Is She Pregnant?

gg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if its possible my cat is pregnant, I'll tell the story first.

Well I went to bed a couple of nights ago and I heard the cat open the garage door (it's a sliding door) and I thought that she was just going out into the garage and thought nothing more of it. This was until I woke up the next morning to find a cold draught coming from the garage. The back door was also open! Someone forgot to shut it. So I go out the back looking for her frantically, by this time I had only 30 minutes to get ready and be at work. I then go out the front door and there she is. Directly across the road staring at me... with a "friend" sitting right next to her.

Now she is on heat and one would assume that they mated. Only trouble is that she is still "calling" and I was under the impression that this stopped once she either mated and or was pregnant. So does this mean she could be pregnant? or is she straight out is not pregnant?

I don't know much about cat pregnancy so I thought I would find a forum that probably did.

gg.override

klaidman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I don't know about all cats but I do know that with my cat Snow she went out of heat right after mating. She had snuck outside for a couple hours and when I found her she was in the trails behind our house with a friend. She has as of yesterday gave birth to 5 very darling kittens. 3 of which I am sad to say crossed the RB today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the fast reply. I just don't know what to think, I suppose I could just wait about 3 weeks and find out, but I'm curious now.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best thing would be to have her spayed regardless, cat's dont need to have just one litter, and both health and population wise, it is the best thing to do.

klaidman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

The best thing would be to have her spayed regardless, cat's dont need to have just one litter, and both health and population wise, it is the best thing to do.
I agree 100% she should be spayed ASAP.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, even if they did mate, a female can still call a few days more (to mate multiple times). I would take her to the vet now and get her spayed - that way you won't have to worry if she is or isn't.

Just tell the vets there is a possibility she might be pregnant and now many days its been since she was out.

gg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry guys I didn't make my point very clear. I don't particularly mind if she is pregnant but I just wanted to know. I can find suitable homes for her kittens if she is. I am a responsible pet owner and I will take care of them all until I know they are going to a good home. Thanks GoldenKitty45 will see how things are in another day or two. Thanks everybody else. I will let you know what has happened.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? If she's under a year, she could have complications and need a c-section to deliver kittens if she's pregnant. Do you honestly want to risk her health and let her have the kittens?

gg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she is 13 months old now. She is not a very big kitty though, I had already thought that there may be problems because she is a tiny cat. I will be taking her to the vet if she is pregnant, but not to get spayed. To see if the vet thinks it's safe for her to have them.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She really should be spayed regardless especially if she is small for her age, and while you might have homes, they could quite easily go to the local shelter and adopt, there are too many animals pts due to not enough space. There are also long term health benefits to being spayed, such as reduced risk of cancer, infection.

gg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay here's the story. I come on here just asking if there was a possibility that my cat could be pregnant. I will NOT have people I don't even know telling me what and what not to do with my cat! Who do you people think you are going around telling people this kind of stuff, where do you get off!! STOP IT, NOW!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are just telling you what is best for your pet. I don't understand what in the world people have against spaying and neutering...

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in cat rescue, so I pick up the pieces of the cat overpopulation up on a daily basis - maybe it isn't as bad where you live, but here we have to turn down more cats than we can take in, and it is heartbreaking knowing you were that person's last hope. And just because yours are kittens doesn't mean much sadly, we have taken in 10week olds that were dumped, and there was a spate of under 6 month olds the other month. These went to what someone thought was a good home and ended up on the streets, full of fleas and worms, and one was poorly with a high temperature.

jscole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am totally pro spay/neuter... but I do see why gg is mad... (sorry hun, I can't tell by your name if you are a man or woman
) he/she simply asked if there was a possibility that kitty might be pregnant, and you all are telling him/her what to do and pushing for spay and abortion it seems rather than answering the actual question...

So gg, yes, there is a possibility that she is pregnant... even if she is still calling for a mate that doesn't mean she isn't... I had a cat that on her first day of her heat, she got out and mated once and still was in heat for 3 more days afterward, she ended up having a litter of 4 healthy beautiful kittens, she too was about 13 or 14 months old and on the tiny side... I do also suggest, as someone else has mentioned, that you take her to the vet to make sure she is ok and healthy enough to have kittens, and to make sure that she is not too small... then make YOUR decision on what to do, whether YOU want to spay her now, or wait till after your kitty has had her kittens, and once they are no longer nursing of course lol... I do agree though that one way or the other, you should get her spayed... whether it be now or later...

now, before I get attacked, I made sure my kittens went to forever homes, I am still in contact with all of the families, 3 are actual family members, and the other is my best friend... yes I realize that they could have adopted from the shelter, but at the time I couldn't afford to spay her, and wouldn't have while she was pregnant anyway even if I could, I'm pro-life...

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I understand that gg doesn't plan to abandon kittens she wants to have them and love them find them homes, etc, etc..That's all great but I just think this whole calling for a mate for an indoors cat is very frustrating for her and probably frustrating for the people around her as well. I can't stand watching a cat in heat in a house because it's just sad the frustration they go through...Anyway a lot of times I dont understand why people even bother putting male kittens through getting neutered, it is surgery and stress no matter how beneficial it is, and for a male the frustration isn't as big to find a mate...So an indoors cat that NEVER goes out- I don't see the point of it being neutered, except for the spraying but that still depends on the cat..spayed is different maybe I'm wrong but I don't see this kind of frustration in male cats..

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
gg.override,

I'm afraid I can't help with your original question because I do not know anything about cat pregnancy. It may be best to take her to the vet and have her checked out if you are concerned about complications.

As to others' responses about spaying your cat, please understand that this is a strongly pro-spay and neuter site. Most active members strongly advocate pet alteration because of its many benefits to individual cats and the feline population in general. Also understand that many people here either foster homeless cats/kittens or work for shelters trying to adopt out homeless cats/kittens. They see hundreds of loving animals who have no place to go, and this can be very frustrating and emotionally draining, which is why they feel so strongly that you should have your cat spayed. Obviously, we all just want the best for you and your cat, and we know that YOU must make all the decisions for her care and well-being. No one is trying to make you feel bad or upset you. I think everyone is just expressing what they would do in your situation, take it or leave it. And, if you don't want your cat to go into heat anymore, regardless of whether or not she is pregnant, spaying is the only way to stop that.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Well I understand that gg doesn't plan to abandon kittens she wants to have them and love them find them homes, etc, etc..That's all great but I just think this whole calling for a mate for an indoors cat is very frustrating for her and probably frustrating for the people around her as well. I can't stand watching a cat in heat in a house because it's just sad the frustration they go through...Anyway a lot of times I dont understand why people even bother putting male kittens through getting neutered, it is surgery and stress no matter how beneficial it is, and for a male the frustration isn't as big to find a mate...So an indoors cat that NEVER goes out- I don't see the point of it being neutered, except for the spraying but that still depends on the cat..spayed is different maybe I'm wrong but I don't see this kind of frustration in male cats..
Actually, it is just as frustrating for a male, as they have hormones raging all the time, not just when they are in heat. There is the spraying factor, although not all males will spray (although you have obviously never been in a house with an unneutered male, it takes weeks after neutering for the smell to go, I have them in a well ventilated room but it is bad - my first adult, I couldnt tell he had even pooed till I saw his tray, the smell was that strong - and he only had one testicle) but there is also the cancer risk - unneutered males are at risk of testicular and prostrate cancer - the only cure for which is neutering. So yes, there are just as many benefits for a male