Anyone have children in the military?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was curious if anyone here had children in the military, specifically the Marines? My 17 year old son is thinking about joining the Marines, and I'm looking to educate myself. Of course the recruiters and the web site give the good points, but I would also like to know the drawbacks. Thanks!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even have kids, let alone any in the military, but my friends kid is looking to go into the Navy. So, there's not much help I can give you but I hope that whatever you and he choose, that it's the right decision for all.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Having gone through Army basic training, I can tell you that recruits are treated like dogs by their superiors. They insult you, they ridicule you and try to tear you down in any possible way. I'm sure the Marines are even harder. Now, if he can get through basic, he should be okay. The Marines are a great unit and have undying loyalty to each other.

It takes a special person to want to join up at this time...

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

Having gone through Army basic training, I can tell you that recruits are treated like dogs by their superiors. They insult you, they ridicule you and try to tear you down in any possible way. I'm sure the Marines are even harder. Now, if he can get through basic, he should be okay. The Marines are a great unit and have undying loyalty to each other.

It takes a special person to want to join up at this time...
That's what my nephew said after his basic training at Parris Island.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother did MC basics at Parris Island in the early 80's. She has said the same things about it. The belittle you, break you down, tear you apart, mentally and physically. She enjoyed the Marine Corps., but she also served during peace time. Today is a whole different ball game, filled with uncertainties.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basic was pretty easy once you got past the initial first week and learn what your DI's expect from you. I enlisted in the National Guard when I was in high school and was required to attend something called Pre-Initial Entry Training for two weekends before going to basic and AIT. They taught us some of the basic regulations, physical training, basic first aid, marching and drill and how to break apart, clean and reassemble the M-16. Needless to say I was a bit ahead of the curve when I left for basic but you are still caught off guard when you get there.

Air assault school was pretty sweet, too.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
No kids, but my niece is a Marine. She did her basic training at Parris Island two years ago and had a blast. She said you just have to learn to play their games and you'll get along fine.

She graduated from basic as PFC (Private First Class) on merit, which is awarded to only the top 10% of all the recruits training at the same time, men and women. She also scored very high on her initial test which gave her pretty much an open ticket to choose her own career path.

She said that some of the girls had a lot harder time than she did, but everyone who makes it through has a new family for life.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had several friends in the military...some ended well, some not.

My best friends's boyfriend is serving in Iraq (Army) right now. He is pretty safe doing computer stuff I think. But, she asks him not to tell her everything because its just to hard to hear about. He joined because he had to pretty much.

If nothing else, the military does provid very well for those looking to serve their country. Im not taking any sides about this issue though

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be a good life but it's not for everyone. My biggest regret is not making it a career. I could be retired as an E-7 or E-8 next year.