DELETED PARAGRAPH: I started by describing the Christmas Cactus as the Pointsettia - two different plants! In the interest of anyone who might catch this thread and only read the early posts, I have deleted that...boo-boo. However, I still have concerns about Christmas Cactus - see my followup post #13.
The balance of this original post applies to the other popular Christmas plant/flower, the Pointsettia:
From CatFanciers' Association's site, Winter and Holiday Hazzards for Cats
"Poinsettias are generally over-rated in toxicity. If ingested, poinsettias can be irritating to the mouth and stomach, and may cause mild vomiting or nausea"
Well, perhaps "over-rated", but in terms of my own risk management strategy, I first
aim to eliminate
risk, second, to reduce it.
No Pointsettia will ever cross my doorstep!
(You could make someone else very happy with an early holiday gift!)