!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you. So do I! Especially since it's almost Christmas!

That's a good idea, but the managers still have the keys to the place, and the are talking about raiding the place if we can't get him to pay up before he leaves. But I'm not comfortable with that. Some employees want to consult a lawyer, but the others don't want to wait that long!! It's such a mess!
Call the Labour Board. Don't go in and start taking things. That is theft and could get you in serious, serious trouble!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the bank a local one?? Is the business a franchise that you can find out where the home office is?

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

If the bank a local one?? Is the business a franchise that you can find out where the home office is?
His bank is in the next county and so is his other two restaurants, which he has also shut down this afternoon.

The employees have decided to go to small claims court Monday morning, if we can't reach/find him before then.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

His bank is in the next county and so is his other two restaurants, which he has also shut down this afternoon.

The employees have decided to go to small claims court Monday morning, if we can't reach/find him before then.
You said he's leaving the state so it might be difficult to track him down. What did the police advise?

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

You said he's leaving the state so it might be difficult to track him down. What did the police advise?
Small claims court!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Small claims court!
That's so silly. I hope they track him down and make him pay up! This has got to be really frustrating!