TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › New adoption....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New adoption....

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi all, I had mentioned that I was going to adopt a new kitty after losing my Misty of 15 years. Well I bought home Autumn yesterday and she still has not eaten anything and of course not used the litter box. I know the last time she ate was at the shelter yesterday morning. I got her home around 3pm yesterday and she won't eat. She smells it and walks away. She does the same with her dry food. I know the shelter would feed them any food from donations they got so I'm thinking she is used to different types of food.

Is this normal, I have made a little progress with Autumn. She lets me pet her and she as purred and given me lots of strong headbutts but mostly she is in hiding. By the way she is between 2 and 3 years old and a beautiful tortie. How long should I wait for her to eat before being worried more than I am right now. Thanks.
post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRussa View Post
Hi all, I had mentioned that I was going to adopt a new kitty after losing my Misty of 15 years. Well I bought home Autumn yesterday and she still has not eaten anything and of course not used the litter box. I know the last time she ate was at the shelter yesterday morning. I got her home around 3pm yesterday and she won't eat. She smells it and walks away. She does the same with her dry food. I know the shelter would feed them any food from donations they got so I'm thinking she is used to different types of food.

Is this normal, I have made a little progress with Autumn. She lets me pet her and she as purred and given me lots of strong headbutts but mostly she is in hiding. By the way she is between 2 and 3 years old and a beautiful tortie. How long should I wait for her to eat before being worried more than I am right now. Thanks.
I cannot find this post I wrote, please tell me where it is cuz I really need some answers, thank you.
post #3 of 12
It is normal for her to act that way.
She is scared and that is why she will not eat.
You need to try to get her to eat something though or she can get fatty liver disease.
Can you call the pound and ask what foods she liked the best.
They might know of something.
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mews2much View Post
It is normal for her to act that way.
She is scared and that is why she will not eat.
You need to try to get her to eat something though or she can get fatty liver disease.
Can you call the pound and ask what foods she liked the best.
They might know of something.
I had asked the shelter what foods Autumn was fed and she said they give them whatever comes in since they live on donations. Hearing this I figured she would be ok with any food since she was getting a variety. She won't even eat her treats when offered. She is using the litter box but only to urinate, nothing else is there I guess cuz she is nt eating.
post #5 of 12
Its only been a day. I wouldn't be too concerned. Even though she was fed whatever they had for donations I bet there are some she didn't eat. Try giving her a few to sample. Maybe she doesn't like fish, or turkey, or beef....some cats are picky. Keep out some dry food for her anyways so she can help herself. Some cats will only eat at night when everyone is asleep for a while till they are comfortable.
post #6 of 12
Lucky took 44 hours (yep, I counted ) to eat, drink water, and use the litter box. It almost killed me so worried I was... She is perfectly fine, and I guess this is normal when considering the stress she is going through with the new home... Make sure food and water are available where she is hiding... She is going to be fine... Good Luck!
post #7 of 12
I agree that she may try eating when it's quiet and she thinks no one is looking at her. Leave out water and dry food, maybe in a few places.

My adult adoptees also took almost a day before they used the box, etc. Maybe get some meat (chicken, for example) baby food - make sure there's no garlic or onion in it - a lot of cats go wild for that. Or Friskies - anything nice and smelly.

If she's not eating tonight, I'd call my own vet and ask for advice.
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thanks ladies, I do leave dry food out as I always did with my last furbaby. She did eat a couple of small bites of canned food earlier today but that is all. I called the shelter and they told me to give her some tuna if she doesn't eat tomorrow, she may like the smelly food. Thanks again for your advice and past experience.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRussa View Post
I cannot find this post I wrote, please tell me where it is cuz I really need some answers, thank you.

Your post was moved to "What's New Pussycat" forum.

She's only been with you a day or two so it will take her some time to get used to you. She's a little afraid right now. But the fact that she lets you touch her and purrs is a good sign. Just don't force her. She will come around in her own time. Just let her go at her own speed.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thanks, I didn't know where my post went.
post #11 of 12
Most the new cats I got were the same way when we first got them.
It will take time.
post #12 of 12
Congrats on your new kitty!! she sounds lovely

I agree with what the others have said, sometimes cats just take a little bit to get acclimated, I bet she will eat overnight when she is "alone"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › New adoption....