hello!

leanne__

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i'm new here, along with what i class as a kitten, oreo.
i need some help about the whole letting them out thing.
he hasn't been neutered but he's had his injections and stuff
it's come to the time where he's peeing around the house.

as i'm only 18, my mother has full control over my kitten, somehow. so this morning she's gradually been letting him out.

he's ran back in a few times and not meowed at the door to go back out, something spooked him, surely. we decided to let him go out the front way as it's a square and there are other cats, whereas the back way, he can jump over the fence and easily enough get to the main road, i know he can from the front way, but theres more for him to adventure.

so far he's met a ginger cat. they look content. but i went out to find him and he was gone, but i double checked and he's hiding in the bushes, tucked away.

i'm so worried about whats going on right now, that i'm sat with this laptop on the bottom of the stairs, with the front door wide open.

what i need to know is
if theres anything i should worry about?

i kinda wish he'd just waltz back in without a bother.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by leanne__

i'm new here, along with what i class as a kitten, oreo.
i need some help about the whole letting them out thing.
he hasn't been neutered but he's had his injections and stuff
it's come to the time where he's peeing around the house.

as i'm only 18, my mother has full control over my kitten, somehow. so this morning she's gradually been letting him out.

he's ran back in a few times and not meowed at the door to go back out, something spooked him, surely. we decided to let him go out the front way as it's a square and there are other cats, whereas the back way, he can jump over the fence and easily enough get to the main road, i know he can from the front way, but theres more for him to adventure.

so far he's met a ginger cat. they look content. but i went out to find him and he was gone, but i double checked and he's hiding in the bushes, tucked away.

i'm so worried about whats going on right now, that i'm sat with this laptop on the bottom of the stairs, with the front door wide open.

what i need to know is
if theres anything i should worry about?

i kinda wish he'd just waltz back in without a bother.
Before you let him out, how about you and your mother reading a little while in our "Crossing the Bridge" section of the forum?

And if you mean you're starting to smell him around the house, he's not peeing, he's spraying, a normal activity for unneutered male cats, marking their territory. Get him neutered, and that will almost surely quit.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TheCatSite.

Because of busy roads, dogs and many other reasons, the outside is a very dangerous place for most kitties.

Education about how to deal with spraying inside is critical.
You have come to to the right place for that.

I urge you to start a thread in TCS's Behavior forum about your kitty's spraying and please get your kitty neutered asap. Along with that, please read the sticky thread in that forum about spraying.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9563

My fingers are crossed that your kitty returns so you can fix this and have a long lived, happy companion.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not let him out.
I have seen so many cats hit by cars.
Our neighbors cat died that way years ago so did alot of my friends.
They can also get sick even with shots because there are all kinds of germs out there.
Simba my sisters cat died from going outside also.
He got in a fight and got very sick a few days after and died.
My lucy got out once and she got fia and gave it to Coco.
Lucy died.
Also a spraying male will make your house smell real bad.
It is very hard to get the smell out.
I hope your mom will understand and let you keep him inside.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and Oreo to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

I hope that Oreo comes back inside. Please do get him neutered as soon as possible - if you do it early it should stop the spraying habit that he is developing. You want to get that nipped in the bud early! Unneutered males also like to wander - they are trying to ensure that they "spread their genes" far and wide and can disappear for nights on end. Because they are territorial they can end up in some nasty fights because of that, in addition to the risks of the road. Oreo is not too used to going outside yet - it will be easy to keep him as an indoor only kitty