Should I worry now?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've spent the last couple hours reading about cat colds and asthma, and I'm still uncertain.

I just got my kitty today. When I pick him up I can hear him wheezing... no coughing/sneezing/mucous/drippy nose.....just really raspy breath.

He's 4mos old, has not eaten (his previous owner did not feed him this morning so that he didn't throw up on the car ride), I haven't seen him drink and he has not gone to the bathroom.

Aside from the wheezing, he seems to be ok healthwise, maybe underweight though...but eyes look good, a quick glance at his ears looked fine.

I do have a vet appt. scheduled for Thurs.

All I'm really asking is should I try to get him in tomorrow, or is Thurs. ok?
Is it possible he's wheezing because he is scared?

Thanks, Chris

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be alot of things.
I never seen a cat wheeze from being scared.
I do have a cat with asthma and can help you if its that.
He could have a cold or something also.
Do not panic.
See what the vet says.

I would try to get him in tomorrow just to make sure he is ok.

simkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try to get him in sooner. From your description, I would honestly be worried about pneumonia over asthma. A day delay in treating a respiratory infection can be serious.

Good luck!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

It can be alot of things.
I never seen a cat wheeze from being scared.

I've seen plenty of scared cats in my time, but not one of them ever wheezed out of fright. I would get him to the vet as soon as you can, just to be on the safe side.

I wouldn't worry too much just yet about him not eating or using the litterbox. He's in a new environment, and it will take time for him to adjust.
Do you have a spare room where you can set up food, water, & a litterbox, where he can be left to roam & adjust on his own?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks. I will see if I can get him in tomorrow morning. If not I will try the shower idea I've seen mentioned. I have emailed his previous owner to see if she ever noticed him wheezing.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I wouldn't worry too much just yet about him not eating or using the litterbox. He's in a new environment, and it will take time for him to adjust.
Do you have a spare room where you can set up food, water, & a litterbox, where he can be left to roam & adjust on his own?
Thx. I have him in my bedroom, as its fairly quiet. I'm only in there to sleep really. I have a box with a blankie that came from his owner, some food and water, and the litter box is in the ensuite bathroom. It's the best option in my house for now....all the other rooms need some kitty proofing
(plants, n' reptiles)

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the meantime, you can boil some chicken, with no seasonings and see if he can tolerate something bland like that.
I hope he feels better really soon.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told he was a ragdoll. Here's a pic of him.

I did not notice asthma listed on any of the sites I looked at to research his breed.

My vet is pretty good, I have never dealt with him for a cat, but I've dealt with him for my dog and my reptiles.

Is there something I should be asking him? Aside from the obvious of why is he wheezing.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ragdolls are not prone to asthma but he could have that.
He could have something else so its really hard to say.
Do you know if he had a uri before he got him.
Sometimes they can go in the lungs.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ragdolls are not prone to asthma but he could have that.
He could have something else so its really hard to say.
Do you know if he had a uri before he got him.
Sometimes they can go in the lungs.
No idea. The lady had said he was healthy, and no probs. She seemed like a nice enough lady although I don't know why she didn't say anything about the wheezing. It's hard not to hear it.

I do not believe he has been to the vets at all.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
but then she didn't mention the missing fur on his tail either
That's a whole different post anyways as I don't know what that is either and want to get a pic before asking about it.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard back from her tonight. To simplify, she's not in good health and has not been able to take good care of the cats. She said: "I feed them and clean the litter and that is all." So it is highly possible that she did not notice the wheezing.

She did say if there was problems with him, she would take him back. Which I guess is good that she's willing to do so, but....if she couldn't take care of them before, how would she be able to take care of him now?

She did say he has never been to the vet at all, and him and his dad always fought, and his mama would fight with him when he would try to suckle. Which would account for the missing fur on his tail, I hope it grows back.

Anyways, now that I've done alot of thinking, I'm going to post in a different forum instead of sidetracking from his wheezing here.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I was told he was a ragdoll. Here's a pic of him.
He's just adorable!
You wouldn't want to consider giving him to me, would you?

Like I need more cats!

Seriously, if the previous owner is not in the best of health, she probably didn't even notice his wheezing. It's a good thing you're taking him in to see the vet, b/c he probably needs a thorough exam.

If the momma & daddy cat were fighting with him, it could account for the missing fur. But it could be due to something else, also. I'd have the vet check him for that, too.

I hope the little guy will be alright!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I will reply there also.
Is she a breeder?
No. She just has the two as far as I know. She did mention she had hoped to start breeding to sell untill she fell ill.

It is possible she didn't noice his wheezing, doubtful, but possible.

Let's just hope its a simple cold, and nothing serious. I will update after I see the vet. Hopefully its tomorrow, but if not, my appt. is Thurs. early afternoon.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I couldn't change the vet appt. so he will be going in tomorrow in the early afternoon.

I've been paying more attention to his wheezing, he doesn't do it when he's sleeping and he doesn't do it when he's purring. Its when he is smelling something.... I think. When I pick him up and bring him to my body, he will wheeze.....if he investigates something, he wheezes.

I did look really hard last night, no nose drippings, and his eyes look clear.

He did eat a little this morning
some dry food. I put some canned food up for him as well, and left the room.

He hasn't gone pee or anything yet that I know of (nothing in the box, and I don't see anything or smell anything around my room). I don't know if I should be concerned about that or not. His previous owner said she did not feed him yesterday, so he's only eaten a little bit.

We will see tomorrow what the vet says. Hopefully the issues I've seen are something simple.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His appetite will pick up more when he realizes he's in a safe environment, and he begins to relax more. He probably doesn't need to go potty yet, b/c he hasn't been eating much.

Good luck at the vet's tomorrow!