evo or orijen??

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi guys,

i have 2 kitties that are now eating wellness canned and orijen kibble. i just bought the evo cat and kitten food for my ferrets and my kitties are going nuts over it. i think that it would be super convenient to get one food for both the cats and the ferrets and would be cheaper in the long run since i can get a much bigger bag.

so, what do you think? should i keep them on the orijen or should i switch to evo. they really like both of the foods.

thanks for your time,

mindy

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never used orijen, but did feed EVO for about 6 months...

I had good results, no tummy issues...other than smelly poo and ocassional stinky gas. That said, one of my cats developed UTI issues, so I had to switch to a dry that does have grains in it (lower mineral and ash levels). EVO is cheaper than orijen...

I will say that it would sometimes be inconsistent in texture...I got a bag that was normal texture, but would then get a bag (~3 months later) that was very "crumbly".

I would also suggest looking into the taste of the wild grain-free food. Not sure if it is ferret-friendly, but mine loved the sample bag I tried with them and it is very cheap compared to EVO, about $10 less a bag online.

I still feed the EVO 95% meat cans.

Art

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

I've never used orijen, but did feed EVO for about 6 months...

I had good results, no tummy issues...other than smelly poo and ocassional stinky gas. That said, one of my cats developed UTI issues, so I had to switch to a dry that does have grains in it (lower mineral and ash levels). EVO is cheaper than orijen...

I will say that it would sometimes be inconsistent in texture...I got a bag that was normal texture, but would then get a bag (~3 months later) that was very "crumbly".

I would also suggest looking into the taste of the wild grain-free food. Not sure if it is ferret-friendly, but mine loved the sample bag I tried with them and it is very cheap compared to EVO, about $10 less a bag online.

I still feed the EVO 95% meat cans.

Art
My kitties love Evo . I stopped buying it because it started to be just crumbly. My kitties won't eat the crumbs. The last bag I bought was nothing but crumbs.

minion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd say go with EVO then! And the fact that your kitties love it is a great start..Try it out for a bit and see how your cats do on it. I think EVO is an amazing quality food and if your cats like it and can handle it(I've heard of some people having issues with it because it was 'too rich'..?) then that is really awesome! I personally have always seen EVO as a bit higher quality then Orijen, but that's just me..But it truthfully is hard to say, I mean, both are two best of the best and in the end I think it really just depends on what your cats personally do best with.

Good Luck, no matter what you do! =)

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just curious, but why would you have started feeding your ferrets EVO cat and kitten and not EVO ferret formula?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for all the responses guys! i will keep an eye open for crumbly bags. i have only bought one so far and it was good. did you return the crumbly bags??

evo is $2 more here than the orijen, but that is not too bad since it is sooooooo much cheaper than ferret food.

i got evo cat and kitten because it is almost the exact same formula (either a little more fat or a little less, can't remember for sure) as the evo ferret and MUCH cheaper. the head of the ferret rescue that i volunteer for called the company and asked them. they said that there was such a high demand for good ferret food that they basically just re-packaged the cat and kitten for ferrets. so, anyone with ferrets that would like a cheaper but good option, go for evo cat and kitten!!

i will see how things go. i was just wondering how everyone who has tried evo found their kitties. i don't know if i want gas problems though