Help! I'm looking for a less expensive dry food with good quality.

mycatprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am currently using Royal Canin Young Adult YWS 34. It costs me $14 for 6lbs. I am looking for suggestions on something comparable in quality for less.
I have a Super Wal-Mart, PetsMart and PetCo in my area.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you have a Costco near you, then I'd go for the Kirkland brand of cat food. I've attached an image of the ingredients in the dog formula, but the cat formula is pretty much the same quality. This is what I'd go with if I had to go with a cheaper food.

If I remember correctly, it's approximately 20 something dollars for a 40lb bag. Depends on where you are, of course.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatGoddess

If you have a Costco near you, then I'd go for the Kirkland brand of cat food. I've attached an image of the ingredients in the dog formula, but the cat formula is pretty much the same quality. This is what I'd go with if I had to go with a cheaper food.

If I remember correctly, it's approximately 20 something dollars for a 40lb bag. Depends on where you are, of course.
firstly i am sorry to hijack, op!! may i ask do you use this food? how have you found it?

i currenty use nutro indoor care but my goodness the price has climbed horribly

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use the Kirkland and my kitty's love it. They think it tastes great, they look great. I pay $15 for 25 pounds here.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe check the ingredients on Petsmart's Authority foods - IIRC, they're not bad. I'm still managing Nutro's indoor care, plus their wet, which my cats like and hasn't been too bad, although there was a price hike. I keep an eye out for Petsmart's sales, though.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used Kirkland signature in the past and while not quite as high a quality, it does compare fairly well with Nutro Natural, though I notice more dandruff with the Kirkland than I do with Nutro.

Nutro Natural is one the OP should look into, it's decent, well accepted and runs me about $22 for a 20# at Petsmart.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I have used Kirkland signature in the past and while not quite as high a quality, it does compare fairly well with Nutro Natural, though I notice more dandruff with the Kirkland than I do with Nutro.

Nutro Natural is one the OP should look into, it's decent, well accepted and runs me about $22 for a 20# at Petsmart.
I wish we had a Costco around here, I would check out the Kirkland cat food if we did. Nutro Natural has gone up to $35/20 lbs on sale around here.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I wish we had a Costco around here, I would check out the Kirkland cat food if we did. Nutro Natural has gone up to $35/20 lbs on sale around here.
Here, a 8lb bag is 30$ i don't even look at the bigger bags, i think i'd fall over from shock

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How inexpensive are you looking to go? At the Petco by my house they have a food brand called "Halo" Spot's Soup. The 5lb bags of cat food are around 9.99, which is just slightly more than Iams around here.

Here are the ingredients.

Ingredients: Chicken, Pea Protein, Whole Dried Eggs, Oats, Vegetable Broth, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Pea Flour, Chicken Liver, Salmon, Flaxseed, Salmon Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Pea Fiber, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Green Beans, Carrots, Cranberries, Zucchini, Alfalfa, Inulin, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Salt, Folic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcous Faecium, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein - 33.0% Min
Crude Fat - 18.0% Min
Crude Fiber - 6.5% Max
Moisture - 10.0% Max
Ash – 6.5% Max
Omega 6 Fatty Acids - 3.1% Min*
Omega 3 Fatty Acids - .50% Min*
Taurine - 0.1% Min

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
2 possible options - a different RC food in a larger bag [it's cheaper per pound in the larger bags, btw] like the Adult Fit 32 $35 for 15 pounds [do your cats have urinary issues? is that why you've been using the one you have?] or Petsmart's Authority kibble - i've used the latter in the past when i was having cash-flow issues, & my cats thought it was delish. i still use it for the ferals - i get the adult chicken & rice for around $25 for 20 pounds.
RC Adult Fit 32 ingredients:
Chicken meal, brewer's rice, corn gluten meal, chicken, corn, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), pea fiber, beet pulp, chicken flavor, powdered cellulose, fish oil, dried egg products, brewers yeast, sodium bisulfate, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, dl-methionine, taurine, natural antioxidant, iron proteinate, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese oxide, calcium pantothenate, manganese proteinate, niacin supplement, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite, vitamin B12 supplement.
Authority ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Corn, Animal Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2 Polyphosphate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamin Mononitrate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul
that one's also a good one, for the price... can be hard to find, tho. there's a locator for sellers in your area here: locator
ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), ocean fish meal, white rice, potatoes, oatmeal, millet, natural chicken flavor, salmon, turkey, duck, flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, egg product, methionine, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, taurine, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

2 possible options - a different RC food in a larger bag [it's cheaper per pound in the larger bags, btw] like the Adult Fit 32 $35 for 15 pounds [do your cats have urinary issues? is that why you've been using the one you have?] or Petsmart's Authority kibble - i've used the latter in the past when i was having cash-flow issues, & my cats thought it was delish. i still use it for the ferals - i get the adult chicken & rice for around $25 for 20 pounds.
RC Adult Fit 32 ingredients:
Chicken meal, brewer's rice, corn gluten meal, chicken, corn, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), pea fiber, beet pulp, chicken flavor, powdered cellulose, fish oil, dried egg products, brewers yeast, sodium bisulfate, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, dl-methionine, taurine, natural antioxidant, iron proteinate, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese oxide, calcium pantothenate, manganese proteinate, niacin supplement, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite, vitamin B12 supplement.
Authority ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Corn, Animal Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2 Polyphosphate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamin Mononitrate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine.
He does not have urinary issues. Thats what the Vet said to use. Whats the difference between the two Royal Canin?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyCatPrince

He does not have urinary issues. Thats what the Vet said to use. Whats the difference between the two Royal Canin?
well, according to their site, the one you use says this in the description...
ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Dietâ„¢ feline YOUNG ADULT YWS 34â„¢ is a highly palatable, highly digestible diet that is formulated to provide optimal nutrition for male and female neutered cats from operation until 7 years of age. The diet has been specifically designed to help address the major risk factors that affect young neutered male and female cats: struvite urolithiasis and weight gain associated with neutering.
Nutritional differences (as compared to typical commercial pet foods):
  • Increases urine volume to simultaneously reduce the saturation of urine with calcium oxalate and struvite, helping to prevent the two major types of urolithiasis
  • Helps to restrict weight gain and obesity due to its low energy, low fat and high protein content
  • Rich in protein and supplemented with L-carnitine (50 mg/kg) to help maintain lean body mass and restrict the onset of a pre-diabetic condition
  • Enriched with a blend of soluble and insoluble fibers to help reduce digestive problems such as vomiting, constipation and hairballs
  • Helps reduce tartar through the mechanical action of specially designed kibble and the neutralizing effect of sodium tripolyphosphate
  • Enriched with antioxidants to help counter the effects of oxidative stress on immune function and to reduce DNA damage
  • Enriched with zinc, linoleic acid and fish oil to promote optimal skin and coat health
  • Superior digestibility
  • Extraordinary palatability
Recommended for:
  • Neutered male and female cats from operation to 7 years of age
  • To help prevent struvite and calcium oxalate urolithiasis
  • To help reduce the risk of obesity associated with neutering
  • Multi-cat households from operation to 7 years of age
ingredients: Chicken meal, rice, ground corn, chicken, corn gluten meal, wheat gluten, pea fiber, natural flavors, beet pulp, chicken fat, cellulose, dried egg powder, salmon oil, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, DL-methionine, calcium sulfate, sodium tripolyphosphate, monosodium phosphate, soybean oil, choline chloride, L-lysine, taurine, vitamins [DL-alphatocopherol (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin, biotin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement], trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide,ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], L-carnitine, marigold extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract, and citric acid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

well, according to their site, the one you use says this in the description...ingredients: Chicken meal, rice, ground corn, chicken, corn gluten meal, wheat gluten, pea fiber, natural flavors, beet pulp, chicken fat, cellulose, dried egg powder, salmon oil, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, DL-methionine, calcium sulfate, sodium tripolyphosphate, monosodium phosphate, soybean oil, choline chloride, L-lysine, taurine, vitamins [DL-alphatocopherol (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin, biotin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement], trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide,ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], L-carnitine, marigold extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract, and citric acid.
Thanks for posting that. It seems that he is on the right stuff. I'll just buy a bigger bag to reduce the cost.

klaidman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

Here, a 8lb bag is 30$ i don't even look at the bigger bags, i think i'd fall over from shock
the cat food I am thinking of buying for my furbabies is 30$ for 4kg it's Nutram

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The trick to understanding and RC food is look at the numbers beside the name...for example, Fit 32, YWS 34. The numbers indicate the amount of protein that is in the food - Fit 32 = 32% protein and YWS 34 = 34% protein.

It's as simple as that. Another difference factor also is that if you look at the bottom of the bag, you see the shape of the kibble. For example again, Exigent 34/36 means one kibble type has 34% protein and the other type has 36% protein in the same bag...it's also THE most expensive (I think) RC formulation but my cats absolutely adore it!

The contents of each type is more or less the same, just maybe the proportions of each is different.

Can you tell that I've been to an RC seminar yet?

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just buy the bigger bags, they are always money savers.
Of course, watch for sales, I only have one cat so I store in glass canning jars or similar to keep fresh.
I just recently have my aunt who has two cats split the larger bags
with me so we both save $.