Is it true what they say?

crbramel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was watching this show a while back ago and on it the talk show host said something about if you talk to your cats and treat them like humans it means your lonely.

I have conversations with my cats, they don't answer me, so Im the only one talking but they like it when I talk to them. Doesn't mean im lonely does it?

Tell me what you think...

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crbramel

I was watching this show a while back ago and on it the talk show host said something about if you talk to your cats and treat them like humans it means your lonely.

I have conversations with my cats, they don't answer me, so Im the only one talking but they like it when I talk to them. Doesn't mean im lonely does it?

Tell me what you think...
I don't think you are lonely, just crazy. No, just kidding, I talk to my cats all the time. What it means is that I talk to my cats. Nothing else. If one of them ever answers me, then you'll see me back on TCS asking if I'm crazy!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I talk to my geckos and turtles, only the turtles ever show any sign of actually hearing me... So if talking to cats is bad, talking to reptiles must be worse.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I don't think you are lonely, just crazy. No, just kidding, I talk to my cats all the time. What it means is that I talk to my cats. Nothing else. If one of them ever answers me, then you'll see me back on TCS asking if I'm crazy!
I must be crazy too!
I talk to Duke more then anyone.. Just because he chirps back to me... But I will say that there are times I think he says "OUT!" cuz he wants to go outside

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whoever said that is assuming that we talk to our cats solely for our own purposes... as if the cats don't benefit from it. But of course they do!

Many of them understand some words, and all of them understand tones of voice -- so talking to our cats is a perfectly legitimate means of communication. And I think that, just as we are soothed by their mews and purrings, they are reassured by our voices, as well.

I don't talk to my cats because I'm lonely -- I've ceased to be lonely because of my cats!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I've ceased to be lonely because of my cats!

Whats the point in having animals if you don't talk to them
Two of mine answer me back when i speak to them, and i love it, so no it doesn't mean your lonely.

My cats make it a pleasure to come home to on a dark winters night

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I talk to all three of the kitties, depending on which one is around at the time. Mainly Arwen it seems as she follows me like a shadow

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've talked to every single pet I've ever had, no matter what they were! (Including all of my fish.) So no, it doesn't make you lonely. Having pets in your life makes you anything but!

I love talking to Harley, because she talks back.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wilbur has conversations with me every day (Well when he's with me). I hear him meow, and I answer him, usually saying "What are you talking about" then he'll meow more, and we go back and forth. Doesn't make a hill of beans difference to me that he doens't understand what I'm saying. The point is we're communicating and he seems to enjoy it.

Here's proof:

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always talk to the cats, and the dogs, and the horses... I even sometimes talk to the wild birds outside. I'm not lonely, just love them!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Hmmm I like talking to my cats better then I like talking to a lot of the people I know........wonder what that makes me
I agree!

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always talk to my cats. I talk to the dog, I talk to the birds. I have always talked to any animals I've ever had, and other peoples animals too!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Hmmm I like talking to my cats better then I like talking to a lot of the people I know........wonder what that makes me

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I don't talk to my cats because I'm lonely -- I've ceased to be lonely because of my cats!
I've been on my own for most of my life, and I've never been lonely b/c I've always had cats.
They're better companions than most peeps I know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crbramel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
See Bonnie Hunt doesn't know what she is talking about.. Im not lonely at all I might be if I didn't have my babies.
I agree with all of you.. Gracie knows a lot of words.. MILK, TREAT. and she also can tell by the way I say Gracie If I am upset with her If i am she runs and hides. Winnie likes me to talk to her I think she just doesn't care as long as i pet her when I am talking to her lol.. I love my babies!

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's perfectly normal. My bird, Tiki listens to me because he talks back to me. Sunny listens to me because when I speak to him he meows back at me. He has different meows for whatever he's trying to convey to me.

musicalbookworm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've always talked to my animals. They often talk back though the answers are often pretty non-specific...