Bengal is stalking timid Abyssinian

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My female Bengal is stalking my 6 year old male abyssinian like prey. She will not leave him alone. It starts out like she wants to play with him and then she bites him on his neck and he gets upset and it's on. He runs from her and she literally stalks him. He jumps to a high spot and she is right behind him. She won't let up on him. I have cat spats from time to time but nothing like this. Everyone in my household is spay/neutered. I wonder what this new behavior problem is?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a hierarchy battle. We're going through that right now between our maine coon, Runner and our neutered bengal boy, Titan.

They have had several confrontations, but on our case Runner is starting it.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Sounds like a hierarchy battle. We're going through that right now between our maine coon, Runner and our neutered bengal boy, Titan.

That'll be interesting to see who comes out on top.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Xander does this to Riley as well. Sometimes I have to put him in time out because he just won't let up. Its been going on for months though and I'm not sure that Xander isn't just playing too rough. Riley screams like a girl if any cat jumps on him, so its hard to tell

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

How old is the bengal? and how long have they been co-hanitating?
Zoey is 1.5 years old and she has been with Dion since she was a kitten. She doesn't pick on anybody else but poor Dion. We have 4 others she could mess with, however they might give her a bit more of a fight!

Do females do this to males?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

Zoey is 1.5 years old and she has been with Dion since she was a kitten. She doesn't pick on anybody else but poor Dion.

Do females do this to males?
Was Dion the alpha before Zoey started picking on him? I don't think gender has much to do with it. Is Dion getting hurt? If he is, I'd stop her and separate them when she gets out of hand.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Was Dion the alpha before Zoey started picking on him? I don't think gender has much to do with it. Is Dion getting hurt? If he is, I'd stop her and separate them when she gets out of hand.
Dion has never been the alpha cat. I always feel bad for Dion when she does this and I tend to pick him up and cuddle him to break it up. She doesn't show signs of jealousy because she just goes on to do something else when she is wound up.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Bengal Simba does that to my 12 year old Siamese Shane, as well as my female Bengal Angel, I got from Nial. It's gotten to the point that my older Siamese growls the moment Simba comes near him, even if Simba is NOT trying to stalk or pounce on him. My female Bengal is terrified of Simba she shreiks like a cat in a catfight when Simba approaches her. Then she turns around and picks on my little Female Siamese, SunLee. It's not a war zone in my house, when they are all sleeping, but at times it can be, and I know that Simba is behind most of it, and he refuses to mind me. But...I love him to pieces.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You may need to consider rehoming one of your cats. Everyone here with multiple cats that fight - this is NOT GOOD.

Some cats will live quite happily with others - others are top cats or alphas.

If you have more than one alpha and neither will back down - one has to go for the peace and well being of all.

I've luckily never had this problem, but I will say my Diablo RIP, was the
alpha.

He only once acted out - he bit Lexi girl to let her know she was NOT going to mess with HIM when she tried to become alpha cat.

She got the message and frankly lived in terror of him after that. Though he never lifted a paw to her or any other cat in the group ever again. When he was a kitten he was quite nice to his cohort Sheba, but once he grew up, he would sometimes come groom her, only to jump on her and bite her on the neck (showing dominance).

She would howl and fight back, and then he'd leave her alone. Sometimes he'd go so far as to chase her off the bed where she was sleeping with me. It was quite territorial as far as I could tell. Otherwise however he got on fine with her even to sleeping together when I was away.

All the other cats in our life, deferred to Diablo. As I said, we were lucky. Now he is gone, there will be some reordering of the heirarchy.

I would also like to add, cats do not reach "maturity" till 3 yrs of age. As this time approaches, cats become more assertive, as they are no longer kittens or young cats. This is the time that kittens who were formerly peaceful can start becoming terrors to their elders.

You can allow them to work it out, as I did with Lexi and Diablo and Sheba, and maybe get some puncture wounds and serious bites (as we did) OR you can try to break up and re-direct the aggression.

But keep in mind, if you don't succeed, that one of your beloved kitties will wind up miserably stressed out and you may have to rehome someone. Not fair I know, but true.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by opilot

You may need to consider rehoming one of your cats. Everyone here with multiple cats that fight - this is NOT GOOD.

Some cats will live quite happily with others - others are top cats or alphas.

If you have more than one alpha and neither will back down - one has to go for the peace and well being of all.

I've luckily never had this problem, but I will say my Diablo RIP, was the
alpha.

He only once acted out - he bit Lexi girl to let her know she was NOT going to mess with HIM when she tried to become alpha cat.

She got the message and frankly lived in terror of him after that. Though he never lifted a paw to her or any other cat in the group ever again. When he was a kitten he was quite nice to his cohort Sheba, but once he grew up, he would sometimes come groom her, only to jump on her and bite her on the neck (showing dominance).

She would howl and fight back, and then he'd leave her alone. Sometimes he'd go so far as to chase her off the bed where she was sleeping with me. It was quite territorial as far as I could tell. Otherwise however he got on fine with her even to sleeping together when I was away.

All the other cats in our life, deferred to Diablo. As I said, we were lucky. Now he is gone, there will be some reordering of the heirarchy.

I would also like to add, cats do not reach "maturity" till 3 yrs of age. As this time approaches, cats become more assertive, as they are no longer kittens or young cats. This is the time that kittens who were formerly peaceful can start becoming terrors to their elders.

You can allow them to work it out, as I did with Lexi and Diablo and Sheba, and maybe get some puncture wounds and serious bites (as we did) OR you can try to break up and re-direct the aggression.

But keep in mind, if you don't succeed, that one of your beloved kitties will wind up miserably stressed out and you may have to rehome someone. Not fair I know, but true.
In my case the option of giving up a cat is non exsistant. Zoey is stalking Dion and picking on him. She is not getting in to full blown cat fights with him, it's just when she goes into stalking mode it goes on until somebody breaks it up. When the little spotted terror is tired and not stalking him she sleeps with him and my other cats on the bed.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several people I know with Bengals plus other breeds/domestics say that the Bengals can be so much more active and predatory in play that other cats find it really intimidating, if not frightening. I would not bring just 1 bengal in to my 2 Ori, 1 DSH home, I would get 2 Bengals so they had a similar energy level cat to play with.

Do you just have the 1 Bengal? Problem is that with 1 high energy cat and 1 lower energy cat is hat the lower energy cat will feel bullied and the higher energy one has loads of playtime left in it even when it has chased the lower energy one into submission. Bengals are beautiful cats, but I would never get one on its own to live with another cat, I would get 2 littermates so that they could always have a playmate with similar energy level. Do you have just 1 purebred Bengal in your home?

I am not sure what to suggest, other than make sure the one being picked on can get away to a seperate area.

If this is a new behaviour, it could be due to a new stress that has occurred, or possibly the compounding of small stresses over a period of time - overcrowding, shared feeding areas, change in your work patterns, smaller territory than they are used to, change in environment, a new tomcat prowling outside - all sorts of things can cause unease between previously content housemates!

Hope you manage to get it sorted OK.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Several people I know with Bengals plus other breeds/domestics say that the Bengals can be so much more active and predatory in play that other cats find it really intimidating, if not frightening. I would not bring just 1 bengal in to my 2 Ori, 1 DSH home, I would get 2 Bengals so they had a similar energy level cat to play with.

Do you just have the 1 Bengal?

Hope you manage to get it sorted OK.
I think your right. Zoey is the only Bengal in the house. She has 2 abys to play with and one of them has turned into her prey. My other cats are way to old for her energy so they just ignore her and her antics. She seems to know not to mess with her elders. My other abyssinian who is my sweet little guy who "never does anything wrong" is turning into a thug along with Zoey. This is really interesting watching the dynamics of this cat family. The aby she is picking on is our star mouse hunter and food mooch. She has decided she is going to defend the kitchen table from him now. They are like spoiled little kids...

I would love to get her a companion Bengal kitty but my finances are not justifying that right now. I still don't know if we have to relocate for the job I interviewed for. I try to play with her as much as possible. We have little games we play together and it keeps her happy.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I figured out part of the problem. Zoey is jealous!
She is very demanding of my attention. I give her that all the time. Today when Dion jumped on my lap for love she started right in on him until I redirected her attention to a toy.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think I figured out part of the problem. Zoey is jealous!
She is very demanding of my attention. I give her that all the time. Today when Dion jumped on my lap for love she started right in on him until I redirected her attention to a toy.
Yes, bengals can be jealous and what makes it worse for you, is that Aby's are so much like bengals in temperament, energy and wanting attention.
There is bound to be some competition for your attention and I'm sure there are some grudges being held.

Our altered bengal boy, Titan is closely bonded to me, he gets very jealous and acts out if he feels he's being slighted in the attention area. He makes up for his occasional bad behavior by being one of the most loving bengals we have ever had.

Bengals are very emotional cats, and they wear those emotions on their sleeves.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, bengals can be jealous and what makes it worse for you, is that Aby's are so much like bengals in temperament, energy and wanting attention.
There is bound to be some competition for your attention and I'm sure there are some grudges being held.

Our altered bengal boy, Titan is closely bonded to me, he gets very jealous and acts out if he feels he's being slighted in the attention area. He makes up for his occasional bad behavior by being one of the most loving bengals we have ever had.

Bengals are very emotional cats, and they wear those emotions on their sleeves.
I am Zoey's favorite. She has really bonded with me. She goes to bed when I go to bed, and gets up when I do. When she is awake she is always in the same room I am. She calls me when she wants to play upstairs. We have a little game we play on the upstairs ledge. They are really amazing cats and devoted to the people they love.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am Zoey's favorite. She has really bonded with me. She goes to bed when I go to bed, and gets up when I do. When she is awake she is always in the same room I am. She calls me when she wants to play upstairs. We have a little game we play on the upstairs ledge. They are really amazing cats and devoted to the people they love.
Yes, exactly! Bengals are not for everyone, because they are so demanding of your attention, but the rewards of being owned by one are hard to explain to someone who doesn't have a bengal in their lives.
I will admit that Titan does get on my last nerve occasionally.
He doesn't do it on purpose, he just wants my total attention, because apparently I am his god.
But to be honest, I couldn't ask for a better more devoted pet.