Question about grain free foods

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering ( after alot of reading) are cats fed grainfree diets more likely to get blockages and UTI's? doe the grainfree cause it?I have my cats on both grainfree dry (natures variety instinct) and also a grainfree wet( evo,and by nature) should they be getting some grains?They free feed the dry ( they really don't eat much of it) and they get about 5 to 6oz of wet each a day.Is instinct a good grainfree dry?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that if they are prone to them they shouldn't be on a grain-free diet--as grain-free isn't meant for that. But I haven't read anything that says it will cause them.

Because I have two boys I am hesitant to go all grain-free so they are eating grain-free dry but not grain-free wet.

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks!I have 3 boys and 2 girls, and I have read all the benefits of grain free and I know cats should not really have grains and such....but I have also heard people say they didn't feed it because of UTI problems and such?? so I am just confused!!I don't want to make any of my cats sick and I want to feed them well.

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmamiof4

Thanks!I have 3 boys and 2 girls, and I have read all the benefits of grain free and I know cats should not really have grains and such....but I have also heard people say they didn't feed it because of UTI problems and such?? so I am just confused!!I don't want to make any of my cats sick and I want to feed them well.
That's how we all feel. We just want to feed them the best food possible. In my humble opinion, I think you should continue feeding them grain-free, because it is the best food out there. Your cats might not be UTI-prone. A lot of people feed grain-free and their cats are completely healthy and UTI-free.

I am on Wellness Core atm, switched over about a month or two ago. Pooch is currently on his second UTI, and he just got prescribed a second antibiotic because Amoxycillin isn't doing the trick. We are in the same situation you are in... trying to find the best food out there for our cats. We might have to go with a dry food with grains, but we will keep our grain-free Wellness wet food (with no fish). Luke and Kelly (my other 2 babies) are fine on Wellness Core.

Wish you all the luck and lack of headache in the food situation. I know how you feel. Torn.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naia

That's how we all feel. We just want to feed them the best food possible. In my humble opinion, I think you should continue feeding them grain-free, because it is the best food out there. Your cats might not be UTI-prone. A lot of people feed grain-free and their cats are completely healthy and UTI-free.

I am on Wellness Core atm, switched over about a month or two ago. Pooch is currently on his second UTI, and he just got prescribed a second antibiotic because Amoxycillin isn't doing the trick. We are in the same situation you are in... trying to find the best food out there for our cats. We might have to go with a dry food with grains, but we will keep our grain-free Wellness wet food (with no fish). Luke and Kelly (my other 2 babies) are fine on Wellness Core.

Wish you all the luck and lack of headache in the food situation. I know how you feel. Torn.
Thanks!we have not had any issues thus far....hopefully it will remain this way
I hope your Pooch is feeling better real soon

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To date NO grain free drys are certified for UTI health and only two are near the guidelines ( they still do not fall within) .... MANY grain free wet fall within guidelines

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

To date NO grain free drys are certified for UTI health and only two are near the guidelines ( they still do not fall within) .... MANY grain free wet fall within guidelines
So is it not better to feed all grain free? should I rotate or mix it with a dry food with grains?Thanks for the info

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does Wellness wet fall within guidelines? What are the guidelines?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
for basic guideline do a search on site here ... magnesium at or under .025 in a wet food ... if memory serves most wellness to fall in or right outside

I am of the BEST is dependent on each cat ... some yes grain free is great other s need some grain

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Remember that it's the dry that may not be best for cats with UTI problems (many dry foods grain free or not do), generally wet food will not cause them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxy24

Remember that it's the dry that may not be best for cats with UTI problems (many dry foods grain free or not do), generally wet food will not cause them.
by and large that is correct .. but for those needing to feed dry there are dry specific to uti health

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know, I was just making sure the OP was not under the impression that both dry and wet grain frees were bad for cats with UTI issues, it's usually just the dry.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay so if I rotate between natures variety instinct,taste of the wild and Go turkey duck and chicken grain free.....are those 3 good foods,well has anyone here used them and had good results? I am already doing the natures variety and recently started with the taste of the wild they like both.I ordered a bag of the Go grain free.My cats didn't like the wellness core and are now refuseing it oh I also was also considering doing evo in the rotation.Wets I have are natures variety instince ( just picked up yesterday) by nature/evo and I ordered some of the Go grain free wet as well.Thanks again