my poor tree

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats have done so well not messing with the tree until about 2:30 this morning
It all came crashing down!!!
I am thinking the tree may be getting taken down soon
They broke a few ornaments as well.....

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was just to tempting and such fun looking. Shame on you for tempting those poor Innocent babies!(jk)
Glad noone was hurt and nothing of value was lost.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I anchor our tree to eye-bolts set in the wood work----seriously. I got tired of the tree being pulled over and my glass ornaments broken (yes, I actually use glass ornies). A small rope ties to the trunk and the tree is secured in 2 different directions. I've been doing that for years and the cats haven't managed to pull over since I started.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! That`s a BAD kitty!

I hope you can fix it up some how so you don`t have to get rid of it. Not having a tree sucks

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops! Seems like excitement got a bit much

I hope you don't have to take the whole thing down, trees with deccies on look so pretty!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I anchor our tree to eye-bolts set in the wood work----seriously. I got tired of the tree being pulled over and my glass ornaments broken (yes, I actually use glass ornies). A small rope ties to the trunk and the tree is secured in 2 different directions. I've been doing that for years and the cats haven't managed to pull over since I started.

We did this yesterday after Delilah proclaimed what a wonderful new toy we got her with the Christmas tree. I used two eye hooks (long enough to get throught the drywall and into the studs) and some medium guage wire.

Here is step by step guide to tethering the tree: http://www.ehow.com/how_4609628_dog-...tmas-tree.html

Mine wasn't nearly complicated as that.

Keep in mind that the glass ornaments aren't completely safe, even if your tree is secure. Belle and Delilah have already knocked a couple of my breakable ornaments off the tree by swatting them. Make sure they are on there well!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have one, I may not next year, and I don't really mind.
I already know what my two will do.

Do you know that in the 12th century in Europe they used to hang the trees from the ceiling? I think we need to bring this tradition back.

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats breaking the glass ornaments were a problem several years ago when some of them were a lot younger. I solved it by pulling the rocker/recliner out of their reach and then replacing all the low hanging ornaments with solid color plastic ones.

You do NOT want them breaking any glass ones as you can never be certain you've gotten all the slivers out of the rug and cod forbid if they manage to get a sliver in one of their feet. It seems it would be almost impossible for the vet to even find the sliver!

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I don't have one, I may not next year, and I don't really mind.
I already know what my two will do.

Do you know that in the 12th century in Europe they used to hang the trees from the ceiling? I think we need to bring this tradition back.
Last XMas I remember seeing upside down trees at Menards and another Christmas tree store. They were mounted on special stands. Strangest site I've ever seen. Took offence too. Seemed to me is was like it an insult directed at Christians from a non-believing country.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PookieBoy

Took offence too. Seemed to me is was like it an insult directed at Christians from a non-believing country.
Funny that you took offense. Hanging it upside down is actually supposed to be a sign of Christianity.
Again, it's a very very old tradition that was practiced in Central Europe. Given that back in the 12th century that the church was a very important part of peoples lives, I sort of doubt the practice would have anything to do with insulting people in the 21st century.
But again, it's funny how people can take offense at anything they don't understand or are unfamiliar with.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I set my xmas tree up last month fully expecting they would be playing in it, so all decorations are non-breakable.

Many of the decorations are under the lounge
I just pick them up once a week or so. Apparently the tree's pretty sturdy as it's only fallen over once.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitties have been good so far too...and we got shatterproof ornaments...tehehe...

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night when I was cooking, I heard Nero banging something against the wall outside the kitchen, but didn't think much of it. Then I felt something hit my foot ... a glass ornament from the tree
Apparently my in-laws had given him a specific ornament to play with, thinking it would keep him away from the rest of them, but I think he got bored with that one and started playing with the fragile ones
They tied the tree to a hook this year. I'm assuming we'll have to do that next year in our house.

The 2 cats I had years ago used to climb up the tree, and then when it was an artificial one, they'd bat off and break my mom's glass ornaments. Then one of them pooped on her white stocking one year
She was NOT happy.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

Then one of them pooped on her white stocking one year
She was NOT happy.
How did they manage that?! Sounds like one very talented cat - or did the cat have some sort of help?