Some of my other pets (reptiles, etc)

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aside from my new kitty I have a variety of other animals, mainly reptiles:

1 dog, Brandy: she is a heinz 57 mix, 9yrs old, and sadly has a tumor on her nose that is inoperable. She is doing well though. The tumor for now is just affecting her looks for the most part. (pic is prior to the tumor)

Now onto the reptiles

1 leopard gecko: used to have a breeding colony, but stopped breeding and rehomed the females.

2 bearded dragons: Meka and Kiyomi, both females. I bred them one season and found out alot about myself, the breeding market, etc. and decided to not breed them again.

Meka is the one on the right, the yellow one. I resized the pics fairly small because there will be alot of them.

Meka by herself

Fish:
I have 2 large aquariums. 110gallons and 90gallons. I have a weird mix of fish in there... polypterus, cichlids, synos, assorted cats and loaches. I don't have any recent pics, but here's a couple of my favorite fish.

Snakes:

1 California Kingsnake: Olivia

1 Mexican Black Kingsnake: Ouef

2 Colombian Boa's: Big Boy (normal)

in 2004 with my one daughter

in 2007 with BOTH my daughters

Pinkasaurus (Female pastel) hard to tell in the pic, but she is as big, slightly bigger than Big Boy, and younger. She still has some growin' to do.

1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Promise)

Me and Promise, 2yrs ago.

35-40 Cornsnakes I'm not going to post individual pics, but here's a few to show the variety in coloration. These guys are the ones I breed.

Edit to add: I can't believe I forgot my ball pythons. I have two normals, a male and female.

Thanks for looking.

jscole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
for Brandy, she's a beautiful girl

wow you have alot of snakes lol... I'm terrified of snakes so I could never get near one lol but they really are beautiful

do you have any pics of the baby snakes hatched? or is that what the pic of what looks like 30 snakes is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jscole

for Brandy, she's a beautiful girl

wow you have alot of snakes lol... I'm terrified of snakes so I could never get near one lol but they really are beautiful

do you have any pics of the baby snakes hatched? or is that what the pic of what looks like 30 snakes is?
Thank you.

Yes, that pic with the bunch of little worms all together is a group of cornsnakes that had hatched a week previous.

Here's a couple of hatching pics:

some stripeys that hatched

and the same snake above, shown below in my hand

catfreek777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow! Thats quite a snake collection, even though snakes aren't really my thing

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww.... you would LOVE my mom's house
- she lives in a private natural reserve in Brazil, Untouched Rain Forest - lots of creatures around her house... I am not afraid of sneaks, but I don't get that close to them either! Those boas (we call the Jiboias) are frequent visitors... Mom never had them as pets, she just puts them outside; they are a very important part of the ecosystem... Anyway: Do they get attached to people, as pets? Boas? Other sneaks? The dragons? I guess: Do reptiles in general get attached at all to their human companions? Just curious - thanks!

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow everyone is gorgeous!! I love snakes! I have a Okeetee and a Creamsicle cornsnake as well as a normal Ball python that my ex and I "share". I love your Rainbow boa, I have always wanted one. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous is all I can say!!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Awwwww.... you would LOVE my mom's house
- she lives in a private natural reserve in Brazil, Untouched Rain Forest - lots of creatures around her house... I am not afraid of sneaks, but I don't get that close to them either! Those boas (we call the Jiboias) are frequent visitors... Mom never had them as pets, she just puts them outside; they are a very important part of the ecosystem... Anyway: Do they get attached to people, as pets? Boas? Other sneaks? The dragons? I guess: Do reptiles in general get attached at all to their human companions? Just curious - thanks!
Wow. Where your mom lives must be absolutely gorgeous. I would love to be able to see my animals in their natural habitat...I wouldn't need to have them as pets if I could see them out my front window. I don't know though, I think I would be a little terrified to have a 6-7ft boa sneak into my house. At least I know where mine are at all times

The answer to your question is a difficult one: Herptologists and other reptile keepers will argue, saying snakes show no behavioural difference towards their keepers or some people say they do show emotion towards them. This is what I believe through my experiences:

They do not show emotion persay. But I do have a couple snakes that 'like' to cozy up to me. (real reason they do it is for the warmth) I did have one snake that did NOT like females at all. She would try to bite me any chance she got. I sold her to a younger lad and warned him she was bitey, he NEVER had a prob with her. The male owner who I bought her from, never had a prob with her. But boy did she hate me

I do believe my reptiles show a preference, not emotion, but preference to different people, etc. Some of them want to come out as soon as I go to the snake room, others hide off in their corners wanting to be left alone.

I guess you could say, no, most reptiles do not get attached to their owners..they are incapable of that level of feeling. But they do show their preferences to different people/different situations/etc.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in awe! I don't know where to begin. I don't keep herps anymore but if I ever convince DH to let me again I'll start with Beardies. Yours are beautiful! All of them. I love your pastel Colombian and that pic of the hatched clutches... some people nightmare is my dream. They are so cute!

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
GORGEOUS SNAKES!
I loved seeing all of your pictures...but the snake ones are my favorites.I am actually hoping to adopt my first corn in the next few days.I have been reading about them,handling them (my old friends used to be corn breeders...sadly they moved away) and admiring pictures for years now.I am FINALLY ready!

I used to have leopard geckos...a normal and a blizzard,but had to rehome them (after having them for several yrs) due to a live food shortage in my area.I loved those li'l guys and miss them,but probably won't get anymore leos.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

GORGEOUS SNAKES!
I loved seeing all of your pictures...but the snake ones are my favorites.I am actually hoping to adopt my first corn in the next few days.I have been reading about them,handling them (my old friends used to be corn breeders...sadly they moved away) and admiring pictures for years now.I am FINALLY ready!
Congrats
I'm glad to hear of people getting into corns who have done their research. So many don't, and someone suffers for it. (I will admit, my very first corn died because of a mistake on my part)

Are you getting one from a breeder? Do you know what kind you are getting? I know of at least one breeder out your way if you don't know any. I can also pm you some reptile forums that are awesome if you would like?

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
BEAUTIFUL snakes!!! OMG I am so jealous. Right now I have 4 snakes. I would love to have more, but we just don't have the space. I love those photos of the little pippies!!
Thanks for sharing.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely beautiful snakes.
My son has a ball python and she is our first snake. They are amazing animals.

We also have 2 Water Dragons that keep us fairly busy. Both females.

I truly enjoyed your pictures.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Congrats
I'm glad to hear of people getting into corns who have done their research. So many don't, and someone suffers for it. (I will admit, my very first corn died because of a mistake on my part)

Are you getting one from a breeder? Do you know what kind you are getting? I know of at least one breeder out your way if you don't know any. I can also pm you some reptile forums that are awesome if you would like?
Thanks.
Yes,please PM the breeder out here.There was one woman,Camille...however she moved away.I was going to get a corn from her,as we were friends and I seen and handled her snakes many times.But she is not here anymore.Also PM me some reptile forums...if you don't mind.I used to be a part of two,when I had my leos,but cannot remember the forum names or my username.

The snake I was supposed to adopt,looks like I am not getting her now.
I had my hopes up too! I have been researching for yrs and really feel ready for one now.I will have to look elsewhere.It wasn't a breeder,just someone who had to get rid of their snake due to moving.Oh well.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wow! you have quite a collection, i too love snakes and reptiles. i had a ball python for years until he died
right now its just my 3 cats and a box turtle, id love to get another snake but my boyfriend is petrified of them, so im trying for an iguana now

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cats4sky

wow! you have quite a collection, i too love snakes and reptiles. i had a ball python for years until he died
right now its just my 3 cats and a box turtle, id love to get another snake but my boyfriend is petrified of them, so im trying for an iguana now
I adopted an iguana a few years back. She was a sweetie, but became eggbound on me and she had the equivalent to a hysterectomy. After that she was good. Untill I started working.
I worked midnights, so I had no time with her...which led to aggression problems. She bit me a couple times, both required stiches :eek: and I can't count how many welts I had from her tail.

I had to put her up for adoption because I couldn't take care of her...not with working midnights, and sleeping during the day. I'm picky, and it took a few months before her story had a very happy ending. The people I had adopted her from, kept in contact and mentioned they had lost their pet iggy to a brain anyrism(sp) and would happily take my iggy back
I was sooo happy.

Please, please, do your research before getting one (I'm not saying you haven't). They are alot of work, and can have aggression issues. They also can be quite rewarding too, if you have the time to devote to them. Housing is also a big issue. I converted a closet into her home
So she had plenty of room... her body was 2.5 feet, tail was a solid 3-3.5feet. It's alot of lizard to accomodate.

Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

Thanks.
Yes,please PM the breeder out here.There was one woman,Camille...however she moved away.I was going to get a corn from her,as we were friends and I seen and handled her snakes many times.But she is not here anymore.Also PM me some reptile forums...if you don't mind.I used to be a part of two,when I had my leos,but cannot remember the forum names or my username.

The snake I was supposed to adopt,looks like I am not getting her now.
I had my hopes up too! I have been researching for yrs and really feel ready for one now.I will have to look elsewhere.It wasn't a breeder,just someone who had to get rid of their snake due to moving.Oh well.
Ah, I didn't know she moved
That's who I was going to suggest. I know there is more, just aside from her I don't know names. I'll pm some sites, and I'm sure you will find someone in your area.

Sorry to hear you won't be getting your snake
That is disappointing...but look at it this way: it wasn't meant to be. You will find the right snake for you

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I adopted an iguana a few years back. She was a sweetie, but became eggbound on me and she had the equivalent to a hysterectomy. After that she was good. Untill I started working.
I worked midnights, so I had no time with her...which led to aggression problems. She bit me a couple times, both required stiches :eek: and I can't count how many welts I had from her tail.

I had to put her up for adoption because I couldn't take care of her...not with working midnights, and sleeping during the day. I'm picky, and it took a few months before her story had a very happy ending. The people I had adopted her from, kept in contact and mentioned they had lost their pet iggy to a brain anyrism(sp) and would happily take my iggy back
I was sooo happy.

Please, please, do your research before getting one (I'm not saying you haven't). They are alot of work, and can have aggression issues. They also can be quite rewarding too, if you have the time to devote to them. Housing is also a big issue. I converted a closet into her home
So she had plenty of room... her body was 2.5 feet, tail was a solid 3-3.5feet. It's alot of lizard to accomodate.
I had the most amazing iggy several years ago. My mom was a realtor and one of the sellers had a HUGE iggy that they couldn't keep. It was his college sons and he was moving into a condo I think. So, my mom called me. He was free and had a great home made enclosure large enough for me to walk into if I bent over. I was a little concerned because he'd only been fed romaine lettuce for years and had little to no human contact. They trimmed his nails through the wire mesh when he climbed it.
Poor things was SO lonely. Boy was I surprised when I walked into his enclosure and he actually closed his eyes and leaned into my touch. He was a HUGE snuggle bug even after those years of what I would call neglect. One we had him he had a better diet than I did with lots of fresh greens and veggies. Boy, I sure miss him... he didn't have a single aggressive bone in his body which is very uncommon for iggys.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Ah, I didn't know she moved
That's who I was going to suggest. I know there is more, just aside from her I don't know names. I'll pm some sites, and I'm sure you will find someone in your area.

Sorry to hear you won't be getting your snake
That is disappointing...but look at it this way: it wasn't meant to be. You will find the right snake for you
Yeah.She lives in New Brunswick now.
When she was here,I always visited her and got to see her snakes and other critters and she suprised me one day with a beautiful African giant millipede (I been wanting one forever,but couldn't find one!) - thats another story tho.She was great.But she moved back to her home province.

Yeah,your right.I have waited so long,but I know when the time is right I will find the perfect snake.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome collection!!! I can't believe how many eggs corn snakes lay!!! I'm used to seeing ball python clutches, though none of my own yet. Thus far I have 4 snakes and 3 more on the way, but it's too cold to have them mailed right now. I've got three normals and a pastel, and I'm getting a spider by next fall.

That rainbow boa is fantastic! I've always wondered what they looked like!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Awesome collection!!! I can't believe how many eggs corn snakes lay!!! I'm used to seeing ball python clutches, though none of my own yet. Thus far I have 4 snakes and 3 more on the way, but it's too cold to have them mailed right now. I've got three normals and a pastel, and I'm getting a spider by next fall.

That rainbow boa is fantastic! I've always wondered what they looked like!
I've never had bp eggs, but from what I've seen, their size is like that of 6 corn eggs put together :eek:

I have a few more corns coming in January, once the embargo is lifted from Air Canada.... In Canada, the only legal shipping way for reptiles is by air cargo. It's expensive, but....no other choice really.

Spider balls are pretty cool. I'm not much of a ball person myself, but there's some that are gorgeous.

What are your 3 new ones that are coming? Balls?