tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! This morning our 92 Acura Integra hit 222,222.2 miles
In January, it'll be 2 years that we've owned it, and it had ~167,000 miles on it when we bought it. I actually pulled over on the side of the road here to take a picture

I dont know how well you can see this picture - my computer screen at work shows up dark, and I cant tell how dark it really is.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would LOVE to know how you got your car to go that long. We can usually get to about 150,000 mi, then it starts costing us a lot of money, and we just have to ditch the car. And we always buy brand new. And we do all of the necessary maintanance.

I'm thinking maybe it's the brand we buy. It's always been GM cars. Currently we have a 2000 Venture that has 105,000 mi on it. I would like it to last a couple of more years. ODD gets her permit next summer, and we'd like that to be the car that she drives. It's big, has saftey features on it, so if she does get into an accident she will hopefully not get hurt. But on the other hand, I don't want it dying on the side of the road somewhere and she's stranded. Though the only place she's probably going to be driving by herself will be school, and that's not more than 7 miles down the road.

I hate trashing the Big 3 auto makers. Esp when they're in such a bind right now. But if I could get a car that would last me 200,000 miles, that would be great!

Cheryl

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Acura is made by Honda. I was in the auto business before I changed careers, and I can tell you that outside of Toyota, Honda is the best built car around (at least it was when I was in the business). 200,000 miles is not uncommon on them at all. I've seen lots higher.

To be more specific, Acura is the luxury version of Honda. Better quality. Like Toyota is the same with lexus.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That awesome! Now I'm sure I'll be buying foreign when my Intrepid dies!

Originally Posted by Sneakymom

I'm thinking maybe it's the brand we buy. It's always been GM cars.
If the big 3 could make a car like Honda or Toyota could I'd be happy to buy one. I'm driving a '99 Dodge with 160,000+ miles on it and its been on its last leg for close to a year now. I'm looking at a Toyota Camry or maybe a Matrix if I can convince DH that hatchbacks aren't the devil.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sneakymom

I would LOVE to know how you got your car to go that long. We can usually get to about 150,000 mi, then it starts costing us a lot of money, and we just have to ditch the car. And we always buy brand new. And we do all of the necessary maintanance.

I hate trashing the Big 3 auto makers. Esp when they're in such a bind right now. But if I could get a car that would last me 200,000 miles, that would be great!
My dad had a 79 Chevy Caprice that had 350,000 on it when it got junked. It still ran, too! (Someone else junked it when we moved, before my dad could get back to NJ and pick it up). A lady at work has a 97 Ford Crown Victoria with 440,000 miles on it (same engine, just has had it's transmission replaced twice). My uncle has a Mercedes with 800,000+ on it. It makes my car and it's 222,000 feel like nothing

I guess it all really depends on how well you take care of them, too. I've seen cars with 80,000 miles on them need tons of work because no one cares about it. Sometimes there are cars that just dont want to last very long, no matter how well you take care of them. We did have to do our timing belt, because it snapped on the interstate (and luckily did not bend any valves) - we meant to do it at 200k, but kept putting it off, until it snapped at 211k on my way to my parents' house. Two people have owned it before us - one was a lady who bought it new in 92 and drove it daily, did all the scheduled maintenance, etc. The next was a guy who wanted to turn it into a drag car but couldn't bear to tear up a car kept in such good condition. We drive it pretty hard, but it gets 30-33mpg around town, and 33-35 on the highway.

I think we've gotten our $2,300 worth out of it!
We're hoping to see 300,000+ in it, as long as it doesnt start getting ragged out. Not too uncommon in Hondas and Toyotas to pull that kind of mileage. It's probably one of the other reasons the Big 3 is falling under - they cannot compete with the efficiency and life spans of some of these foreign cars (cant even say "imported" anymore, really, since they have plants here too now).

I will admit, 4 of our 6 cars are GM ... A Chevy Camaro & Monte Carlo, a Pontiac Firebird and Fiero, and then there's our two Acura Integras.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do you think we own a Toyota - great gas millage (Corolla - 38-40) and it will last over the 200,000 mark

Until the big 3 can make decent lasting cars with great gas milage, we will stick to Toyota!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so cool that you got a pic right at that mileage

I am a Subaru gal. If you go look at the used ones, they can have upwards of 100k miles and still fetch quite an asking price. They run forever and really hold their value.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's awesome that you got the picture!
I always miss the milestones!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

That's awesome that you got the picture!
I always miss the milestones!
We also got a little digital camera video of the car turning 200,000 earlier in the year.
I remember when the odometer turned back to 00000.0 on my Camaro, and I missed it
I saw it at 00000.2.

I had been watching the Acura's for like 3 miles before it turned to that mileage, then pulled into the middle lane (sort of a turn lane, could also double as a break-down lane I guess) and took the picture - wasn't gonna miss it.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I didn't think anone still drove Fieros! That's awesome.
Ours is sitting here in our yard, has never been registered yet - got it in June 2007 from Indiana (yeah, drove there from SC and back to get it
). Trying to sell it now, we really could use the money for our house or our boat.