Belly button cord color

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I just thought I'd ask about one of my kittens' cords. It has a slight tinge of green to it where the other kittens are dark brown. One kitten has lost his cord already. I wanted to ask if anyone has encountered this, should I be worried, and if I should apply iodine to around the naval.

Hubby says I should ask the experts. I've only noticed it tonight, and it was fine yesterday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's a hernia, just maybe slightly infected? It's not bright green or anything, but I didn't know if I should be proactive and put iodine on or not. I don't want an infection for this kitten...this kitten is particularly special. It is being presented to our friends as a wedding gift and housewarming present.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Is there any redness or swelling of the skin where the cord is attached? Is the cord completely dry? Is the kitten eating? Does it act differently from the others? Are the kittens different colors (fur, not the cords)?

It could be just a different color cord. Keep an eye on it and if anything changes, get the kitten to a vet.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, to answer the questions:

It's a tiny bit red where the cord is attached still
The cord is completely dry
Kitten is eating just fine and acting just like the others
The kittens are all different colors, the one affected is the tortie

I just came home with fresh qtips and iodine from the pharmacy. We have applied a small amount to the base of the cord and around the base as well. We are going to check first thing in the morning, and if it hasn't improved, then I will take her to the vet. It doesn't look bad really, just different than the others. My husband doesn't think the cord is green at all really, but we took the precaution for tonight with the iodine until tomorrow.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good News!! The cord fell off during the night, the area is not swollen or red. I am assuming Bonnie cleaned it off as there is no iodine on the area either. It all looks good and healthy. Yippee! Man, I'm a worrywart

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skewch

Good News!! The cord fell off during the night, the area is not swollen or red. I am assuming Bonnie cleaned it off as there is no iodine on the area either. It all looks good and healthy. Yippee! Man, I'm a worrywart
You are not a worry wart. You just taking good care of your babies

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that mb, but I still think I worry more than is necessary. It's just that all babies are fragile in the first couple weeks and I don't know how I could live with myself if something happened and it could have been prevented. Ah, all is well though so I'm relieved. Bonnie is the mom for pete's sake and she doesn't look worried!! LOL