What do you all think about claw removal?

androdz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mister Roper is tearing up my loveseat (you don't even want to know what he has done to my begonias
). I am wondering if will hurt him if I have his claws removed.
We are also going through some tough times down here, is there a home claw removal kit that anyone has tried?
Please let me know your thoughts

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're going to get a million and 2 responses to this. I believe it's the official position of this site that declawing is a big no no, and if it isn't official, it is the majority opinion of the members here.

Do a forum search and you'll find a lot of useful information about the horrors of declawing and alternatives you can try.

Why cats should not be declawed - http://www.thecatsite.com/Care/216/W...-Declawed.html

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You won't find a kit. "Declawing" is a misnomer. The procedure actually amputates the cats paws at the knuckle. It is illegal in a number of countries across the world for a good reason. You will always find people who claim it was the best thing they did for themselves (note I didn't say the cat). But you will find more horror stories about problems they had with their cats post declaw.

For a price cheaper than a declaw, you can get a good cat scratch post and spend some time training them to use it. There is also a product called softpaws that cover their nails. There are too many alternatives to declawing that should be pursued.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Declawing is major surgery that even if done by a vet can permanently maim a cat. It is not something you can do yourself.

Please read the Declawing Resources sticky thread at the top of the Care & Grooming threads.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you're not a spammer, either your english is bad (and this was mistyped) or you didn't phrase your question correctly.. I hope so, as declawing is major surgery only to be attempted by a vet...otherwise it would be animal cruelty and punishable by law.

Were you really asking if you could CLIP or TRIM your cats claws yourself? This can be easily done using a good pair of pet nail trimmers (I like the scissor type not the guillotine type). Just get someone to hold the cat and trim the nails at least 1-2 times a week... Do not cut the "quick" the red/pink part, just the clear part of the nail.

A scratching post is another good choice. Give the cat something he CAN scratch and praise him when he scratches it, not your furniture.

Sticky tape and foul smelling sprays can be used to deter the cat from scratching where you don't want him to.

Art

carla1183

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In case you're genuinely asking because you're worried about your furniture, I'll offer some non-declaw related advice (please don't declaw your baby!)

Get some kind of scratching post for each room of your house where your kitty sleeps or where you've seen him scratching furniture (IE, next to your couch). Any time you see him start to scratch furniture, walk over to him, take his paws and say firmly "NO." Then take him to the scratcher and scratch his paws on the post and encourage him to scratch that. When you catch him scratching the post on his own, feed him a treat or give him encouragement.

Worked for us! We put one scratcher in the LR and one in their bedroom, and the only furntirue they scratched was in our bedroom where we didn't put one! Once we put one in there, they left the furniture alone. Cats are pretty smart!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

androdz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No offense ya'll, I did not know how severe the proceedure was

I am going the scratching post rout and will see where things go from there.
I clip my dogs nails all the time and though removal would be fairly simple. Thanks for the insite

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once you get them used to it, its easy to clip most cats' claws too. That might help you out as well, in addition to a scratching post!

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Androdz

No offense ya'll, I did not know how severe the proceedure was

I am going the scratching post rout and will see where things go from there.
I clip my dogs nails all the time and though removal would be fairly simple. Thanks for the insite
Phew! One more cat owner who has seen the light!
As you already clip your dog's nails, you should easily be able to learn how to clip your cat's nails as well. It's the same concept, and I think it's easier to see how far down to go on cats as well. This will help as you continue to train your cat to use the scratching post, and it saves your skin, too!

Just be sure when shopping for a cat post to get one that is tall enough. The little 12 inch ones they sell at many stores are usually not tall enough for a cat to really stretch out on as they like to do. DH and I got a very nice cat tree on ebay for less than half the price of the cat trees they sell at PetSmart/PetCo, and it is big enough that they will be able to enjoy it their whole lives!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been known to make my own scratching posts.We used to burn wood and always had a nice supply of nice "barky" pieces.I'd cut a base for it out of lumber or a plywood scrap and nail it to one end of the log,turn it right side up and there you go.You can also use the same principal and get a carpet remnant,wrap it around the log piece and either staple or nail it to the log.I had one girl years ago...Amanda Sue...and she would have all the bark stripped off a log in less than a year.I turned it for her when the bark was gone from one side.It was her favorite thing!

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Having previously worked in a vet clinic right beside the vet performing cat declaws before...and then hearing the painful, heartbreaking mews of the "amputated" cats as they wake up from the anesthesia and attempt to stand up on their bandaged paws...I can say I would never, never, ever put any cat under my care through that procedure. Ever.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gosh, I am glad this has been sorted. I was banging the keys in response to the 'home kit' question as well as the de-claw question. Thankfully I read the last thread and saw that hopefully the owner has seen the light, few. I would also suggest that spray catnip is great to use with a new scratch tree. They love the catnip and it encourages them to use it. Although not all cats like catnip. Pleae do not mutilate your cat, it is cruelty beyond belief.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Androdz

Mister Roper is tearing up my loveseat (you don't even want to know what he has done to my begonias
). I am wondering if will hurt him if I have his claws removed.
We are also going through some tough times down here, is there a home claw removal kit that anyone has tried?
Please let me know your thoughts
They do it at the vet. it will hurt him, and could cause problems with him. There are lots of other ways to redirect his behavior that are safe and won't hurt him. Try soft paws. You can buy them at petco or petsmart