Keeping our pets safe during the holidays.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since the holidays are here, I just wanted to remind everyone of the hazards that we have to look out for to keep our fur babies safe from harm.

Supervise pets (particularly kittens) around fragile glass Christmas ornaments. Ideally, ornaments should be large and unbreakable for safety, especially when spending Christmas with young animals.

Cats and dogs, and particularly kittens and puppies, may chew on the electrical cords used to power Christmas lights. Cords should be located out of reach or at least covered.

Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t use loose Christmas tree tinsel, as pets may swallow it and suffer intestinal blockage. Icicles made out of solid material are a better choice.

Anchor the Christmas tree well so that there is no risk of pets pulling it over.

After unwrapping gifts, remove ribbon and other items that pets might swallow or choke on.

Plants that are toxic to cats, particularly mistletoe, holly, and lilies, should also be placed out of reach.
There is additional good info to read up on.
http://cat-care.suite101.com/article.cfm/christmas_safety_tips_for_cats

Also remember to keep our kitties away from the water for the Christmas tree.

Please add any additional warnings that you can think of, so we can help keep all of our cats and dogs safe for the Holidays.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read an article about this topic yesterday!

in Addition you should:

make sure to keep certian foods away from curious cats (like chocolate)

and keep burning candles out your pets way...ie don't place the candles where a dogs tail can knock it over and try to keep it higher then your cats eye level.

They also suggested that since this is a time of alot of gatherings to set aside a quiet place for your pet to retreat to when they get overwhelmed by holiday guests. This place should have a soft bed for them to sleep on and some fresh water.

Since so many people will be visiting make sure to keep an eye on the door so your pet doesn't sneak out!

heh I don't think I have this problem....since whenever my kitties see someone coming up the stairs they high tail it to the closet!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We bought one of those battery-operated "flameless candles" for $5, and it's surprisingly nice -- if you put high enough that you don't see it from above, you'd never know it wasn't real.

Also... we've given up using those little metal ornament hangers, which could be swallowed -- I've made large, rounded hangers for everything, using silver or gold craft wire. They're not only safer, but prettier, too!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually saw a tinsel blockage in a cat at the vet clinic I worked at, and also a dog who had one of those ornament hangers in his intestines. Both had to have them surgically removed, and both were horrible to see.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

We bought one of those battery-operated "flameless candles" for $5, and it's surprisingly nice -- if you put high enough that you don't see it from above, you'd never know it wasn't real.
The flameless candles ARE nice, I was surprised. I'm going to invest in a few more before the holidays.

One thing that helps in our house is boundary spray around the Christmas tree. It doesn't smell great when you first spray it. After about 15 minutes I can't smell it anymore, but apparently the cats can because it usually keeps them away from the tree for the rest of the day. I also put bitter apple on the lower strands of lights and any "new" electric cords (decorations, etc). My cats don't bother the electric cords that are plugged in year round, but for some reason the cords from the tree lights and mantle lights just fascinate them. I guess it's the "newness" factor.