Tail Injury? Missing fur

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, and thanks again for everyone who has posted in response to my many questions (joy of being a cat owner again after years of not having one). I am going to the vet tomorrow, but patience is not a strong suit LOL...and this way too, I can update this post after I see the vet and it may help someone else down the road.

My new kitty is missing a chunk of fur on her tail and I was able to get a pic of it today. At first I thought it could be because Kismet (my kitty's name) had been 'beat up' by the other two cats he was with.... but as I inspect the area I don't see any scabs or scratches/wounds. It looks very dry and flaky. There seems to be some hair growing from it.

Can anyone shed some light on Kizzy's tail? Thank you for looking.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny - This is exactly how my Lucky came to me... The rescuer said it was probably because she was so stressed out, that she kept overgrooming herself on that spot... I took her to the vet and she put her on an antibiotic/antiviral/antifungal for 10 days - last day will be this upcoming Thursday. For me there is a possibility of being ringworm, since the area glows under a UV black light... Do you have a black light for your reptiles or fishes? If so, you can put the tail under it on the dark - if it is fluorescent it's likely to be ringworm, and you can ask the vet to run a culture...
Good Luck!

preciouskits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmm... Almost looks like a flea allergy. Does the kitty have any flea's? If so that is a common area for the flea's to irriate and that would be my guess. I hope you find out soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by preciouskits

Hmmm... Almost looks like a flea allergy. Does the kitty have any flea's? If so that is a common area for the flea's to irriate and that would be my guess. I hope you find out soon!
I inspected her today and did not see any fleas.
Nor do I have a blacklight....

Vet's in 7hrs so that's good. I've never actually been excited to go to the vet LOL, this time I am.