TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Cats purr to heal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cats purr to heal

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
You'll notice that cats purr when they are content, sick and in pain.
It was believed for a long time that cats purred when they were happy, but that doesn't explain why they would purr when they're sick or in pain.

I read recently that there is a university study going on right now to test whether cats purr at a frequency that helps their bodies heal. Which would explain why cats heal quicker than dogs and other animals.

I firmly believe this is the case. It makes the most sense.
post #2 of 11
I agree. I even think that when I am not feeling well and have one or two cats purring beside me, they help in me getting better faster.
post #3 of 11
If you read back through some of the threads here you'll see that this is something we TCS folks have known for a long time. They purr when they are in pain so it must be a reliever of some kind for them.
post #4 of 11
Aphrodite (Dite) purrrrs all the time and she has a broken neck. She isn't in any pain but I think she obviously knows something is up...just not quite sure what it is. She starts purring with this slight almost whistling / singing sound when she gets her cheeks rubbed or just above her eyes. She LOVES it! But I wonder if the constant purring for her is gonna help her heal faster......
post #5 of 11
When I had my D&C back in April I had two kitties in bed with me purring away. What's crazy about it is I think they were trying to help me as the NEVER share space that close. Even my unborn baby has reaped the benefits of purring because when Wickett lays near my stomach and purrs I can feel it vibrate through my whole stomach.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstychik View Post
When I had my D&C back in April I had two kitties in bed with me purring away. What's crazy about it is I think they were trying to help me as the NEVER share space that close. Even my unborn baby has reaped the benefits of purring because when Wickett lays near my stomach and purrs I can feel it vibrate through my whole stomach.
Your baby is destined to be a cat lover
post #7 of 11
They still purr when they are content though right? It's not JUST when they need to heal..
My kitty purrs as soon as he sees someone walk into the house and approach him...If I see him purr all by himself I would be worried but it seems it's his reaction to seeing a human ...
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
They still purr when they are content though right? It's not JUST when they need to heal..
My kitty purrs as soon as he sees someone walk into the house and approach him...If I see him purr all by himself I would be worried but it seems it's his reaction to seeing a human ...
Oh yes, they also purr when they are happy. This thread was to let folks know that they purr when they are not feeling well too. Mostly folks assume that if a cat is purring it is happy but it can also indicate it is in pain.
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cococat View Post
Your baby is destined to be a cat lover
It's inevitable I'm sure. I am and DH is even though he won't admit it. We were watching (I think it was cats 101) where they had these guys up in a really cold climate and to keep them company they keep cats with them. Maine Coons I think. DH turns to me and says "Just us, the cats and some good whisky and I'd be happy!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
Oh yes, they also purr when they are happy. This thread was to let folks know that they purr when they are not feeling well too. Mostly folks assume that if a cat is purring it is happy but it can also indicate it is in pain.
Frankie purrs loudest when there is chicken or nip involved.
post #10 of 11
I noticed something today that goes along with this post. I'm a professional pet sitter so I get to meet lots of cats. One that I'm currently caring for is totally deaf. When she "meows" she opens her mouth and looks like she's meowing but doesn't make any sound. She does purr out loud though. She has a really nice rich purr. I read this post the other day and thought of it today when I took care of Tia. I don't really know how it relates but maybe someone more read on the subject than myself can help me piece it together!
post #11 of 11
Kismet was very sick at one point with FLS. She got to the point where she couldn't even walk she was so weak and she was yellow with jaundice. She would curl up in a dark corner and close her eyes and purr louder then anything i've ever heard.

Luckily she is sitting on my lap happy and healthy as can be purring away right now....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Cats purr to heal