Sleet!?!?!?

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my!
I checked the weather just now for here (Houston) and we are suppose to have sleet throughout the day. Brrrr! This is very rare for us! Last time we had snow was on Christmas day 2004 which is beyond different! I hope my students are bundling up nicely. Our school is an open concept with courtyards. No hallways are enclosed....I am going to be chilly today!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Ooooh, I wish all we had was sleet here
It was 75 degrees yesterday afternoon! My body cannot adapt this fast!! You can keep your snow, by the way

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in San Antonio and we had sleet on my side of town. The FAR northside had snow
lucky them! We went from a record high of I think the high was 85 to sleet and snow in the same day. Only in Texas!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I lived outside of Houston for a few years and we had sleet 1 time. What is so bad about it is that Houston doesn't have any equipment to deal with frozen roads, and most folks don't know how to drive on it. So it's best to just stay home and stay safe when it does happen.

How did it go today btw?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We actually had some snow here on the south side of Dallas last night.

By the way, it's not completely that the people don't know how to drive on ice. It's partly that when we have ice storms, the temperature is close to freezing, and ice is slipperiest at that temperature. At 10 degrees, ice has a much higher "coefficient of friction" than at 31 degrees.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It SNOWED in College Station today! I woke up to snow in the morning, and then from three to past seven there was actually snow falling!

The other grad students and I stood outside and frolicked in the snow like kids when it started.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There wasn't enough at the time, though when I was headed home, I saw at least three full-sized snowmen in various stages of construction!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was pretty chilly throughout the day...the kids still wanted to go out to recess....it rained most of the day and when I left school at 4:30 it started snowing. When I got home, there was a little snow. When we got home about 20 minutes ago (11:30pm) from DH's company Christmas party, there was snow everywhere. It sure is a RARE white Christmas. We took some pictures....I'll post soon. When we were going over a bridge, we saw a lot of cars spin out, luckily my husband's best friend was driving our new car and is from up North and knows how to drive in ice and snow. It was very interesting

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What blows my mind is 3 months ago this week, hurricane Ike was making landfall and now it's snowing?!