How do I clean set-in throw up? (EW)

sparkleamato

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is not related to my kitties, it was actually my sister's dog who threw up. But, I figured someone on here may have had to deal with the same thing.

He threw up on my couch probably in the morning. When my sister came home for lunch, she found it. She said it looked like it had set in a little. She cleaned it then and there. Then, when she came home at the end of the day, she cleaned it more cause she said it still smelled. I came home shortly after, and totally smell the puke. It is now 8:30 PM, 4 hours after her second cleaning and the puke smell is ever present!

She used this pet product that says its an "odor and stain remover". Surely, it did not do the trick. I'm not sure if its a lost cause, because the fabric is not removable, so I don't have access to the insides of the couch. Please, someone. . help. I just got my christmas tree, and its supposed to smell like PINE not PUKE!!

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
An enzyme cleaner may help. Nature's Miracle can be found in most places. There are different brands that may work better. Just look for an enzyme cleaner.

Maybe someone will have a better tip to pass along.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

An enzyme cleaner may help. Nature's Miracle can be found in most places. There are different brands that may work better. Just look for an enzyme cleaner.

Maybe someone will have a better tip to pass along.
That's what I use, but I pour it on then scrub it with a brush. You might have to apply a couple of times to remove it all.

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have found that Resolve for pets works very well for puke clean-up. We have used it many times and it is not very expensive. Hope this helps!

Manda

meg19822

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a big fan of the Woolite oxy deep pod cleaner. You squeeze the pod and deposit solution on the stain. The pod has special bristles to scrub the stain. My cat, Tig, is a barfer
Wonderful, I know. I haven't come across anything that cleans as well as this thing, and believe me, I've tried a lot of products. If anyone has carpets and a barfer, you need this.

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The problem is not the vomit on the fabric surface, but the liquid vomit and its odors that have seeped down below the fabric into the cushion "padding/stuffing" of the couch. It's this smell that will be more difficult to get at and clean. You can clean the surface all you want but you still need get further down. First, I would try some ammonia-water solution (more the ammonia the better in the mix). I'd try it on a part the fabric on the couch that doesn't show too much to see if it will do any damage. If it works then I'd saturate, and even soak-in thoroughly, the ammonia water in the affected area. The ammonia has to go down deep to where the vomit seeped down to to kill the smelly bacteria. Since ammonia is pungent by itself, try not to get too many whiffs of the stuff while applying it. It'll make you head start to swim. Let the concoction dry and see/smell what happens. If you still have the vomit smell you may want to hit it again with a stronger application of the ammonia with less water the second time around. If that doesn't work then you may want to consider splitting the seam of the sofa cushion so you can peal the fabric back to clean the stain in the cushion. If you do that you may want to hand wash the exposed cushion yourself. I wouldn't put it in the washing machine. If you don't want to do that, make your sister get you a new couch!

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
By the way, ammonia water will clean and sanitize just about every surface. We been using it on carpet spots for years. It cleans and disinfects very well.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Traveler5

By the way, ammonia water will clean and sanitize just about every surface. We been using it on carpet spots for years. It cleans and disinfects very well.
Please DO NOT use ammonia near your cat. Ammonia in studies has shown to cause debilitating Chronic Respiratory Dysfunction in cats.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Traveler5

The problem is not the vomit on the fabric surface, but the liquid vomit and its odors that have seeped down below the fabric into the cushion "padding/stuffing" of the couch. It's this smell that will be more difficult to get at and clean. You can clean the surface all you want but you still need get further down.
That's why when you use products like Nature's Miracle, simply spraying the surface is not enough. You need to saturate into the cushions. Remove the spray nozzle and pour it on.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always use a mix of vinegar, water, and dish soap for vomit. It seems to get it clean and I never have a problem with odor. I spray it on and let it sit for a minute or two, and then scrub it down and let it dry. The vinegar smell will go away when it dries.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I always use a mix of vinegar, water, and dish soap for vomit. It seems to get it clean and I never have a problem with odor. I spray it on and let it sit for a minute or two, and then scrub it down and let it dry. The vinegar smell will go away when it dries.
Thats what I use, too and it disinfects and is safe for the cats. I actualy use if for a lot of things around my house.

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Please DO NOT use ammonia near your cat. Ammonia in studies has shown to cause debilitating Chronic Respiratory Dysfunction in cats.
That's a good point. Just don't let the cat near the couch (put him in another room for awhile) until the fumes have subsided. You may need to open a window for awhile to freshen up the air. But I doubt it will kill or sicken the cat if the room is aired out well.

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

That's why when you use products like Nature's Miracle, simply spraying the surface is not enough. You need to saturate into the cushions. Remove the spray nozzle and pour it on.
Sounds like that would work, too. You just have to poor it in to cover it all down in the cushion.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may have to use some sort of extraction cleaner (machine) like the professionals use and find out what kind of enzymatic solution you can put in it. As Trav5 pointed out, it has soaked into the cushion, whatever it is made of - foam rubber or synthetic foam of some sort, most likely, wrapped in a batten... that's how my sofa is made..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparkleamato

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your suggestions!! We had our friend bring over her steam cleaner, and so far- I think it has worked. I have yet to muster up the courage to put my nose right on the couch and take a big whiff. . I have a real sensitive nose, and I'm afraid I would vomit myself if the smell is still there! lol. . I think I may try the vinegar idea. Sounds like its up my alley. As close to natural as I can be.

And. . making my sister buy me a new couch? LMAO. . you don't know my sis

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Thats what I use, too and it disinfects and is safe for the cats. I actualy use if for a lot of things around my house.
I use it for most everything in our house also. Especially cleaning toilets that little boys use. It gets rid of the urine smell when I soak the hinges and leave it to dry.

My husband calls me the crazy vinegar lady, and says I am with vinegar the same as the guy from My Big Fat Greek Wedding is with Windex. LMAO

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I use it for most everything in our house also. Especially cleaning toilets that little boys use. It gets rid of the urine smell when I soak the hinges and leave it to dry.

My husband calls me the crazy vinegar lady, and says I am with vinegar the same as the guy from My Big Fat Greek Wedding is with Windex. LMAO
Thats me, too. I was just talking to one of the members the other day on the phone about taking care of things around the house and we were laughing about my vinegar uses.

I also take bragg's organic apple cider vinegar with the Mother in it, so do my animals.