after 24 years of waiting...

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
...I have a cat! She's currently sitting on my lap and giving me a look that says "why are you using both your hands to type? You should be petting me!"

We adopted her from the humane society yesterday. She's 4 years old, a bit on the pudgy side, and a big ol ball of love. After sniffing tentitively around the apartment yesterday, she was snuggling in our laps and demanding attention. I was a bit worried, since I had read that cats may hide when brought into a new home, but this girl is not shy at all.

The only down side is that she is perhaps a bit too needy and maybe has some abandonment issues. The bedroom is off limits, since I have asthma and allergies, and need one cat hair free zone. When the husband and I go into the bedroom and shut the door, she sits outside meowing. And if we don't snuggle her for 15 minutes, she's meowing at our feet. Thankfully, she let us sleep just fine, and I'm hoping once she realizes we won't abandon her and are going to give her plenty of love, she won't need to demand attention.

We don't have a name for her yet. I like Rabia (after a famous early muslim woman) and Shams (arabic for sun, and also a famous sufi), and the husband likes Habiba (loved in arabic) and Noura (light in arabic). She was called Mitze, but she doesn't answer to it, so we don't feel bad about changing her name. So far she's just kitty and sweety.

I have a free vet appointment scheduled for this weekend, so I'm going to talk with him about the amount of food we should be feeding her. They had her on Purina One at the humane society (bleck!) and I got a free bag with the adoption. I'm going to wean her onto origen I think, although I also have bags of Solid Gold and Innova to mix things up.

So, enough of me rambling, here's our kitty!

Checking out her new home:

Ah yes, I think I like it here

And finally, sulking because I'm typing rather than giving her attention, lol

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a pretty girl! She looks a lot like Pooch, except with longer arms.
Congrats on your newest addition.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww! She looks like an absolute sweetheart! So glad she's found a furever home! Here's to many happy years together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy she's not shy. I had read so much about it taking time for new kitties to adjust to new homes, but it's like she's lived here all her life.

Thankfully, she's snoozing on the couch now so I can get cooking. I normally do all the cooking for the week on Sundays, so I can just heat everything up when we get home from work during the week. But, yesterday was kitty adoption day, so the regular routine went right out the window. Today's a holiday (eid, festival at the end of hajj for muslims), so I took the day off. I figured I could kill 2 birds with one stone - celebrate the holiday and spend some time with the new kitty. And now I can do my cooking too. On todays to make list: Chicken Curry, Fish Curry, Vegetable and Lentil Curry, Spiced Potatoes and Spiced Liver. I just found a new cookbook that has recipes from some of the smaller ethnic groups/religions in india and I'm super psyched to try them out. It's a good day when I get a new kitty AND get to try new recipes

Here she is, sneaking a peak as I try to catch a picture of her napping. Now stay that way for 3 hours while I cook, lol

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
she's very cute! i love her color. she looks very happy in her new home

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless her! She has such a sweet little face

I`m glad she`s made her self at home so quick

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, what a sweet looking kitty!!! I'm so glad she's got a loving home and she's comfortable!!

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is turning into live blogging kitty's first day at home, lol. She didn't stay napping for long, so we had some lap/petting time until I had to kick her off so I could stir my curry. I set up the bed I got her near the window, since she likes sitting up against it and looking out. I was concerned that it was cold, so I was hoping she'd sit in the nice warm bed and look out. She didn't go on her own, but I set her on it and sat with her awhile. She stayed for another 3 minutes and then was back demanding attention
A little more petting, then I had to kick her off again. She's now cleaning herself in the living room.

She looks p*ssing in a lot of these pictures, but I think she's squinting from the flash. She doesn't look nearly so angry in real life

Here's my Fish Curry in the Calcutta Jewish community style, made while trying to balance kitty on my lap.

[/IMG]

Now on to Liver and Spices from the Parsis!

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want to sit on your lap, but I'm not going to hop up, even when you pat your legs and say up. I'm just going to sit here, paw at you, walk around you and rub up against your legs and then meow incessantly.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks very sweet. Welcome to the wonderful world of cats. In case you haven't noticed. Your life will never be the same (I mean that in a good way).

Since you have a list of names you like, I say try each one out on her for a while. She may like one over the others. That is how I named my cat Isaac. I had tried several names he didn't respond, I called him Isaac and he came running.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So far, she doesn't respond to much at all, ha. If we pat our knees or clap our hands, she'll come more often then not. She also responds to kitty and no.

Cabbage stir fry from Kashmir and a sleeping kitty.

Onto the next recipe, a simple chicken curry, before the kitty awakes and demands attention.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a lovely kitty you have. The name Noura has a lovely sound to it
I recognise her wide-eyed look - Tolly looked like that when he first came home. Even though he was super-lovey, he had obviously had some stress; but after a few days his eyes softened and lost that wide-eyed look.

She is gorgeous - I see she is running your life already

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful! I'm sure she'll calm down a bit after she gets settled. Bella was really needy when we first brought her home and she's better now. Still lovey, but not as velcro

She's always like that when we come back from a short vacation too...enjoy your gorgeous new friend!

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thankfully, kitty slept through the night and didn't wake us up with any meowing. I got up a bit early to spend some time with her this morning. I hope she's ok at home and not making any messes

She was only at the humane society for a week, and from what I could gather, her previous family lost their home to forclosure. She used to live with another cat and a dog, so I'm guessing she's used to more company. Hopefully she'll adjust well to us though.