Cat Behavioral Problems Please Help SOON!

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I havn't been on TCS forums for so long, but I'm having cat problems and I thought of you all.

First of all, I have a 3 1/2 year old female unspayed (please don't yell at me for this--so many times have I attempted to get her spayed) cat. She was feral when she was a kitten and we took her litter in and found homes for them. She was the first cat we ever got. She was always a little crazy, but, you know, she'e a cat; it kinda comes with the package. She's never liked being snuggled a lot, but she LOVES being around people. She'll follow you from room to room.
Eventually we took on Socks; a nuetered 8 (?) year old former feral cat. Peanuts did not get along with him AT ALL, so Socks lives in a different parts of the house and they're both ok with that.
Over the years we've taken in a few litters of feral kittens, tamed them, and found suitable homes for them. We captured the female cat and got her spayed, then released her. But through all this Peanuts got exposed to more and more cats; she used to hate other cats. She got so indifferent and fine with other cats being in her home that we decided to keep a female kittten (Peekaboo) from the last litter that came through. For a few months they were best friends; often you would walk into the living room and they'd be snuggled up on the couch together.
The Peekaboo is now about 9 months old. I guess the weird behavior started about 3 weeks ago.
Actually, now that I think about it, it started shortly after this strange incident with flea spray about a month ago. The flea epidemic somehow hit my house (again....) and as Advantage is expensive we decided to try something else this time. We had flea killer that you spray on furnature and such but it said that you could also use it on cats, so we sprayed Peekaboo and Peanuts. BIG MISTAKE. Thry started acting weird, walking funny and flicking their paws when there was clearly nothing on them. We took them to the vet and he thinks that a certain chemical in the spray was messing with their nervous system. We had already gave them baths, so there wasn't really much else we could do but wait for it to wear off. Eventually they went back to normal, but I think it was shortly after this that Peanuts stated acting weird. Don't know if this all is relevant but thought that I would include it...
Anyways, like I said, Peanuts used to be good friends with Peekaboo. Then, all of a sudden, she started hissing at her. If Peekaboo walked to close to her, *HISSSSSS*. If Peekaboo was in her spot, *HISSSS*. Peanuts started fighting with her. We shrugged it off as jealousy that would pass (like, maybe Peanuts was feeling threatened that Peekaboo was getting older?) but it's just gotten worse. She's taken to cursing us out, too. Both cats sleep in crates at night, as they run around and wake everyone up. She started giving my dad a hard time when he went to pick her up to put her in. But today was the worst. My mom saw Peanuts getting upset at Peekaboo (and by the way, when Peanuts throws a fit Peekaboo does nothing to retaliate) so she put Peekaboo in the bathroom to give Peanuts alone time with my mom. Peanuts rewarded her by attacking my mom in the face! She's NEVER been like this. Just tonight she growled at me when I picked her up, and then clawed my hand.
So I guess my question is, What's going on? She literally seems like she's CRAZY. All my cats are up to date on their shots, and they don't go outside. Is she literally going mad with jealousy? What do I do? It's not like I'm newly introducing the two cats; they had been friends for a while. Every time that Peanuts acts hateful she gets put in her crate. Is this even the right thing to do? I've never had/heard of this kind of problem.
I guess I should also mention that Peanuts had recently been in heat. I wondered if this was the cause of her behavior at first, but she's been in heat before and NEVER acted this was towards Peekaboo or anyone else.
Please help!!!!

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry she is having trouble. There could be many things that caused this and only a vet will be able to truly help.

The vet mentioned the chemical in the flea spray may have caused a reaction. Have you taken her back to the vet? Has the vet determined that no neurological problems are present? (Vet said the spray affected their nervous system)

Going into heat may have intensified the problem. She also may be associating Peekaboo with what happened.

Can you get her to a vet that can evaluate the possible link between the chemical and her symptoms. Especially a neurological evaluation.

Hope your family gets better soon.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My gut tells me that something is going on with Peanut health wise--and a vet visit needs to happen. Females cats that aren't spayed can have a number of health problems--and it just may be that something is going on and the only way Peanut has to tell you she isn't feeling well is by acting out.

Definitely get her to a vet for a check up and spay

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Peanuts has not been to the vet since the visit a few weeks ago, no. He just told us that it would clear up and he wouldn't need to see them again unless the problems intensified. : (
I'm really beginning to think now that I should take her...it will be interesting taking this to the ones in charge and seeing what happens...already some people (*cough cough my dad*) were unhappy about the visit a few weeks ago...money's a little tight.
But I love my kitty and I don't want to ignore it if somethings wrong with her...so to the vet we will hopefully go.

No, Peekaboo's not in heat (at least I don't think so...) But thanks for the idea. : ) No, she's not spayed. I'm sorry. I know you all are pro-spay (as am I!) but it's a little hard when you're under the wrath of your parents still.
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I really appriciate it.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"Tried to get her spayed." What is the problem? If it is money, doesn't the Humane Society have free spay/neuter clinics where you are?

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you know the name of the spray you used? We had a very bad time with hartz, it caused our oldest kitty to almost die. It can cause very bad neurological problems that could cause this strange attitude she developed. I think a vets visit is the best idea, I know how hard money can be at times, but if you can find a way this kitty may just have something easily fixed.

Manda

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. I don't know how to explain to you that there was SPOT (stop pet overpopulation today- the cheap spay/neuter place in my area) clinic where they were handing out info about $10 spaying for the upcoming weekend but NO ONE WOULD TAKE ME. It was very frustrating...but whatever. I'm waiting for them to do it again. I'm sorry, I really have tried, but I'm a sophmore in HS and I can't drive yet...

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmomof3cats

Do you know the name of the spray you used? We had a very bad time with hartz, it caused our oldest kitty to almost die. It can cause very bad neurological problems that could cause this strange attitude she developed. I think a vets visit is the best idea, I know how hard money can be at times, but if you can find a way this kitty may just have something easily fixed.

Manda
Yeah, the vet told me that Hartz is bad. I'm sorry that that happened to you.

Apparently Adams plus, the brand I used, has some of the same stuff in it.
what symptons did your kitty have?

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright, just letting you all know, I'm going to be taking Peanuts to the vet tomorrow. I wonder if it IS a physical problem--I've realized that every time I pick her up or toutch her tummy, that's when she gets upset.
I hope my kitty's ok.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad you're taking your cat to the Vet.

Sounds like your Vet was pretty passive/easy-going when you took kitty in after spraying with the flea spray. I take it he didn't suggest/do bloodwork, to see if the absorption of these chemicals could in any way have impacted the liver or kidneys? If you think your cat doesn't like to have tummy touched, I'd say bloodwork is something to ask about.

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I called the vet and had a long chat with the office. I told them what was going on with the weird behavior and all and they said that as long as Peanuts is still eating/pooping fine (which she is) then they don't think it's intestinal. They pretty much told me to keep an eye on her and see if the behavior gets worse, and to separate Peanuts and Peekaboo for now. They said that maybe there's a male cat that's been bothering Peanuts or something? So...for now, not doing anything 'cept trying to find a cheap spaying clinic.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My only suggestion is to find a vet that actually cares what happens to your cat. When you mention touching her belly area, it makes me wonder if your cat is not suffering from pyomenta (sp?) which is common with unspayed cats. If that is the case, they your cat is seriously ill and you need to have it taken care of immediately.

Your vet sounds like he's not particularly concerned whether your cat is sick or not. I'd be looking for a new vet.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcrazyperson

So...for now, not doing anything 'cept trying to find a cheap spaying clinic.
check this site: spayusa. you can put in your zip to see if there's anything nearby.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Ok, so I called the vet and had a long chat with the office.
Did you talk to the vet staff or the veterinarian? Vet staff try to help, but this is not good practice. It's difficult to make that judgment over the phone without examining.

Could be a mass/tumor, could be female reproductive organs, could be a problem from the chemicals, etc. Just because a cat can pee and poop doesn't mean they are ok.

I hope you can get some help for your baby. I know how hard it must be for you and am wishing you the best. You are doing the best you can.

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

Did you talk to the vet staff or the veterinarian? Vet staff try to help, but this is not good practice. It's difficult to make that judgment over the phone without examining.

Could be a mass/tumor, could be female reproductive organs, could be a problem from the chemicals, etc. Just because a cat can pee and poop doesn't mean they are ok.

I hope you can get some help for your baby. I know how hard it must be for you and am wishing you the best. You are doing the best you can.
Thanks for the encouragement

If she's not back to normal soon, I'm eather going to force myself upon the vet or find a new one.

Originally Posted by laureen227

check this site: spayusa. you can put in your zip to see if there's anything nearby.
Thanks! I found SPOT (stop pet overpopulation today). They're going to have a $10 spany clinic At the beginning of March. I can either wait for that (which I don't want to) OR go to this place that'll do it for $40 bucks a cat (I'll probably do this).

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think I'd at least call another vet and get a second opinion. I'd insist that someone examined my cat. I realize this is challenging without a car and driver's license.

One thing you can do for free and from home is to Google the name of the flea spray you used and the word complaints. Maybe someone else had a similar problem and blogged about it, etc. That could give you some valuable information to take to your vet.

Another thought I had is that Peekaboo has reached sexual maturity at 9 months. The problem may simply be that there are two intact females competing for space. Territory is a HUGE issue for cats (that's why they are so challenged by moving). It's a good mommy cat's job to protect her territory and possible offspring from competitors. Because you've had to wait so long to have Peanut spayed she may never change her behavior. If that's the case you might need to move Peekaboo in with your boy.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm sorry, I really have tried, but I'm a sophmore in HS and I can't drive yet...
Do you have any friends that can drive? Could they drive you to the vet?

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our cat got very distant at first after we gave him hartz, then eventually he started drooling, walking like he was drunk, etc. Luckily he is back to normal now, he is a healthy nine year old kitty! (sorry it took so long for me to respond, I've been very busy the last couple days) And good luck with the spaying, and the kitty!

Manda

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, so...
I took Peanuts to the vet. He asked me a whole bucket of questions. Everything's right with her physically (temperature, her tummy, etc.) so, yeah, he was wondering if there's something wrong with her mentally. He didn't want to give her tranquilizer because he didn't want to just cover up the problem. He's trying her on medicine that cats who have epilepsy (sorry...don't know if I spelled that right) saying that when cats have this problem they get really bi-polar and aggresive.
She's had a couple of the doses. She's still being not nice to the kitten. She's being a little less aggresive to me and my family, but motly the medicine just makes her sleepy and run into things while I try not to laugh...
My poor kitty

The vet also recommended getting her spayed and de-clawed (don't want to get her de-clawed!) I've been talking with my mom, who's getting tired of Peanuts' behavior, so I think I've got her on the same side as me (in favor of getting her spayed!) It's a little sad that this is what it took to get the ball moving...
And again, thank you all for your responses!!