Recession Proof Cat Toys

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
An article detailing recession proof cat toys. Some include milk jug tops, boxes, and wrapping paper.

The whole sleeping on top of a shirt on the bed thing is soooo true! When I'm folding laundry on my bed my cat usually plops right down on it like she owns it.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=773&sid=1541965

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hissy gave me the idea to tie a long string on the back of your belt loop (long enough to drag on the floor) when you do your cleaning. Your cats will chase you around all day.

Any size box will do. Mine particularly love the case size boxes of diet coke.

And why rake leaves? I bring a few inside and drop them on the floor. Then I find them all over the house a little while later.

Ping pong balls in the bath tub are loads of fun. Of course you might have to buy them.

Trimming a tree? Long branches make great scratch posts.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before the fancy toys, I would get long stems of foxtail or other grass and have fun.

Oh, and a pop-up type tissue box with a ball or something inside to fish out.

One of Ari's fave toys is his tail.
Around and around and around they go...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Hissy gave me the idea to tie a long string on the back of your belt loop (long enough to drag on the floor) when you do your cleaning. Your cats will chase you around all day.
That sounds like a terrible idea!
The only thing that gets them to leave me alone when I'm cleaning is the vacuum cleaner, otherwise they're already underfoot tripping me up - I don't want to encourage them to do it more.

Aside from that, could you imagine forgetting it was tied to you and climbing up to balance on a stepladder? At least it would make for a funny story to tell your doctor.

Speaking of stepladders, my cats love ladders.
Paper sacks are always a favorite with Tomas and many cats I've had in the past.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just remembered on toy we put together from cord and an adding machine core. (Yes, it was looooooooooooong ago
) Dad threaded a strong cord through the empty core and hung it from the door frame so kittens and cats could enjoy.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As above, boxes of all shapes and sizes are great! I built a sort of kitty-condo out of boxes after we moved, complete with a "patio" and lots of peepholes.

I can't advocate strings of any kind, because my cats eat them...but I do crochet little circles out of leftover yarn, and they love those.

Wadded up junk mail!

I put a few ping-pong balls in an empty tissue box, and they enjoy sticking their paws/heads inside trying to get them out.

Sometimes I like to put a little kibble or a few treats inside an empty paper towel or toilet paper roll, then let the kitties work to fish out the food.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fuzzles

An article detailing recession proof cat toys. Some include milk jug tops, boxes, and wrapping paper.

The whole sleeping on top of a shirt on the bed thing is soooo true! When I'm folding laundry on my bed my cat usually plops right down on it like she owns it.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=773&sid=1541965
Toys that normal cats can play with that mine cant:

Milk Jug Rings - They eat them
Q-tip - They eat them
Wrapping Paper - They eat it
Boxes - They chew them & then eat some of the card board
(notice a theme?)

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Toys that normal cats can play with that mine cant:

Milk Jug Rings - They eat them
Q-tip - They eat them
Wrapping Paper - They eat it
Boxes - They chew them & then eat some of the card board
(notice a theme?)
Ditto with boxes in my house. Lucy will sit in the box and rip it apart & I find pieces of wet cardboard all over the place.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoa Cream

Sometimes I like to put a little kibble or a few treats inside an empty paper towel or toilet paper roll, then let the kitties work to fish out the food.
I do the same thing! I wondered what Harley would do one night if I put a few Greenies in a paper towel tube. She didn't take long to figure it out...she rolled it across the floor with her paw and her nose until they all fell out.

I also make dreamcatchers and things that require feathers, so I have an entire under-the-bed-sized box full of (mostly) undyed natural feathers; they make great toys if you tie a bunch together, and Harley plays with this big pheasant tailfeather I gave her like crazy.

She also likes investigating boxes. Doesn't matter how big or small they are.

And, as I found out before, all those leftover bits of wrapping paper this time of year make good paper balls.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

Ditto with boxes in my house. Lucy will sit in the box and rip it apart & I find pieces of wet cardboard all over the place.
I usually only let them have boxes for a short time before I get annoyed with the wet cardboard every where. I don't get why they like to do that? Smokey had a box for 8 or 9 years, she never chewed it, she just slept in it. (she was creamated in that box too.)

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those $2 carpet squares from Mendard's on a hardwood floor. Mine have been running and jumping on them because they slide all over. I originally bought them cause I thought they might make good scratching pads, turns out they are better toys.

My mom suggested rag rugs on hardwood floors.

Cardboard boxes and tissue paper are always a hit at our house. Making the bed is a fun game too.

Be careful with the milk rings. Lola will chew and eat them if she gets them so we use the more durable cat toy versions.