I have to laugh, for a couple reasons

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
start off with one of those, its probally better if you knew me, or even just knowing I keep reptiles and have for the past 6-7yrs helps. (and yes, some of those snakes are big enough to ummmm....heck, they are big enough they could hurt me if they wanted to....)

I'm laughing because everyone on my Facebook is laughing at me. The snake lady got a cat...better keep it away from the boas.

Have no fear, my kitty will not meet my snakes till he's well settled in, and even then it will not be somewhere he will be allowed to go unattended.

Those who aren't laughing about that, are laughing as they wonder what I had to do to convince my husband to let me have a furbaby.

Now here's a kitty story:

ya, remember how I was saying the new kitty hid under the bed? He does....when I'm awake. However, when I am trying to sleep is a different story

I took someones advice, and last night I took my computer up to my room and just played quietly on the comp with the radio on or tv on. I tried a dangly toy, and the kitty would come out and play with it and go back under.

Once I turned in for the night, about an hour later (I have sleeping probs, so this would be about the time I was falling asleep) I hear the kitty moving about. Next thing I know, PLOP, he's on my pillow. He comes around to the front of my face, sticks his face in mine and starts cuddling with me. As tired as I am, I'm grateful for his attention so I start petting him.... holy PURR-MACHINE. Then he goes and gets himself comfy, pushing my head so he's under my chin, nuzzled in well, and taking up 3/4 of my pillow :eek:

Fine and dandy, we snuggle for a bit and I get up to use the washroom...he scurries back under the bed.

And then we repeat...and repeat...and repeat.

He has this thing for shoving his face right in mine, like nose to nose while he sniffs me LOL. He did curl up against my belly at one point, which was better than in the face.

I am soooo tired today.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to move him to a different room for sleeping as I know my hubby will NOT like this much
especially if he wakes to cat in the face.
funny to me, not funny to hubby. And till the adjustment period is over, I have to do what I can so the cat does not annoy the hubby. (not the cat's adjustment period, my hubbys LOL)

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH, yes, please be careful. The boas could easily make a snack out of the cat!

And what you are experiencing is true progress with kitty. I don't know how to advise you to keep the cat out of your face unless he's not allowed in the bedroom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

OH, yes, please be careful. The boas could easily make a snack out of the cat!

And what you are experiencing is true progress with kitty. I don't know how to advise you to keep the cat out of your face unless he's not allowed in the bedroom.
Have no fear, all my snakes are kept in my snakeroom, which they cannot escape. It is highly doubtful they would think to snack on the cat due to being raised on other food, but either way, they will not be close to each other at all just in case. The closest they will come to each other is if the kitty is in the snakeroom with me, while the snakes are in their enclosures.

I don't know what to do about the kitty in my face issue. I don't mind if he'd curl up anywhere but my face. I have a bed for him, beside my bed that I plan on putting him in anytime he is sleeping by my face, I just didn't want to do that last night because it was his first try at being social. I didn't want him to feel "punished" for being friendly.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had this issue in the past too, it seems like the scared kitties feel much more comfortable when it is dark and you are lying down
luckily I sleep thru kitties in my face

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy, do I have a horror story involving a 18'+ blind Burmese python and Frankie when she was still a kitten. I'll share if you want.

When I intentionally introduced her to the snakes it was kitty face to snake tail so no one was in danger. Of course, there was on time I had my Red Tail out and Wickett was lose too (DH was supervising) and did something to scare the snake. No worries though, it was me that got bit by the snake... not the kitty.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Boy, do I have a horror story involving a 18'+ blind Burmese python and Frankie when she was still a kitten. I'll share if you want.

When I intentionally introduced her to the snakes it was kitty face to snake tail so no one was in danger. Of course, there was on time I had my Red Tail out and Wickett was lose too (DH was supervising) and did something to scare the snake. No worries though, it was me that got bit by the snake... not the kitty.
ummm, I can guess with the Burm. I have no intentions of my kitty being introduced to the snakes face to face....At least not untill he is a lot bigger than what I feed my snakes

The closest Kizzy will get to my snakes is seeing them in their enclosures

lucara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really didnt think people would try to introduce their cats to their snakes! I'm considering getting a hogg island boa later on in a few years but personally I'd try to keep it in a seperate room. Even supervised, it only takes a split second for something like a 18' burm to snag and wrap your cat! Arnt you worried at all?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lucara

I really didnt think people would try to introduce their cats to their snakes! I'm considering getting a hogg island boa later on in a few years but personally I'd try to keep it in a seperate room. Even supervised, it only takes a split second for something like a 18' burm to snag and wrap your cat! Arnt you worried at all?
Not sure if the question was directed at me or at the poster with the Burm... But I'll answer aways.

Because I breed snakes, and have a high number of them, as well as having 2 children who have friends over... all of my snakes are kept in one room. My snake room has a door with a lock on it, as well as we made it snake escape proof. If a snake happens to get out of its enclosure, which has happened with the cornsnakes but never the bigger snakes as their enclosures have locks on them, but the snake cannot leave that room. The door is always shut.

So no, I do not worry about the snakes and the kitty at all. I practice safe snake handling at all times, and even the dog is not near the snakes. The closest my dog has been is as I bring a snake upstairs, held with its head grasped firmly in my one hand, body grasped by the other hand...dog is at ground level, comes to investigate and leaves.

My biggest snake is my female boa, who will max out at 7-9 ft. Not to offend the other poster, but I do not believe in keeping 10ft + snakes in my home. They are gorgeous snakes but I believe they should be kept in zoos. Not only are they a potential danger to other animals, but to humans as well. (too many Burms, Anaconda's, and other large snakes are not housed properly, are up for adoption regularly, etc. It makes me quite sad actually. Guessing, 50% of these could have been prevented if the owner did research first) This is just my own personal belief

My female boa is only handled when there is 2 of us present, she is never allowed to be around a neck. (she could easily constrict and overpower me alone) Safe snake handling is my motto.

Personally, I am not worried at all. If I thought for a moment that there could be a problem, I would not have gotten the cat.

PS. Hogg Island boa's are awesome. Gorgeous snakes. I had a beautiful one, very clean, limited speckling. Unfortunately I had to sell her. I had bought her from a man who had had no probs with her temperment. When I got her home, about a week later she was hugely agressive with me. No matter what, she would hiss and strike, and even try to get me through the glass. I worked with her for months and could not get her to calm down. With my children, I do not want a highly aggressive snake. So I sold her to a young lad (by yound I mean 18) and told him about her temperment upfront and honestly, he still wanted her. He emailed me about a week after getting her home, saying she was the sweetest snake, never hissed, NOTHING. I've kept in contact with him and never once has she struck at him.

My belief: she was a man's snake. She didn't like females.
Disappointing for me to have to sell her, but it was the right thing to do.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Chris, welcome to you, your new kitty, your dog and your snakes to the site. (and your other reptiles)

Have you looked through the threads to see other snake owners? There is a member by the name of Lore that also has snakes and Enzoleya, also. I know there are more, too.

It sounds like you have a handle on things with all of your animals.
I am one that is terrified of snakes. I really wish I wasnt, but sadly I am.
The more I see members post about their snakes, on this site, it seems like in someway my fear diminishes, maybe, I still havent come face to face with a snake to really know.

If your hubby can tolerate having the kitty around, the way he is doing when you are in the bed is an excellent way for him to adjust to being there. Cats kind of do things on their own terms and it looks like these are his

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lucara

Trust me, that meeting was NOT intentional. I would NEVER introduce a cat to a snake that size... especially one that was as aggressive as that snake was. Frankie snuck into the room past me. Once I got her out (unharmed) she got a stern talking to!