My new boys!!

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My ex breeds Multimammate mice or as they are commonly known African soft furred rats, as food for his snakes. I am a big sap and get attached to everything with a face so he had banned me from ever setting foot in his shop where the rat breeding set up is. Its the same reason I don't eat my chickens or raise my own cattle for beef, if I name it I can't kill it!!! I always say how cute they are and go on and on to him about how much I miss our pet rat who passed a few years ago. I can't have a rat since I moved back to Alberta because they are illegal here but these smaller mouse sized rat like guys are legal. I kept saying I was gonna get mice again or try these little soft furred rats as pets but I have never actually gone out and done it. I bred fancy mice, mostly satins, as a child and can honestly say that some of them have been the most interactive and social animals that have ever graced my life.

Today I got home and my ex was waiting for me with a big box with a bow on it!! Inside was a huge cage with all the wheels and fun stuff needed for small rodents. I was like "why did you buy me an empty cage?" and then he handed me a box. I opened it and there were three little faces looking up at me! I can't believe he stopped being heartless and decided that I can have three of his adorable little "snake entree's"!! He always said it would be stupid to keep them as pets because they are just rodents, useless little rodents! Ha who is winning now!!
Years of fighting about it and Victory is mine!! LOL! I am getting to him, he even said they were cute!!!

He picked out three cute little 12week old boys!! They are sooooo cute! I named them Bailey, Benjamin, and Broc. The cage he bought is huge. Its 32" tall x 16"deep x 32"wide and is all metal since they chew like crazy. There are four levels, two wheels, climbing ropes, wooden ladders, and can be attached to my other big mouse cage by a metal tunnel. I used to have four very large mouse cages back when I bred mice and I still have all the old stuff, wheels, dishes, toys, chewing stuff, etc.... so I have to dig all that stuff up and get the cage all set up tonight for them. They are still young and not full grown yet. At maturity they get about the size of a large mouse(not a fancy mouse, they are smaller), and smell way less than mice and rats. Right now they are around the size of one of my full grown fancy mice males. They are also very smart like larger rats which is why they make such good pets! He was surprised to, he thought I would get bite lots trying to tame them because he doesn't handle his snake food at all, but within an hour they were sitting on my hand eating peanuts and carrot pieces!

Bailey is the one with a lot of white on the right, Ben is the solid brown, and Broc is the one on the left in the back.

jscole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
aww
they're super cute!! how come rats are illegal in Alberta but not mice or other rodents? weird...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jscole

aww
they're super cute!! how come rats are illegal in Alberta but not mice or other rodents? weird...
In Alberta we are apparently almost rat free. They went crazy shooting, trapping, and poisoning norway rats here over the last 100 years. We still have mice, but not rats. I have lived in AB most of my life, on farms or in the city and I have never seen a rat here. They made owning pet rats illegal so they don't have escaped pet rats contributing to the very very very tiny rat population we have. Its so stupid. I think they should allow pet rats if you get a permit. I mean my old rat was a neutered male. How is that going to escape and breed? The fines for having one are huge, up to $5000 in fines and a year in jail. I could bump a pedestrian with my car and get off easier then if I got caught with a pet rat!! Its insane!

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are soooo cute! Love their names too.

Funny I found this post.There are some in one of the decent pet stores here and I took an interest.Before now,they were not available here...but I knew of them from another forum I am in.I have rats now and used to breed/raise mice and would love to try these guys.Any info you could provide would be appreciated!

Oh and thats why I will never live in Alberta...I LOVE rats and they are my passion.I love Newfoundland anyway!

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I love rats too!! I hate Alberta but there was no work in BC for me or my ex so we moved back. I will eventually be ending up in BC anyway so I can get back into rats then. Its funny I know these guys look like mice but they aren't quite the same and they are making me miss my mice. I might just have to call my friend that breeds fancy mice and get a couple from her. I love mice and rats so much more than gerbils or hamsters. They are so much smarter and more interactive. Don't get me wrong I loved my hamsters but they tend to be less social and their nocturnal crankiness seems to be so much worse. If you wake a hamster they are pissed. Mice and rats sleep a little here and there and are up on and off during the day.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah,I have a hamster now and 5 rats.
I no longer have mice...altho recently been wanting them again.
And my hamster don't care for me.He has never bitten me,but I can tell when he is moody and he just wants to be left alone most of the time,while my rats are like "ME,ME,ME!!!! LOVE MEEEEE!"...hahaha!

rabernet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm one of those people that also breeds these for snakes (and I breed ball pythons, but that's another story).

They are very cute - just watch as they become sexually mature that the boys don't start fighting with each other. Also if you ever separate them for any length of time, when you re-introduce them, put a drop of vanilla on each and introduce in a cleaned cage that doesn't have the "markings" of any of them.

They're great animals, but they are extremely territorial and will kill any newly introduced one - so it's good you got the trio together!

Congrats!

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rabernet

I'm one of those people that also breeds these for snakes (and I breed ball pythons, but that's another story).

They are very cute - just watch as they become sexually mature that the boys don't start fighting with each other. Also if you ever separate them for any length of time, when you re-introduce them, put a drop of vanilla on each and introduce in a cleaned cage that doesn't have the "markings" of any of them.

They're great animals, but they are extremely territorial and will kill any newly introduced one - so it's good you got the trio together!

Congrats!
Thats why he picked three from the same litter. He remembered that from my mice because they are the same way. I had quite a few males that lived alone for that reason exactly. When I had brothers from the same litter however that were never seperated they lived out their whole lives together without a problem. If these guy end up fighting I do have extra cages so they will be seperated and thats that. I hope they don't though!!

Thanks everyone!! I am so happy with them. They are already so tame. I put my hand in the cage and they jump on and come out. I also found my old exercise balls from my mouse days and the boys had a grand ol time running full speed around the basement(not to mention the fun the cats had with that!!)

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww!! They are so cute!!

Any of you with rats, do you have a problem with your cats trying to hunt them? I've been begging my husband to get a couple rats for YEARS, but he just keeps saying that the cats will eat them so no.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No,Bam is NOT a mouser at all.He doesn't care about my rats at all.
My old cat wanted to play with the rats,but they always kicked his butt and he eventually didn't care about them anymore as well.

That being said,I do keep my rats in a seperate room,which Bam is NOT allowed in (unless I am in there...but he has no interest in that room).