I'm not sure what to do...suggestions?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For about the past two weeks the pad of my middle finger has been numb. Just the area where the fingerprint is, not anywhere else and not any other finger. I didn't do anything that I can think of that would have caused this. A week before this started, I got absolutely chilled to the bone, but I didn't have any signs of frostbite. The only other thing I can think of is an overuse injury because my wrist and forearm on that hand hurt after a long day at work. I would think that the rest of my fingers would also be affected though...Is this silly, or should I go to the doctor?

*disclaimer* I am not seeking medical advice, just some suggestions from people.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might as well. It could be some nerve damage and if it's numb from a repetitive injury elsewhere you could at least get that checked out to make sure no worse damage is occurring.
If it is nerve damage causing the numbness in your finger, there is nothing that can be done to return sensation to your finger short of giving it time to heal own it's own. Mostly you may just get an answer to why it's numb.

I shut a finger in a car door a few years ago and damage some nerves. It took around three months for all of the feeling to come back. So healing nerves can take a while.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can't Carpel Tunnel cause numbing in your fingers? I do know people that have had it, and not all of their fingers go numb. It occurs in your wrist but can show up in fingers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...I had never even heard of white finger before. I guess I will just have to give in and make a Dr. appt

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason, it just seems really silly to pay the money just to ask him why part of one finger is numb. Maybe he will tell me that it is a sign that I should stop giving the finger to people

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your ring finger and pinky can get tingly and go numb if your Ulner nerve is swollen. But it wouldn't affect your middle finger. Just clarifying, it's NOT the ring finger?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

For some reason, it just seems really silly to pay the money just to ask him why part of one finger is numb. Maybe he will tell me that it is a sign that I should stop giving the finger to people

You sound like me! Does it interfere with your daily activities, and if so, how bad? I tend to put things like this until it affects my ability to do things. I had surgery on my thumb in May and I had complications that require a second surgery. I finally made the appointment with my doctor next week to address it. I woke up the other morning and couldn't hold a can of cat food in that hand to open it with the other.

My friend was diagnosed with carpal tunnel and she's a chef so uses her hands for everything. She finally got to a doctor when it started to affect her business. She was hoping it would go away on its own.

And remember, we're not doctors. It's all your call to see a doctor.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

For some reason, it just seems really silly to pay the money just to ask him why part of one finger is numb.
I can see what you mean. Our health service in the UK is different to your system, because we don't pay a large amount if we need to see the doctor each time

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Your ring finger and pinky can get tingly and go numb if your Ulner nerve is swollen. But it wouldn't affect your middle finger. Just clarifying, it's NOT the ring finger?
I am familiar with ulnar nerve problems because I have experienced them in the past, but it is just my tip of middle finger and not my ring finger that is affected this time.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ahh ok. I know the problem as well. both hands have numb ring and pinky fingers. been that way for a few years.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest going to the doctor.

When I was working at the MS Research Project, I learned that MS can manifest itself in the most bizarre and subtle way. Often with visual disturbances such as blurry vision, vision spots, and even numbness on a small or large part of the body.

I'm not saying that's what you have. I'm simply saying that you should go and get it checked out. Because with things like MS the sooner you get diagnosed the sooner you can get on medications to help slow the progression of it.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I made an appointment for tomorrow morning. I hope that it just amounts to nothing.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Can't Carpel Tunnel cause numbing in your fingers? I do know people that have had it, and not all of their fingers go numb. It occurs in your wrist but can show up in fingers.
when mine's giving me problems, the tips of my fingers go numb. wearing a brace during activities helps prevent it.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had carpal tunnel for several years now...finally had the surgery done on my left hand last year.It was getting to the point where all my fingers were numb and I was dropping things.I now have the feeling back and now the right hand is getting ready to need the surgery.Not all my fingers are numb yet but it won't be long.I was very happy with the fella who did my surgery...I have almost no visible scar.No reasons to look for trouble with the other hand.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you get it figured out. My fiance went to the doctor a couple years ago because a couple of his fingers were numb and the doctor said "stop doing whatever it is your doing that made your fingers numb."